Carbon recapture

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Carbon recapture

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:02 am I agree Doc, over 4.6 billion years of climate change by forces our species will never control and are still learning the existence of.

And yes Donny, snot nosed kids who don't know the difference between weather and climate can stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

We can still do a better job of not shitting in our own beds and we have been making huge strides in that over the past century.
Bitcoin mining says you’re wrong TopTop.

One step forward, two back.

Carbon recapture, planting trees ain’t gonna make a difference.
You are intelligent enough to know that this started with the coal fired Industrial Age and that no matter what we do will not reverse, slow or change anything.

The climate scientists I worked with over the years know this. They have been sounding the alarm bells and the corporate/union politicos just don’t give a shit.
It shouldn’t be called climate change or crisis, it should be called climate unpredictability because even the best scientific minds cannot model what happens next.

https://www.theguardian.com/environmen ... SApp_Other

It’s why I retired and got a sailboat to just enjoy life.
I still dabble in community sustainability (or as I call it, behavioural change) but I started my grieving for the people of the planet a long time ago and now just accept our fate (remember, one of the stages of grief is denial, as well as anger).

The dinosaurs came and went and so will we. No philosophy or prophecy needed. Just the end of the Anthropocene Epoch. No bang but a whimper. I just hope the fucking Canucks win a Cup by then! :mex:

Meh, at least I got to fuck a lot of nice international pussy 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Arachnid wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:47 am
*it’s all too true, I was trained as a Climate Leader by Al Gore’s sexy francophone minions in Montreal :mrgreen:
For context....Al Gore's "sexy francophone minions":

:lol:

Sorry Spidey I couldn't resist that one lol
If you need air...call it in
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:13 am
Arachnid wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:47 am
*it’s all too true, I was trained as a Climate Leader by Al Gore’s sexy francophone minions in Montreal :mrgreen:
For context....Al Gore's "sexy francophone minions":

:lol:

Sorry Spidey I couldn't resist that one lol
That is your Cousin It, non?!

The Québécois ladies have the tastiest catholic holes that side of the Rockies <3
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

There is only one person that got it right on this thread…

Before the big reveal though, a question?

Do you know why they keep saying ‘by 2050’ (earliest being 2030)?

Besides kicking the political can waaaaay down the road.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion….whoops, wrong intro….
I’ve met with political party leaders, MPs, MLAs, MPPs, corporate heads, captains of industry blah blah blah (Hi Greta :mrgreen: ).

It didn’t change a thing. It’s due to the Pendulum Effect butt more on that later.

What is evident after a decade of advocating, bitching, cajoling, manipulating, encouraging and and outright door to door and face to face with climate change deniers and inaction is that it’s not a consumption or capitalist problem it’s psychological.

It’s all in the head, our lizard heads that is.
Our basic response to stress (survival) is Freeze, Fight or Flee.
To encourage behavioural change and overcome our basic survival instincts to deal with climate change we came up with…recycling :oops:
That’s all it was meant to do, change peoples behaviour.
Not to save the world.

It’s one of the worst things you can do. Recycle fossil fuel plastics.
The first R is reduce. Recycling increased consumption.

Hybrid and electric cars was the same thing. Change peoples behaviour over a generation.
Terrible outcome. EVs are not the solution.

Energy use reduction is the only proven action that has the biggest impact. Efficiency.

Now who gets the CC Darwinese award?

Don Lever

He is right.

Sit back and do nothing. Time to die (quoting Bladerunner again).

The old white privileged men of the historically most prosperous post war gen…Baby Boomers are incapable of changing. Flight, Freeze or Flee.

Blue box and maybe a more efficient vehicle but get them to ride a bike to work?! :shock:

I’m not a Boomer, I’m Gen X so I get the midline view on them and the Millennials.
Gen M ain’t behaving the same way as their parents or grandparents. They can’t afford to.
Freeze, Flight or Fight.

Between 2030-2050 the Boomers will go bye bye. A whole generation of consumers and inaction will be gone and the policy makers and power brokers with them.

Stand aside, die off, go extinct.
It’s not their fault. Behavioural change is hard.
Our survival instinct is ingrained in us. Freeze, Flight or Flee.*

*read up on PolyVagal Theory for a real deep dive into how our autonomic nervous system works (my former was a psychologist so I was privy to many mental health practices and effects).

So that’s aboot tit. Do nothing because you can’t anyways.

Just die off. OK Boomers?!

We can help and prepare for the next Gen political systems (my focus now) and technology to have a more efficient lifestyle (food grown in local hubs on buildings, using shit to power your building…digesters, bioengineering building materials like fungi, hemp etc).

History won’t be kind to DLs generation. All that power and money and not much changed.

That’s why I’m a Transitionist and not an Environmentalst.

The new paradigm won’t include me either :cry:

The new humans won’t be the old humans. Look to the past to predict the future (because our behaviour doesn’t really change).
Neanderthals (New Man) made way for us Homos and we will evolve into something else (New research shows Neanderthals dna actually exist in us so we absorbed them like the Borg).

Our salvation or evolution will include AI and we will become half computers in order to survive. Quantum everything!
The speculative (sci) fiction writers knew/know this

Sorry Doc, but your good book doesn’t account for this except maybe predicting the apocalypse which isn’t really a bad thing, it’s a necessary thing to get rid of those Boomers that might try to extend their lifespans :mrgreen:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... SApp_Other
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:28 am
So THAT'S what they mean by "woke". :wow:

Yeahno, Spidey you weren't listening, there's a mini ice age coming bro...
____
Try to focus on someday.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Meh - I think we will all perish in the inevitable war between China, Russia and the USA. I think it'll happen by 2030 and if not, it'll definitely happen before 2050. Oh well, I had a good life :drink: :look:
'
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

BCExpat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:42 pm Meh - I think we will all perish in the inevitable war between China, Russia and the USA. I think it'll happen by 2030 and if not, it'll definitely happen before 2050. Oh well, I had a good life :drink: :look:
'
As long as the Canucks win a cup first then I am ok. And maybe an evening of riveting discussions with Salma Hayek.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

BCExpat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:42 pm Meh - I think we will all perish in the inevitable war between China, Russia and the USA. I think it'll happen by 2030 and if not, it'll definitely happen before 2050. Oh well, I had a good life :drink: :look:
'
I'm calling they're all hanging together behind a curtain plotting other means of our inevitable demise, not necessarily by death.....
DeLevering since 1999.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

'
Good chance it happens right after the upcoming Beijing Olympics, two front war in Ukraine US/NATO vs Russia - China and in the Taiwan Strait US/NATO vs China - Russia. US probably can't win either war but probably feels it can't afford to back down. Either way if it doesn't go nuclear we're likely to see a new world power emerge from this.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

*btw - scuttlebutt coming out of the recent Valdai Discussion Club event has it that in the event Russia intervenes in Ukraine, it wont stop at the Donbass. We should expect the Russians if they decide to go, to take Odessa, Kherson and the entire Russian speaking Black Sea coast and connect it up with Transnistria. There would be no reason for them not to, should they invade Ukraine.
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I like where this is going.

Nuclear combat toe to toe with the Roosskies!

No more carbon recapture problems in a nuclear winter amirite? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Not much point in getting vaxxed if that's the case.
DeLevering since 1999.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:00 pm
'
Good chance it happens right after the upcoming Beijing Olympics, two front war in Ukraine US/NATO vs Russia - China and in the Taiwan Strait US/NATO vs China - Russia. US probably can't win either war but probably feels it can't afford to back down. Either way if it doesn't go nuclear we're likely to see a new world power emerge from this.
If they end up going to war with either China or Russia, it'll be over in a couple of hours, with the planet destroyed. There will be no winners at that point.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:15 pm .
I like where this is going.

Nuclear combat toe to toe with the Roosskies!

No more carbon recapture problems in a nuclear winter amirite? :mex:
Dammit you are correct once again my friend.

This is uncanny. ;)
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

BCExpat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:11 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:00 pm
'
If they end up going to war with either China or Russia, it'll be over in a couple of hours, with the planet destroyed. There will be no winners at that point.
It's likely to be a two front war against the combined Eurasian axis powers of Russia and China on their respective doorsteps. I wouldn't necessarily agree that it escalates to a nuclear confrontation though. There's every reason to believe that saner heads will prevail and we'll have our first conventional superpower war in 75 years. Imagine the ideologues currently in power having to ask the so called deplorables that they despise so much to once again answer the call and go half way around the world to fight China and Russia on their ground. Something tells me that this time they might not be so keen.

Apparently the US military has wargamed a US/China confrontation in the Taiwan Strait 18 times and China has prevailed 18 times, so they won't be overconfident heading into such a war. And Russia enjoys overwhelming superiority in the Ukraine region as well, I would think at least equal to China's advantage around Taiwan. Problem is, the US seems to still have the mindset, or at least the hawks in Washington do, that the it is still at the height of it's unchallenged military power like it was in 2000 back in the unipolar moment but this is far from the case today.

It seems to me that these generation Zees or whatever they're called will regret not paying attention to important issues like war and peace and always instead whining about climate and gender and white man bad and all those other silly things. I really hope I'm wrong about this but the outlook is far from promising right now.
el rey del mambo