Carbon recapture

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Carbon recapture

Post by rats19 »

Here is one link

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/these-c ... phere.html

Isn’t this the answer or am I a conspiratorial don’t trust the government’s of world doofus?

Read do some homework and let me know your thoughts
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Carbon recapture

Post by donlever »

rats19 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:28 pm
.... or am I a conspiratorial don’t trust the government’s of world doofus?
I may or may not comment on the link at some point but as far as the above, change doofus to realist and you're gold.
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

We'll screw this one up too, just watch. Suddenly we'll start losing green space on the globe because the carbon dioxide is what green stuff needs to grow.....that and we're always meddling with shit and getting it wrong.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

It's not hard...plant more trees and quit with the fuckin creampies already (scowling at you China and India)
If you need air...call it in
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

The people that finance this process are the same people that own Shell Oil et al. They own the solar companies. And they own BP.

They're playing both the black and the white pieces.

The entire system is a controlled manipulation of all of us.

Fuck China and India.

Vanguard and Blackrock are well on their way to owning the world.

20 trillion in assets by 2028 those assets being anything and everything.

Rockefellers Rothschilds Koch Schwab Windsors and more.

The Great Reset.

The New World Order.

Build Back Better.

You will own nothing.

And you will be happy about it.

These pukes have been talking about this shit for 50 years.

They're fucking with you and me and everything.

The WEF has been gathering for 50 years as a group under the guise of making the world a better place. The ruling elite. Yet the planet gets more fucked up every year. If they really wanted to make things better the power and money is there.

But that's not what they want.

No one who has real power cares about saving the planet...they care about owning your ass.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2021/04/bil ... -vanguard/

Now you know what I really think.
DeLevering since 1999.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Thnx Donny I’ll read more on it
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

...watch the video.
DeLevering since 1999.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Will do…
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Looks like Biden had a snooze over at the recent climate shindig :)

el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

rats19 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:28 pm Here is one link

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/these-c ... phere.html

Isn’t this the answer or am I a conspiratorial don’t trust the government’s of world doofus?

Read do some homework and let me know your thoughts
It's part of the solution, but it's even better to not release the CO2 in the first place.

The Norwegians are doing a lot of this, to be able to hold their head high despite their oil industry.
The problem is that this is just a cost, it will not generate profits. So you either make it mandatory for certain industries to offset their CO2 emissions through carbon capture, or you finance it through taxes, fees or levies.

The advantage of going green instead is that those industries actually generate profits.
Electric cars, battery factories, solar and wind power. Carbonfree steel. Hydrogen. Geothermal.
All those things are hot commodities and you can earn good money investing in it.

Carbon capture... yeah, you can sell some of the captured carbon, but you will never make a profit from it, just offset some of the cost, and the problem is that if you sell the carbon, it will most likely get released again, in one form and another. What the Norwegians do is they pump it down into deserted oil wells, way underground, and trap it there.

So, to sum it up, it can certainly be part of the solution, but it will never be at the center of solving the problem.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:54 pm It's not hard...plant more trees and quit with the fuckin creampies already (scowling at you China and India)
Well, more than 100 countries just pledged to do that at the COP26 Climate summit in Glasgow.
Let's just hope that this isn't just hot air but that they actually follow through this time. :|
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59088498

Unfortunately, in many third world countries they don't give two figs about the climate, they just worry about putting food on the table. And if logging in the rainforest pays good money, that'll what you'll do.

Then again, emissions in third world countries aren't all that high, so what they do is not as vital as what the rich countries do.

China is responsible for 28% of carbon emissions, the USA for 15% and the EU for roughly 10%. Thus these three entities control more than half of the emissions, and as long as all three are doing their fair share, we may be able to start addressing the problem. And amazingly China is actually slowly starting to talk the talk. Let's see if they can walk the walk as well. They have vowed to stop funding coal power plants abroad, and will start restricting it in China as well before 2030. And what they mean by "before 2030". If they mean 2029 we're in trouble. If it's closer to 2024 we may get our hopes up.

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

donlever wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:21 pm
The WEF has been gathering for 50 years as a group under the guise of making the world a better place. The ruling elite. Yet the planet gets more fucked up every year. If they really wanted to make things better the power and money is there.
Globalisation has helped improve the world in remarkable ways though.

As recently as 1950, roughly three quarters of the world's population lived in extreme poverty. Today it is one eighth.
It has even started to fall in absolute numbers, peaking just above two billion people in the 1970's and today being less than one billion.
In other words, extreme poverty has been more than halved in absolute numbers over the past fifty years, and as a proportion of world population the change is so dramatic it is hard to even believe it.

More and more children have access to education...

Life expectancy keeps rising...

All in all the world keeps getting better. Even war casualties has a relatively positive long term trend.

It is often hard to discern these patterns, because news media tends to focus on th ethings that go wrong, things we need to address.
Positive news is usually flying under the radar. "No one died today" is a boring headline, and "Another record harvest!" is only considered interesting in communist government controlled media or rural Iowa. :look:

This gives us a bias towards thinking that things are constantly getting worse, when in reality all the evidence points to the opposite.
We are also stuck in a worldview of the 70's, where we believe that most of the world's population is still living in poverty with no access to schools, safe drinking water or health care. That was true in the seventies, but the world has changed dramatically in the last fifty years.

Globalisation might seem like a losing game for those belonging to the richest 10% on earth (basically the US, Canada, Western Europe and Australia), but for the vast majority it has been a godsend. And it hasn't even been bad for us. The living standard today is by many measures way higher than it was in the 70's even in these countries. Not by every measure, and some groups have fallen behind, but in general.
People live longer, have better housing, more cars, more electronics, can afford better food, more people have college degrees, etc, etc.

And yet most people feel that things are getting worse and somehow you are getting cheated and robbed. It's weird.
But I guess it has a lot to do with psychology. If your life got 20% better, but your neighbour's life got 50% better you get upset.
Or if your life is the same, but the poor people down the street are catching up, that's even worse.

I recommend that you read Factfulness by Hans Rosling. It's an eye opener.

And if you still don't believe me, check out this graph from his book and then tell me the world isn't getting better:

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Trees do pretty much fuck all when it comes to carbon capture. Have to go to lower level life forms, like algae to be really effective.

Pond scum for all.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:06 am Trees do pretty much fuck all when it comes to carbon capture. Have to go to lower level life forms, like algae to be really effective.

Pond scum for all.
Sure. Bluegreen algae are the main oxygen source, and as such also important for carbon capture. But I think their level is pretty stable. Rain forests do help as well, and considering how rapidly those are getting deztroyed, i think a stop to deforestation and trying to reverse it would have at least some impact. Increasing the amount of bluegreen algae in the oceans, on the other hand, could have unforseen consequences for the food chain. When there is too much algae they tend to start produce toxins.