Guitars

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Re: Guitars

Post by UWSaint »

donlever wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:50 am
UWSaint wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:45 pm The great thing about buying used guitars in good condition (or better) is that if you treat them well you can sell them for what you pay for them and sometimes more.
....plus they sound better..
Sometimes that’s true. With most things, the thing which defines the thing is the thing to be sought after. But the direction is not uniformly downhill; there’s good and bad with each generation of the technology. Some experiments (or cost cutting measures) get abandoned when they don’t work out; some new things work well.

The number one feature of the sell-ability of gear is not that you will resell it (though you might), it’s that you can justify the purchase as “would I like to rent only for time value of money a Les Paul Custom?” instead of “should I spent $4,500 on this guitar?”

For me, I can see adding a guitar or two to the collection. For example, I don’t have a 12 string anymore (used to). I don’t have a strat body guitar — I once owned one but it never felt right, and they’ve never felt right. (Same was true with teles and then I came across one that felt perfect and was beautiful). But for the most part, if I am going to buy a type, I am going to sell that type. Gear funds gear, hakuna matada.
Hono_rary Canadian
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

I like how Pete takes Smothers guitar and then Tommy starts to take part....

Choreographed?

Sure.

Still fun tho....

donlever wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:21 am
DeLevering since 1999.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Interesting take - my old, tinnitus filled ears don't hear much difference, but at about 8:30, you might notice a difference between two of them. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2vpU3hgbRs

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

What an awesome guitar. I don’t love Strats, always been more of a Tele guy, but that 62 was sick. I could definitely hear a difference right away between the Squire and the 62. Harder to hear between the other 3, though the 62 definitely comes out on top.

The relic sounded amazing too, but different from the 62 and the American Vintage which were closest.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

So not long after this thread went dark, I added a Fender Meteora. Impulse buy, hadn’t seen one in person, saw an ad, thought it looked cool, thought it might tick the S-style box (though it’s got humbuckers, with the coil split option). Have to say, I love it, though not for the find-the-strat sound. Sounds best with the humbuckers engaged in the middle position, which isn’t usually the deal, it it? Players plus model, made in Mexico, and I think the QC on it was better than many American Fenders I’ve tried out in recent years. Pau Farrow neck — never had that wood before — and it’s a great feel. No fret sprouting whatsoever. Definitely a value as it was only 3 months off the lot and I got it for $300 below typical list…. But unlike all the standard models, maybe the tag keeps plummeting. Who knows, but for now it’s a total keeper because I like playing it. It’s the electric I pick up 2/3rds of the time.

But tomorrow (or possibly Wednesday) I’m picking up another guitar which I’ve been eyeing for 9 months and have been waitlisted on for 6 months. 2nd “new” electric guitar in many years of playing—last time I bought a new electric was in 1991…. This one is a 2d gen Yamaha Revstar (standard). The version with P-90s. Wanted to get out of the Gibson/Fender thing, and wanted to get a guitar with p-90. I shopped for smaller builders and yet settled on another giant…. 30 days to see if it fits. Almost certainly assembled in Indonesia at the Cort factory, which seems to be pretty good these days but we will see. All I know is the guitar’s been out for a year and they almost never come up “used” on reverb despite the slow trickle of available ones. Hoping that means purchasers have been happy with the product….
Hono_rary Canadian
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hadn't seen the Revstar before - looks like a keeper! :) Watched a couple of videos, and it's got some great tones.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

A buddy of mine has/had one of those. Definitely took me by surprise. Yamaha makes quality stuff…..or at least they used to. We all know the conversation surrounding the Fender and Gibson owned brands that come out of Asia and the history of poor QC and inferior materials, but Yamaha has always bucked that “tradition” when it comes to their higher end musical instruments.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

My first guitar was a Yamaha Strat-style guitar. Incredible finish and quality, but heavy as fuck. The guy who sold it to me also made the hard case himself... out of concrete or something. It almost killed me lugging it 10 blocks back to my place.

A friend of mine still has a Japanese Fender Sunburst Strat (from the 80's or 90's?) and I swear the quality is better than anything that came out of the US factories of the same period.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Saving the forest will leave us with only air guitars.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:46 pm Hadn't seen the Revstar before - looks like a keeper! :) Watched a couple of videos, and it's got some great tones.
So...I got the guitar and played for about 3 hours last night. I am pretty sure that its not going back....

There are a *lot* of tones coming from this thing. While there are two pickups, there are five pickup positions -- I don't get the sense that the 2 and 4 positions are doing the out of phase strat things as much as they are changing the "mix" of the bridge and neck pickups. There's a push-pull pot that they advertise as a "boost" -- and it does seem to bump the dbs slightly, but its main effect I think is to provide a "boxy" tone that you might produce with a hollow body. A bit gimmicky, but has a place.

Other noticeable things: excellent sustain -- you know when an electric resonates not plugged in that its going to have good sustain. The neck is a little different -- its a bit on the fatter end (though not 1950s fat), and this is my preference since I learned on full sized acoustics and didn't pick up an electric until I was 15. But whatever the finish on the neck it, its very conducive to the left hand moving up and down the neck easily. I don't love the fretboard and the stainless steel frets themselves are a little "fatter" than I'm used to, and all of this combined with a short-to-medium scale length will take a little time to adjust to, but at the end of the day, I think I only notice these things because I can compare them to the other stuff I've had or have.

Its smaller than I anticipated -- I heard they increased the size for this 2d version and I was expecting something in the neighborhood of the Ric 330 I own. But its just a little bigger than an SG, and there doesn't seem to be a huge distance between the bridge and the bottom of the guitar -- and all of this means the guitar "sits" smaller (your left hand isn't as extended when you play near the nut -- the middle of the fretboard is right there). There's no neck "dive" when strapped on, which is a problem with double cut guitars.

The pickups are punchy yet very articulate when you've got the tone know dialed in. Its excellent for clean sounds, and I was drawn into playing arpeggiated patterns because of the fine articulation. That's probably the most noticeable attribute.

So my initial impressions are that its well worth the price and different enough that I can "justify" its existence in my collection....
Hono_rary Canadian
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

UWSaint wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:52 am
Cornuck wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:46 pm Hadn't seen the Revstar before - looks like a keeper! :) Watched a couple of videos, and it's got some great tones.

The neck is a little different -- its a bit on the fatter end (though not 1950s fat), and this is my preference since I learned on full sized acoustics and didn't pick up an electric until I was 15.

Its smaller than I anticipated -- I heard they increased the size for this 2d version and I was expecting something in the neighborhood of the Ric 330 I own.
I can see why you’d find the neck fat if you have a Ric…..I find my 330 neck to be too slender after having played mostly acoustic for the past 3 years, and prior to my Ric my main electrics were a Tele and a Les Paul.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Mëds wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:21 am I can see why you’d find the neck fat if you have a Ric…..I find my 330 neck to be too slender after having played mostly acoustic for the past 3 years, and prior to my Ric my main electrics were a Tele and a Les Paul.
Yeah, the Ric is the definition of the slim neck and that neck is not my bag. If this guitar had a Ric's neck I would have sent it back. I can barely deal with it on the Ric, but the tradeoff is a guitar with a completely unique voicing that isn't duplicated by any other guitar.

With this new guitar, I was concerned the neck would be too thin, I was buying it before playing it, and I couldn't really get a sense from the specs or the reviewers where it fell out on the spectrum. Turns out its in the middle, which in my head was fatter than I expected because I was expecting it to be a little slimmer. But I am *happy* that's the case.
Hono_rary Canadian
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

UWSaint wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:36 pm
Mëds wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:21 am I can see why you’d find the neck fat if you have a Ric…..I find my 330 neck to be too slender after having played mostly acoustic for the past 3 years, and prior to my Ric my main electrics were a Tele and a Les Paul.
Yeah, the Ric is the definition of the slim neck and that neck is not my bag. If this guitar had a Ric's neck I would have sent it back. I can barely deal with it on the Ric, but the tradeoff is a guitar with a completely unique voicing that isn't duplicated by any other guitar.

With this new guitar, I was concerned the neck would be too thin, I was buying it before playing it, and I couldn't really get a sense from the specs or the reviewers where it fell out on the spectrum. Turns out its in the middle, which in my head was fatter than I expected because I was expecting it to be a little slimmer. But I am *happy* that's the case.
Yeah, it’s always a risk buying a guitar you haven’t played first. I’ve done that with 2 electrics, but that was a $2200 American Tele and my Ric. High end stuff is generally safe and I love both guitars. I’ll never do it with an acoustic though, way too much variability in tones and body etc.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Mëds wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:00 pm
UWSaint wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:36 pm

Yeah, it’s always a risk buying a guitar you haven’t played first. I’ve done that with 2 electrics, but that was a $2200 American Tele and my Ric. High end stuff is generally safe and I love both guitars. I’ll never do it with an acoustic though, way too much variability in tones and body etc.
The thing about higher end guitars in that price range from the legendary manufacturers is that they seem to hold their value. It’s just the time-value of money you are missing out on and any inconvenience when selling. The other thing you lose, I guess, when you sell is seller’s remorse. It usually kicks in after 7 years….
Hono_rary Canadian
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

On the lighter side - some guitar humour...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeIxJzdPD0A