Guitars

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Guitars

Post by Topper »

Who knows anything about them?

My son wants to start learning so we're thinking of getting him a guitar. He's been playing brass in the school band for a couple of years but is now wanting to shift to guitar so I'm not overly concerned about it being a one week and done deal.

Looking at beginner guitars and consensus of reviews says Fender CD60S and Yamaha FG800 are the leaders of the pack. The Fender appears to be a bit better for smaller hands. Factory mass produced decent guitars just under $300

Those were the choices until a friend offered up a used Art & Lutherie Legacy, hand made Canadian, with a neck somewhat? like the Fender at the same price as the new Fender and Yamaha.

The Fender and Yamaha are acoustic dreadnaughts where as the Art & Lutherie is a acoustic/electric concert hall, all have solid spruce tops.All have solid spruce tops.

Give me some help with it.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: Guitars

Post by Carl Yagro »

Topper, you're in luck.

Beginner & intermediate guitar prices have dropped and quality has gone up significantly. Even mass produced ones are pretty good these days.

Obviously, the best way is to actually try before you buy because when I was a beginner, my biggest criteria was:

1. Neck size that fit the players hands (smaller body, neck, fretboard for younger humans, etc.)
2. Low string action (makes it easier and less painful to play)
3. Ability to keep it in tune (guitars that can't stay in tune suck)
4. Fit and finish (good tuning pegs, straight neck, etc.)
5. Decent sound quality & materials

To me, Yamaha has a better brand name over Fender in terms of quality BUT that could have changed over the years. For those prices, I don't think you can go wrong with either. You might even consider a higher acoustic/electric model as they are a lot more affordable these days.

Also, consider a guitar with a cut-away body so he can play further up the neck when he improves to playing lead or whatever.

The dreadnaught body might be too big for some. Personally, I've never like the size because I've never need the big sound (as a parent, you might also appreciate this).

Lastly, if you know he's going to stick at it, the custom Art & Luthrie might be the best choice.

Not sure if that helps.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Thanks, all of your points have me leaning towards the Art & Lutherie, I imagine it will retain value more so than the mass produced models while being something he won't be playing himself out of anytime soon. It also comes with a very nice case (~$100 value) so he getting an intermediate level guitar for entry level price. The Art & Lutherie retails ~$600.

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Lucky kid
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Fuck I'd Kijiji a 100 dollar yamaha junior size for a kids first guitar. Theres a pretty strong chance it ends up in the corner once the fingers swell
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:42 pmLucky kid
He's paying most of it and working off the rest of it.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:57 pm Fuck I'd Kijiji a 100 dollar yamaha junior size for a kids first guitar. Theres a pretty strong chance it ends up in the corner once the fingers swell
Back in the summer of 69... oh yaah
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Topper wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:57 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:42 pmLucky kid
He's paying most of it and working off the rest of it.
:thumbs: Good parenting
Last edited by Carl Yagro on Wed May 12, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:57 pm Fuck I'd Kijiji a 100 dollar yamaha junior size for a kids first guitar. Theres a pretty strong chance it ends up in the corner once the fingers swell
If he hadn't been keen on school band and reading music already, that is direction we'd be going. Somehow a 6 string ukelele guitar showed up in the house a few weeks ago and he's been playing it steady.

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

rats19 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:07 pm Back in the summer of 69... oh yaah
"Me and my baby in ah, 69..."

Oh yaaah
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Bryan, show us the side of your face that doesn't look like the surface of the moon.

Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:02 pm Thanks, all of your points have me leaning towards the Art & Lutherie, I imagine it will retain value more so than the mass produced models while being something he won't be playing himself out of anytime soon. It also comes with a very nice case (~$100 value) so he getting an intermediate level guitar for entry level price. The Art & Lutherie retails ~$600.
A&L have been around for a while. Decent. But they are entry level acoustics despite being "hand made" in Canada.

Yamaha has a better quality product at the entry level than Fender, particularly in acoustic guitars.

Anything coming for Asia will be hit and miss in terms of fretboard quality. Often the frets will stick out beyond the edge of the board which can make for some uncomfortable playing, this is less of a thing with Yamaha as well though

Intonation is a big issue too, less so at the beginner level when most of the playing is in the first 3-5 frets, but if he gets to the point of wanting to play basic songs and do the strum/sing thing, the addition of a capo on the neck will be a frustrating experience if the intonation is crap.

Guitar is an interesting one to transition to. Was going to put my son into it but the music teacher said that he recommends kids being a bit older or have a track record of being committed to doing something they start at. Piano, and wind instruments, are linear in approach. Up and down the instrument for increasing and decreasing octaves.....also not hard on the fingers. Guitar adds an extra few dimensions. You have the X-axis of the fretboard, but also the Y-axis. Sometimes going up the neck means going down the scale in notes depending on the string etc. Then there is the need to push through the sore fingers as you build up the callouses.....my kid was 6 when we were starting him off, so he got piano initially.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Thanks Mëds. Did a ton of research on A&L yesterday. Yes, the the entry niche of the Godin line, but that is his level and I suspect this will carry him for a few years. I get the impression that there is a bit more effort in fit and finish, especially on the neck, of the A&L over the mas produced models. When it comes to price/value, I'm looking at $200 for the A&L ($300 with great case a few other goodies) vs $300 for the Fender or Yamaha. I'm guessing the size A&L is also a better fit for him.

He's been noodling around with 6 string uke for a while and began putting money he's been earning aside for his guitar. Buying one is largely his decision, steering him not waste his money is my job. I'm not too concern about his commitment, he's demonstrated in the past that when he really wants something he'll do the hard work to achieve it.

Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:48 am Thanks Mëds. Did a ton of research on A&L yesterday. Yes, the the entry niche of the Godin line, but that is his level and I suspect this will carry him for a few years. I get the impression that there is a bit more effort in fit and finish, especially on the neck, of the A&L over the mas produced models. When it comes to price/value, I'm looking at $200 for the A&L ($300 with great case a few other goodies) vs $300 for the Fender or Yamaha. I'm guessing the size A&L is also a better fit for him.

He's been noodling around with 6 string uke for a while and began putting money he's been earning aside for his guitar. Buying one is largely his decision, steering him not waste his money is my job. I'm not too concern about his commitment, he's demonstrated in the past that when he really wants something he'll do the hard work to achieve it.
I've played a few A&L's. I didn't notice much difference in the size compared to the others. Get him started on light gauge strings, makes it a bit easier at the outset.

Oh and check out https://reverb.com/ca/ for when he's a bit more advanced and wants other stuff. ;)
Last edited by Meds on Thu May 13, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Low string height is nice too.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."