Guitars

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Guitars

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:24 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:15 pm I own a

Fender Telecaster
Larivee acoustic
Gibson acoustic
Banjo

I’m toying with the idea of spending stupid money on a hand wired fender Princeton reverb amp
Tele
Larrivee
Gretsch Parlour Guitar
Epi Les Paul
Rickenbacker 336

Vox AC30
Fender Champion 600
Nice gear Mëds
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Speaking of guitars...

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Sorry, I missed this thread. Guess I was still in the hospital...

Both daughters play the piano, but the younger one also plays the guitar.

The first one we bought was actually picked up at a Price Club somewhere in Ontario when we were visiting my sister-in-law.
We got a great price, CAD 100 for a Yamaha, don’t remember the exact model, but we figured it was a deal we couldn’t resist and might be good to have around the house if either of the kids wanted to learn another instrument, and as mentioned, the younger one did.

A word of warning and/or advice! Guitars are extremely sensitive for cold. I left the yamaha one out in the car for a couple of hours in mid winter, and the neck of the guitar was never the same. You can still play it, but it’s not perfectly straight anymore. Not sure it gets quite as cold where you live, but make sure to keep it warm.

We later got her a Taylor GS Mini. I think it was Mëds or Carl that mentioned hand size and reach. My younger daughter has small hands, and the Mini is a slightly scaled down version, meant for travel, but with a huge sound. It’s a bit more expensive, but not crazy expensive.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gs-mini-

And speaking of Taylor guitars, are you all familiar with this gem?

Dave Carroll had his Taylor guitar broken when travelling with United Airlines. After several failed attempts to get compensation for this he told them ”OK, I am going to write three songs about this and put them online”.
The first song (see above) went viral and had like a million views within a week, it now has more than 20 million views...
United contacted him right away and made sure he got his money. :lol:
Last edited by Per on Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Topper wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:40 pm Picked up the A&L, the deal was too good to pass on and it sounds great.

Thanks for the advice

Nice!
I've got 4 A & L's, the newer ones are setup much better from the factory than the old ones.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

What part of the world are you in there Dangler...wicked looking back yard.

I have 2 Washburn acoustic, one with a pick up...had them since new and for years...same ones we talked about at the old place in that guitar thread...the tone I get out of them after all these years of playing is phenomenal....they sing lever when strummed...
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

That is Topper's Grand Forks beard farm i doobie leave
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:25 am Nice too see there's a bunch of guitar nerds on site. :) (with Topper adding to the junior division)

I've been hacking around for about close to 40 years, can't play worth shit, can't play any song straight through, but it's a great way to relax. :D

I've picked up a few guitars (more recently), but can't justify the expense of the Fenders and Gibsons, etc. The tinnitus, lack of rhythm and tone-deafness hasn't stopped me from buying a few along the way.

Fender 210 Acoustic - my oldest, from the 80s. A classic.
Hagstrom Acoustic/Electric - my 'go to' in the evenings
Hagstrom Swede (Les Paul style)
G&L Tribute (Strat style) - my 'go to' when I plug in
Godin A6 bass - won in a (somewhat) rigged bar raffle. ;)
Dia (70s Japanese Les Paul style) - can't find much about this one, but had for about 30 years.
A custom art piece, Strat-style - one of a kind
2 cigar box guitars
And a $10 classical I bought at a yard sale last month.

For amps, I have a Epiphone Valve Jr tube amp - sweet and simple, and a Spark practice amp - which has some very cool bells and whistles with the app.

Sadly, I've been too busy to pick any of them up for the past few weeks. :(

Also, I've got a drum kit - but DAMN, that is hard to learn!!
I think you’d love a visit to this place: https://www.guitarsthemuseum.com/static/sv/
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Per wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:37 am
I think you’d love a visit to this place: https://www.guitarsthemuseum.com/static/sv/
Looks fun! Been there?

Speaking of famous guitars, Johnny Ramone's guitar is up for auction.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Per wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:53 am We later got her a Taylor GS Mini. I think it was Mëds or Carl that mentioned hand size and reach. My younger daughter has small hands, and the Mini is a slightly scaled down version, meant for travel, but with a huge sound. It’s a bit more expensive, but not crazy expensive.
Love Taylor guitars.

When acoustics were cheaply massed produced and weren't as quality and cheap as they are now, Taylor offered good quality fit & finish, reasonable mid price-range guitars in a wide range of styles and models.

They were one of the first manufacturers that I found to meet my standards of price, sound & playing quality with the available size dimensions. Back then, there weren't too many quality acoustic-electrics with cutaway bodies that fit the bill. Great value.

I'm still in the market for one myself.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:53 am Sorry, I missed this thread. Guess I was still in the hospital...

Both daughters play the piano, but the younger one also plays the guitar.

The first one we bought was actually picked up at a Price Club somewhere in Ontario when we were visiting my sister-in-law.
We got a great price, CAD 100 for a Yamaha, don’t remember the exact model, but we figured it was a deal we couldn’t resist and might be good to have around the house if either of the kids wanted to learn another instrument, and as mentioned, the younger one did.

A word of warning and/or advice! Guitars are extremely sensitive for cold. I left the yamaha one out in the car for a couple of hours in mid winter, and the neck of the guitar was never the same. You can still play it, but it’s not perfectly straight anymore. Not sure it gets quite as cold where you live, but make sure to keep it warm.

We later got her a Taylor GS Mini. I think it was Mëds or Carl that mentioned hand size and reach. My younger daughter has small hands, and the Mini is a slightly scaled down version, meant for travel, but with a huge sound. It’s a bit more expensive, but not crazy expensive.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gs-mini-

And speaking of Taylor guitars, are you all familiar with this gem?

Dave Carroll had his Taylor guitar broken when travelling with United Airlines. After several failed attempts to get compensation for this he told them ”OK, I am going to write three songs about this and put them online”.
The first song (see above) went viral and had like a million views within a week, it now has more than 20 million views...
United contacted him right away and made sure he got his money. :lol:
Did you bother taking the Yamaha into a shop? Most guitars have an adjustable rod in the neck for dealing with what you're talking about.

I had mine looked at last summer by a quality luthier, he took one look down the neck and commented "Whoa....ski jump." Fixed it in no time. Cheaper guitars don't all have this feature, however my $300 Gretsch Jim Dandy (a parlor guitar) even has one.

Acoustics are also VERY sensitive to humidity. I actually have some cracking in the surface along the wood grain that showed up 6 months after I bought the guitar and had moved to Grande Prairie for 10 months and wasn't storing it in the humidified case.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:19 pm
Per wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:37 am
Looks fun! Been there?

Speaking of famous guitars, Johnny Ramone's guitar is up for auction.
Yeah, I’ve been there. It’s mind boggling. Hundreds of guitars. They have pretty much every model and every year from Gibson and Fender from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s and a lot of other stuff too. Quite a lot of the Hagström models too, and a huge collection of b-bender guitars. I don’t understand how they could afford to buy them all... I mean, it’s two brothers who started collecting guitars and eventually had so many they decided to open a guitar museum. They must have spent millions buying all those guitars. I mean, sure, they started collecting in the 60’s already, and I guess prices back then weren’t as bad as they are now for vintage guitars, but still.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:37 pm
Per wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:53 am A word of warning and/or advice! Guitars are extremely sensitive for cold. I left the yamaha one out in the car for a couple of hours in mid winter, and the neck of the guitar was never the same. You can still play it, but it’s not perfectly straight anymore. Not sure it gets quite as cold where you live, but make sure to keep it warm.
Did you bother taking the Yamaha into a shop? Most guitars have an adjustable rod in the neck for dealing with what you're talking about.

I had mine looked at last summer by a quality luthier, he took one look down the neck and commented "Whoa....ski jump." Fixed it in no time. Cheaper guitars don't all have this feature, however my $300 Gretsch Jim Dandy (a parlor guitar) even has one.

Acoustics are also VERY sensitive to humidity. I actually have some cracking in the surface along the wood grain that showed up 6 months after I bought the guitar and had moved to Grande Prairie for 10 months and wasn't storing it in the humidified case.
Yes, we had someone take a look at it, and they nearly fixed it. There was an adjustable rod, but there’s a limit to what that can do as well. Not quite as straight as it was before, but almost. You can still play on it.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Gibson J-150
Martin D-15 special
Gibson ES-135
Gibson Les Paul (traditional)
Rickenbacker 330
Fender Telecaster (mexi)
Ibanez ATK 300 series (bass)
Some Washburn acoustic I bought 30 years ago and haven’t touched since I got the J-150 in 2000.

My youngest boy has a Yamaha guitar, 3/4 size. Don’t remember the model, but it was like $160 so it’s a starter. I’ve got nylon strings on it for the moment; he’s new to playing and it’s not as rough on the fingers and so he’s not discouraged. Also 3/4 size means less tension, a bitch to keep in tune (due to the tension and the relative cheapness and using the “wrong” strings, but in my view on balance it’s the right call for a young kid as traditional classical guitars have too wide a fret board).

As for amps, Vox AC 30 all the way, I’ve got a fender Princeton collecting dust somewhere in the basement. But these days I almost always play through a Line 6 Pod Go. Only pedal I still use (with the FX loop) is a strymon big sky.

The J-150 and the ES-135 are the only ones I’ve bought new. The great thing about buying used guitars in good condition (or better) is that if you treat them well you can sell them for what you pay for them and sometimes more.
Hono_rary Canadian
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

UWSaint wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:45 pm The great thing about buying used guitars in good condition (or better) is that if you treat them well you can sell them for what you pay for them and sometimes more.
....plus they sound better..
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.