HELP with renovations

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

HELP with renovations

Post by Hockey Widow »

OK, so I just bought a 45 year old condo. It is a total gut job. I feel im getting taken advantage of by contractors. Over 100K for a 575 sq foot condo. There is an asbestos abatement. Anyone help with ideas, recommendations, anything!!!!
The only HW the Canucks need
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: HELP with renovations

Post by rats19 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:52 pm OK, so I just bought a 45 year old condo. It is a total gut job. I feel im getting taken advantage of by contractors. Over 100K for a 575 sq foot condo. There is an asbestos abatement. Anyone help with ideas, recommendations, anything!!!!
Patience wids... the boys will be home soon...
Getting old is not for the young...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I have no idea what that means
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:31 pm I have no idea what that means
Haha... the ones who have knowledge for you are working
Getting old is not for the young...
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:52 pm OK, so I just bought a 45 year old condo. It is a total gut job. I feel im getting taken advantage of by contractors. Over 100K for a 575 sq foot condo. There is an asbestos abatement. Anyone help with ideas, recommendations, anything!!!!
The Chef will undercut the fuck outta that.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It’s what I do, HW.

Is this a full gut? New kitchen? New bathroom? Full gut condos will surprise you, there costs.

Last condo reno I did was a year and a half ago 777 Burrard. The heritage building attached to the back of Roots store at the corner of Burrard and Robson. You don’t want to know how much that one costed but let’s just say kitchen cabinet, millwork entertainment wall and bathroom vanity came in around $60,000. The millwork wall had a zoom bed in it. The funkiest most expensive Murphy bed on the planet, made in Germany - $10,000.

Did you know that 777 Burrard is the tallest wood framed apartment building in Vancouver. Old as dirt, it was a very challenging reno

This could be an opportunity for you to meet the Dude at last, in the flesh. The man, the myth, the legend.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:05 pm It’s what I do, HW.

Is this a full gut? New kitchen? New bathroom? Full gut condos will surprise you, there costs.

Last condo reno I did was a year and a half ago 777 Burrard. The heritage building attached to the back of Roots store at the corner of Burrard and Robson. You don’t want to know how much that one costed but let’s just say kitchen cabinet, millwork entertainment wall and bathroom vanity came in around $60,000. The millwork wall had a zoom bed in it. The funkiest most expensive Murphy bed on the planet, made in Germany - $10,000.

Did you know that 777 Burrard is the tallest wood framed apartment building in Vancouver. Old as dirt, it was a very challenging reno

This could be an opportunity for you to meet the Dude at last, in the flesh. The man, the myth, the legend.
YA its a full gut. 575 sq feet. Nothing special. Nothing custom. Asbestos removal will be required as I want to get rid of popcorn ceiling and there is asbestos also in the mud on the drywall tape.

YA I know 777 Burrard. almost bought in there.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Is that one of these bad boys.

A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:00 pm

Is that one of these bad boys.

Yup. $10,000. German technology. Remote controlled. Frame is like an accordion as the matresss curls and down the wall. Pretty cool
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:26 pm

YA its a full gut. 575 sq feet. Nothing special. Nothing custom. Asbestos removal will be required as I want to get rid of popcorn ceiling and there is asbestos also in the mud on the drywall tape.

You should’ve bought at 777. I think the fixer uppers there are a steal. Great location, however no parking which is why they are cheaper. What floor were you looking at? The unit we renovated was on the 3rd floor
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah if you have asbestos in the popcorn ceiling it will most likely be in the wall taping. Unfortunate. Popcorn ceilings are deemed high risk removal. Are you doing with a permit? Strata may or may bot want it done with a permit, most likely they do.

Check the 777 Burrard unit I renovated at the designers website - www.marrimorinteriors.com go to featured projects, it’s the 2nd one down with the sea foam green cabinets. The existing unit we gutted was original close to 90 years old, a very challenging renovation which was why it costed as much as it did
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:10 pm

You should’ve bought at 777. I think the fixer uppers there are a steal. Great location, however no parking which is why they are cheaper. What floor were you looking at? The unit we renovated was on the 3rd floor
I honestly don't remember but it wasn't overly renovated, not bad but needed some work. The intersection was too noisy for me. I'm at Denman and Comox, a little off the corner on the quiet side, well quiet for WE.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:17 pm

Yeah if you have asbestos in the popcorn ceiling it will most likely be in the wall taping. Unfortunate. Popcorn ceilings are deemed high risk removal. Are you doing with a permit? Strata may or may bot want it done with a permit, most likely they do.

Check the 777 Burrard unit I renovated at the designers website - www.marrimorinteriors.com go to featured projects, it’s the 2nd one down with the sea foam green cabinets. The existing unit we gutted was original close to 90 years old, a very challenging renovation which was why it costed as much as it did
Nice!!

Ya strata wants full permits for everything. They keep an asbestos log book for Work Safe BC.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:25 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:17 pm

Nice!!

Ya strata wants full permits for everything. They keep an asbestos log book for Work Safe BC.
Yeah pretty standard usual with asbestos, I believe with your space size you’re require a minimum of 7 samples by WCB and the city if memory serves

BTW, sub trades tend to charge more on condo renovations as they view as a pain in the butt, it’s one of the many challenges for a general contractor, dealing with the sub trades condo Reno’s.

You have plans in with the city yet? Removing any walls?

There were a myriad of reasons why the 777 Burrard reno was expensive, completely over the top finishes like the walnut herring bone floor costed about $17,000 for a 600 sf space. Marrimor do really good stuff but their selections aren’t for the most budget conscious If you know what I mean.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Removing half a wall in the kitchen. I don't need top of the line finishes or appliances. Simple laminate flooring, simple appliances. I do want a walk in shower, well the bathroom is a total gut but I don't need top line stuff, just new and nice. Anyway, I am asking him for a more detailed scope. He has just given an estimate by room but no real breakdown. For example, bedroom, two screens, new blinds, new closet door and new bedroom door, $5500?? like wtf, for what.