UFO’s and Dinosaurs vs the Bible

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: UFO’s and Dinosaurs vs the Bible

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Couple more of these :)

el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Rumors of the Christian Gnostic demise in Europe is possibly exaggerated...

el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:17 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:24 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:07 am The human race is oddly nostalgic for people of the past. They keep us backwards. I’m quite disgusted that are large portion of society is guided by books written by humans thousands of years ago, let’s move the fuck on ffs. Monuments quite frankly disgust me. Every time I see Mount Rushmore, dynamite and long wick come to mind. We need to stop fucking up nature with shit like that. I prefer monuments that are neither political nor religious.
:eh: :eh: :eh:

Bipolar much there today Chef?
If I had to pick or choose. Like for instance the Bronze statue of Harry Jerome is acceptable. But anything representative of religion of any sort should be destroyed!
:wink:

el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^ Hey Dude, what about THAT!

____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Has anyone pulled Lord Stanley from the park?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I'm taking a middle road on statues.
I do not think they should be destroyed, but I also think common sense should dictate what you display in a public place.

Statues of confederate leaders in the USA are about as logical as statues of Hitler and Eichmann in Germany and Austria. They were prominent leaders of that region in their lifetime, but common decency says they should not be displayed in public places today.

Rather than destroying them though, I think their right place s in a museum. People say we must not forget our history, and I could not agree more. And what better place then to display these statues of the bad guys from the past than in a museum, where you can combine them with other artifacts and memorabilia from the same age, and explain the context of what they stood for and why there is no place for them in modern society?

Iconoclasm has been around for roughly as long as statues and pictures have, but I disagree with destroying art just because you don't agree with it.
Remove them from the public squares - fine. But keep them somewhere where they can still be accessed by those who study history.

A museum full of nazi Blut-und-Boden art or the Soviet counterpart would be fascinating to visit. Especially if combined with a lecture on the ideals that prevailed at that time and what the artists tried to convey with their commissioned art.

Now, most of the confederate statues were made on the cheap in the 1960's as an up-yours directed at the civil rights movement, and to remind black folks that they were not fully equal. Most of them are pretty shoddy craftmansship, but nevertheless, a museum dedicated to antebellum and confederate art could still have a section filled with these latter day statues, and perhaps then also an explanation on why these monuments honouring the treason against the United States were created 100 years after the defeat in an attempt to strengthen the white supremacy movement and the revival of the Ku Klux Klan, and that there was a great hurry to get them up, which lead to the comromises made regarding quality and craftmanship.

I would gladly spend a day at that museum to learn more about the confederacy, Jim Crow and the "separate but equal" concept and its parallells in South African apartheid laws. So rather than just destroying them, let's gather all those statues to a museum dedicated to the Confederacy! That way no one needs to see them in a public square, but anyone interested in civil war or civil rights history can have access to them. Win-win! :thumbs:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:07 am The human race is oddly nostalgic for people of the past. They keep us backwards. I’m quite disgusted that are large portion of society is guided by books written by humans thousands of years ago, let’s move the fuck on ffs. Monuments quite frankly disgust me.
Hey Dude, fair to assume you'd be good with this statue?

https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/petition ... ee-statue/
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Per wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:01 am I'm taking a middle road on statues.
I do not think they should be destroyed, but I also think common sense should dictate what you display in a public place.

Statues of confederate leaders in the USA are about as logical as statues of Hitler and Eichmann in Germany and Austria. They were prominent leaders of that region in their lifetime, but common decency says they should not be displayed in public places today.

Rather than destroying them though, I think their right place s in a museum. People say we must not forget our history, and I could not agree more. And what better place then to display these statues of the bad guys from the past than in a museum, where you can combine them with other artifacts and memorabilia from the same age, and explain the context of what they stood for and why there is no place for them in modern society?

Iconoclasm has been around for roughly as long as statues and pictures have, but I disagree with destroying art just because you don't agree with it.
Remove them from the public squares - fine. But keep them somewhere where they can still be accessed by those who study history.

A museum full of nazi Blut-und-Boden art or the Soviet counterpart would be fascinating to visit. Especially if combined with a lecture on the ideals that prevailed at that time and what the artists tried to convey with their commissioned art.

Now, most of the confederate statues were made on the cheap in the 1960's as an up-yours directed at the civil rights movement, and to remind black folks that they were not fully equal. Most of them are pretty shoddy craftmansship, but nevertheless, a museum dedicated to antebellum and confederate art could still have a section filled with these latter day statues, and perhaps then also an explanation on why these monuments honouring the treason against the United States were created 100 years after the defeat in an attempt to strengthen the white supremacy movement and the revival of the Ku Klux Klan, and that there was a great hurry to get them up, which lead to the comromises made regarding quality and craftmanship.

I would gladly spend a day at that museum to learn more about the confederacy, Jim Crow and the "separate but equal" concept and its parallells in South African apartheid laws. So rather than just destroying them, let's gather all those statues to a museum dedicated to the Confederacy! That way no one needs to see them in a public square, but anyone interested in civil war or civil rights history can have access to them. Win-win! :thumbs:
Hear hear! Very sensible Per, but what do you suggest to do about Stone Mountain?

https://www.stonemountainpark.com/Activ ... ory-Nature
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:34 am
Hear hear! Very sensible Per, but what do you suggest to do about Stone Mountain?

Wow! Never heard of it. Completely insane.

No idea.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeahno, the mob would burn your confederate museum to the ground.

These folk are quite mad, I assure you...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:09 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:34 am

Wow! Never heard of it. Completely insane.

No idea.
Here's an idea, those easily triggered snowflakes can just stay the fuck away from Stone Mountain! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:16 pm Here's an idea, those easily triggered snowflakes can just stay the fuck away from Stone Mountain! :thumbs:
#klanlivesmatter - right, Doc? :oops:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:29 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:16 pm Here's an idea, those easily triggered snowflakes can just stay the fuck away from Stone Mountain! :thumbs:
Right, anyone who disagrees with the radical left is a racist. :roll:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:34 pm
Uhm, no, but the Confederacy certainly was.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:34 pm
So a monument funded by the klan isn't racist? Ok... :D
“Since seeing this wonderful and beautiful picture of Reconstruction in the South, I feel that it is due to the Ku Klux Klan which saved us from Negro domination and carpet-bag rule, that it might be immortalized on Stone Mountain.”
Link
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."