UFO’s and Dinosaurs vs the Bible

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: UFO’s and Dinosaurs vs the Bible

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:40 pm Dude complains about the bible not making sense/contradicting itself

… and then he quotes Charles Fucking Bukowski ! :lol:
And for that, more Bukowski for Doc:

Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

I don't hate people. I just feel better when they aren't around.
An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

The free soul is rare, but you know it when you see it - basically because you feel good, very good, when you are near or with them.

You begin saving the world by saving one man at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics.

Of course it's possible to love a human being if you don't know them too well.

To do a dull thing with style-now that's what I call art.

Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^ Thanks Dude, see how he contracted himself on "love" in those 2 brief quotes!
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:57 pm Bokowski has some good quotes tho.
Sure, but he was as nutty as a teenage HFCanucker!

Which is why he was Section 8ed from the military in WWII.

Read enough of those quotes and you'll see he's all over the map.

Whatever, I don't mean to pick on the poor schweinhund...

I just find it ironic Dude only sees contradictions in things he can't absorb into his religion of Dudism. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If you want to know who your friends are, get yourself a jail sentence.

Charles Bukowski
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

What's next Dude... Confucius? :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:29 pm What's next Dude... Confucius? :mrgreen:
I was raised around similar types to Bukowski, Doc. I guess you could say I have a soft spot for these miserable down and outters. That’s what happens when you’re the son of a DTES Barman whom he too also was the son of a DTES Barman whom he was the son of a Strathcona Bootlegger. The first two died as a result of alcoholism.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:06 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:29 pm What's next Dude... Confucius? :mrgreen:
I was raised around similar types to Bukowski, Doc. I guess you could say I have a soft spot for these miserable down and outters. That’s what happens when you’re the son of a DTES Barman whom he too also was the son of a DTES Barman whom he was the son of a Strathcona Bootlegger. The first two died as a result of alcoholism.
I feel ya Dude, we had similar upbringings, you and I...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Behold Mother Russia's shining new cathedral :)

el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:16 am

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:55 pm
Y'know, I was thinking...

These 3 songs alone probably had a bigger effect in the war against racism than the nasty BLM.

Think Aesop's Fables in general and "The North Wind and the Sun" in particular.

I'm disappointed that black and white Christians in America haven't led the way by coming together in love.

No doubt that is what Jesus would want, but of course Christianity is far too messed up for that.

No wonder folks (wrongly) figure the answer isn't in the Bible, and no wonder yours truly (a Christian) doesn't attend.

I'm talking about one particular way Christianity is messed up here... we all know there are many.

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” - Matthew 22:34-40

The Sadducees and the Pharisees were the religious-leaders/bible-experts of their time and opposed Jesus (aka God) at every turn.

I guess some things never change. :(

Jesus said:
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to. Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are. - Matthew 23:13-15
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I can smell what you're cookin' Strange :) Well, apart from the "nasty-BLM" comment. But let's not paint everyone associated with BLM with one brush, eh?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/jesus-statue ... d-protests

Wouldn't you know it, after posting the above, this comes out.

Well okay then.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:01 pm https://www.foxnews.com/us/jesus-statue ... d-protests

Well okay then.
Pop-up video playing with Mike Huckabee calling Shaun King's statement absurd.....

He goes on for 4 or 5 minutes but doesn't really speak to the point of what King is saying though. He has one brief sentence dismissing the "white Jesus" comment because Jesus was middle-eastern. It's curious why he doesn't elaborate and point out that Christian art largely depicts Jesus and his followers as being European, which is inaccurate.

As for statues and "houses of worship".....if they want to rip them down, well the only reason I would say not to is because erasing history is a really stupid thing to do. The physical totems and structures are of zero spiritual value, and frankly, what the good Doctor pointed out a couple posts prior, they are a departure from what Christianity actually was (is supposed to be). There was actually a reason why in the old testament the Jews were commanded not to make idols or representations of God.....and why when they did things went badly for them.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:01 pm https://www.foxnews.com/us/jesus-statue ... d-protests

Well okay then.
Statues of Jeebus? I don't think I've ever seen a statue of him outside a church. You know, graven image and all that.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

lol this poor guy
Iraqi Christian Foundation
@iraqschristians
·
5h
God bless Father Stephen Schumacher for standing up to ANTIFA terrorists in the U.S. city of St. Louis, and for defending our Christian faith. Folded hands

https://twitter.com/iraqschristians/sta ... 90432?s=20[/quote]
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

5thhorseman wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 pm

Well okay then.
Statues of Jeebus? I don't think I've ever seen a statue of him outside a church. You know, graven image and all that.
Not all Christian sects are iconoclasts though. That's really only most Protestant sects and the Nestorians to my knowledge.

You could definitely include the Paulicians but they seem to have been erased by an Armenian Church inquisition in the latter 19th century. Which is a damned shame because they were the last of the Gnostic Christians.
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 pm

Well okay then.
Rio de Janeiro?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.