We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 5thhorseman »

Per wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:02 am So, Israel is issuing a vaccination passport for it's citizens. Those who have had both shots (or have had confirmed covid and recovered from it) will be able to attend movies, theatres, restaurants, gyms, sporting events, mosques, synagogues, hotels, etc, while those who have not will still be barred from that type of events and facilities.

Some criticize it as discrimination, but I think it kinda makes sense. Not for forever, but until herd immunity is reached, at least.

We also know that several countries will demand proof of vaccination for foreigners entering the country as vacation spots open up this summer, so this is just more of following the same logic.

I think Australia has a policy of banning children who have not followed the national vaccination programme from public schools in general, and just offer up a few separate facilities for anti-vaxxer kids.

Thoughts?

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/uk-eyes- ... ays-884777
Lots of overhead to administer and potential for fraud. I much prefer your vaccine dart idea :)
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:23 am
Per wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:02 am So, Israel is issuing a vaccination passport for it's citizens. Those who have had both shots (or have had confirmed covid and recovered from it) will be able to attend movies, theatres, restaurants, gyms, sporting events, mosques, synagogues, hotels, etc, while those who have not will still be barred from that type of events and facilities.

Some criticize it as discrimination, but I think it kinda makes sense. Not for forever, but until herd immunity is reached, at least.

We also know that several countries will demand proof of vaccination for foreigners entering the country as vacation spots open up this summer, so this is just more of following the same logic.

I think Australia has a policy of banning children who have not followed the national vaccination programme from public schools in general, and just offer up a few separate facilities for anti-vaxxer kids.

Thoughts?

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/uk-eyes- ... ays-884777
Lots of overhead to administer and potential for fraud. I much prefer your vaccine dart idea :)
Well, for a disorganised country like the USA that doesn't even have complete nationwide birth and death registers, or universal healthcare, and where you actually have to register even for a basic thing like voting - sure.

But for civilised and well organised countries like Canada and Sweden, I think the Israeli example would not be that hard to follow. I mean, the Israelis are already doing this. 85% of the adult population has already received at least one shot, and they have started distributing the passports.

In the case of Sweden, we'll probably wait and see if there is an EU-wide programme to follow though. Many of the Mediterranean countries, that get a huge part of their GDP from tourism, are demanding some sort of union-wide system to allow travel for those who have been vaccinated while keeping travel restricctions in place for those who have not, and if such a system does come into effect, it could easily be used to gradually open up hockey arenas, movie theatres, etc as well. The sooner we can start easing up on restrictions, the more bankruptcies (and mental health issues) we can avoid! And removing restrictions for those who have immunity, either through having had covid or having been inocculated, would be a good start. :thumbs:

I mean, just as an example, the Euro 2020 is meant to be held this summer, one year late, and imagine not having to play in empty arenas but with jubilant fans in the stands! Rather than just letting just anyone in, opening up for those who have gotten their shots is a smarter option.

The goal should of course be to eventually remove all restrictions, but for an interrim period, until we have reached herd immunity, this could be a start that could be a life saver for the restaurants, hotels, sports teams and the entertainment industry, while not leading to yet another surge in covid cases.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Why not tattoos of the covid passport # on the wrist?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:10 am Why not tattoos of the covid passport # on the wrist?
:lol:

And a big gold star on the lapel for those who arent clean
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The 2 greatest video rants ever posted on the internet:

The world needs more Jonathan Pie and The Kid for Brooklyn
If you need air...call it in
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:10 am Why not tattoos of the covid passport # on the wrist?
Great idea! One less thing to carry in the wallet. No need for a unique ID though, just 666 will do.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Nah, tattoos are as obsolete as fossil fuel cars. Microchip implants is the way to go! :thumbs:

Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:20 am
Great idea! One less thing to carry in the wallet. No need for a unique ID though, just 666 will do.
Beat me to it.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

While most people are busy counting chickens, it turns out that the eggs are still not fully hatched...

A new surge in Brazil has infection rates and daily deaths roughly 80% higher than at the previous peak...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/brazi ... 1616543072

... and while the original strain mostly killed the elderly, in this wave large part of those who die are 59 or younger. :o

According to this article half of those hospitalised with covid in Brazil are under 60 and 27% of those who die are between 20 and 59.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-03- ... young.html

So even though vaccination is in full progress, it is still too early to plan the parade. :|

Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

This is gold. People really need to wake up and see how right this guy is. Regardless of what you believe (or don't), the freedom and right to gather and worship is everyone's freedom. You can see as the cops are walking away that the accusations of being Nazi's, fascists, Gestapo, evil, was registering with them. Even a couple of the public health officers walked away like whipped puppies because they know deep down that what they are doing is ushering in an Orwellian totalitarian state of living.

I wouldn't get overly worked up about moderate lockdown measures during a pandemic if those measures were consistently applied across the board and made scientific sense. However when there is gross inconsistency, and governments talking about health passports and tracking apps that will have the ability to look into a whole bunch of your information.....yeah......no......sorry.....this is not about a pandemic and a virus anymore, this is now about control and big brother watching.

It's a shame how absolutely blind the general population is to this.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

It's not that we're blind, it's that we're not predisposed to believing conspiracy bullshit.

If the lockdown never ends, I'll reconsider.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:41 pm It's not that we're blind, it's that we're not predisposed to believing conspiracy bullshit.
Well I don't believe the conspiracy bullshit... but DAMN that was good! :D

I admire a man for standing up for what he believes.

And damn straight the authorities can either do things the right way or fuck right off.

Hey, for all we know, maybe Mëds and the others like him have discovered a new kind of Woke.

BTW haven't your comrades burned $2B worth of buildings in protest against the authorities down south as you cheered them on?

You sure as shit believe in a conspiracy against the Black man no?

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:41 pm If the lockdown never ends, I'll reconsider.
UMMMM. So after it never ends you'll reconsider. :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Mëds wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:41 pm This is gold. People really need to wake up and see how right this guy is. Regardless of what you believe (or don't), the freedom and right to gather and worship is everyone's freedom. You can see as the cops are walking away that the accusations of being Nazi's, fascists, Gestapo, evil, was registering with them. Even a couple of the public health officers walked away like whipped puppies because they know deep down that what they are doing is ushering in an Orwellian totalitarian state of living.

I wouldn't get overly worked up about moderate lockdown measures during a pandemic if those measures were consistently applied across the board and made scientific sense. However when there is gross inconsistency, and governments talking about health passports and tracking apps that will have the ability to look into a whole bunch of your information.....yeah......no......sorry.....this is not about a pandemic and a virus anymore, this is now about control and big brother watching.

It's a shame how absolutely blind the general population is to this.

This guy is a Calgary street preacher - and a complete asshole. I always saw him spouting off his bullshit on the street when I worked in downtown Calgary. I hope they deport the fucker. But, on this point, he's right.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

That Milf that owns Corduroy in Kits just got shut down for two weeks.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”