We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So when do they shut transit down or scale it way the fuck back? BC Ferries?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

More importantly will they be shutting down the BC Liquor Stores?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Driving around Vancouver today was like Vancouver 1983, until I tried getting to Standard Building on Still Creek Road, a few blocks from the idiot mob trying to get in the Costco parking lot
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Can anyone tell me why we have shut our boarders to everyone but Americans? Over half of our new cases are coming from Americans? Is this Trump appeasement? Trump hinting he may close Northern boarder so are we just letting him do it first?

Ive had enough. Wake me up when it's over. Day 5of quarantine. By the time my 14 days are up the world will be over.

But there is great news in all of this. Air and water quality is improving all over the world.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:26 pm Driving around Vancouver today was like Vancouver 1983, until I tried getting to Standard Building on Still Creek Road, a few blocks from the idiot mob trying to get in the Costco parking lot
I guess you can get hummers cheaper these days eh Boss? Did you spend most of the morning at Oppenheimer Park?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:51 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:26 pm Driving around Vancouver today was like Vancouver 1983, until I tried getting to Standard Building on Still Creek Road, a few blocks from the idiot mob trying to get in the Costco parking lot
I guess you can get hummers cheaper these days eh Boss? Did you spend most of the morning at Oppenheimer Park?

Doyle, ole Victor there...well, he hates you real good. Real good
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

This is heartwarming:
Canada announces it will exclusively import COVID-19 from US

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/03/ca ... 9-from-us/

OTTAWA – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced today that all forms of coronavirus coming from outside from the country must come from American citizens.

“Today, we are announcing that any person infected with COVID-19 not exhibiting symptoms must be a Canadian, a permanent resident of Canada, or a citizen of the United States,” said Trudeau in a press conference held outside his house. “Trading with the United States, whether it’s steel, lumber, or deadly diseases, is critical to Canada. We need to maintain this important free-trade relationship.”

With the rising levels of cases and evidence of community-acquired infections, the government of Canada is protecting its citizens by relying on its neighbour whose President appears to be living in a different universe.

“The borders are closed to everyone, unless they’re citizens of a country with no functioning healthcare system for anyone who isn’t a millionaire,” said Trudeau.

Canada and the US are still working on whether a fever will be defined as either 38 C or 101.5 F.
el rey del mambo
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Lol. That made my day
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

rats19 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:03 pm https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETQdF8YXgAE ... name=large

Here is a theory not sure where it originated but saw it on Twitter
”Welcome to the Geat Awakening” - is this a Beowulf reference? :eh:

Last edited by Per on Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Sweden is now recommending that all high schools, colleges and universities switch to on-line teaching. These students do not require parental supervision, so it should have no negative effect on people's ability to show up at work.
All cinemas are also shut down now. Previously it was just events with more than 500 participants.

Meanwhile people in Stockholm are advised to work from home, if they can.

Normally we only get paid sick leave from day two, and only for a week unless you see a doctor who writes a medical cerificate confirming illness.
Now we get paid from day one, and only need to see a doctor after two weeks.

The govt has also announced a number of measures to protect businesses.
First of all, they will be responsible for paying for the sick leave, rather than the employer.
Also, they allow companies a full year's reprieve of certain taxes. This includes VAT, employer fees and the source taxing of salaries.
Thirdly, if they send employees home with pay rather than terminmating their employment, the govt will pay half the salary of those workers.

Hopefully these measures will help prevent bankrupcies and major layoffs.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Back to the Geats of Beowulf. Amazingly, no one knows for sure who they were.

Traditionally most have argued that they were the Götar of the Swedish west and south. Their name is remembered in names like Göteborg (Gothenburg), Västergötland, Östergötland, Götene and Götaland.

Vowel changes in Sweden and among Anglo-Saxons have produced the word pairs bröd/bread, söm/seam, sjö/sea, so götar/geats makes total sense.

Others have argued that since most of it takes part in Denmark, it could be the Jutes, the people of Jutland, which today is an incorporated part of Denmark.

Yet the geography of the story makes little sense. For instance, Svear (from the Swedish east coast) and "Geats" were constantly at war, and would cross the sea to attack eachother. But Svear and Götar had a land border... Why take a boat anc circumnavigate half of Sweden to attack the other party? Makes little or no sense.

Likewise, if the Geats inhabited Jutland, they would not have to sail for days to reach the Danes, and they would also be approaching from the wrong direction.

But now an archeologist has jumped into the fray and claims all the evidence points to Gotland! An island just off the Swedish east coast. We know the Gutar (or Gutes) who live their had several wars with the Svear back in the 5th and 6th century, and they are conveniently located across the water at a close distance from eachother, while a journey from Gotland to Denmark would take roughly the time described in Beowulf.

It all makes sense. Also, we get an interesting and plausible explanation to why the poem frequently calls the Geats "Weather-Geats", which no one ever has made much sense of. The island of Gotland has a ram as it's symbol, and a ram can also be referred to as a wether in English. Like in bellwether. So they are the Geats of the Ram, the Ram-Geats.

Keep in mind that Beowulf was written down in Britain, by Anglo-Saxons, several hundred years after the events of the story, and people probably had problems differentiating between Geats, Gutes and Jutes, and so over time they started saying Geats about the Gutes as well, but to avoid confusion, pointed out that they were Wether-Geats, not the ones from the Gothenburg area, but the other ones. The ram ones. :thumbs:

https://www.medieval.eu/beowulf-dated-to-ad-550/
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Banks and credit card companies should waive all interest on all loans until May 1st as a way to spread the economic risk around.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:54 am Banks and credit card companies should waive all interest on all loans until May 1st as a way to spread the economic risk around.
Or maybe just give people the option to skip a payment penalty free and add it to the end of the loan.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:03 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:54 am Banks and credit card companies should waive all interest on all loans until May 1st as a way to spread the economic risk around.
Or maybe just give people the option to skip a payment penalty free and add it to the end of the loan.
Something will be forthcoming. 70-80 % of people are paycheque to paycheque
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:14 am
Cornuck wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:03 am
Something will be forthcoming. 70-80 % of people are paycheque to paycheque
You have more faith in the government than I do, but I hope you're right.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."