We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Strangelove »

:D
donlever wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:09 pm Hello Moto, Hello Reefah
Here we are at
The Canucks Cornah

The Mick of late, is behaving
Oh how will Strangelove soothe his desired crush 'em cravings
Take me home, oh Moto, Reefah
Take me home, I hate the Cornah
Don't leave me out in the forum where
I might get eaten by a bear
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6191749

"Private proof-of-vaccination app Portpass exposed personal information, including the driver's licences, of what could be as many as hundreds of thousands of users by leaving its website unsecured."

YEEEEUP, yup, yup, yup, yup, yup, yup, yup,...
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

lol - whoops - indeed eh - so shocking that could possibly occur...

It'll be cool man...don't worry...everyone says so...get yourself a passport and it will ALLLLLL just go away.....

Last call for alcohol
Last call for your freedom of speech
Drink up, happy hour is now enforced by law
Don't forget our house special
It's called a Trickie Dickie Screwdriver
It's got one part Jack Daniels
Two parts purple Kool-Aid and a jigger of formaldehyde
From the jar with Hitler's brain in it we got in the back storeroom

Welcome to 1984 20-21
Are you ready for the some Third World War Fun?!?
You too will meet the secret police
They'll draft you and they'll jail your niece
You'll go quietly to boot camp
They'll shoot you dead, make you a man
Don't you worry, it's for a cause
Feeding global corporations' claws
DeLevering since 1999.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

The article wasn't entirely clear, but as I understand it, the Alberta government only provides a PDF which you can print and maybe laminate, carrying it with you along with your id.

Portpass is a private proof-of-vaccination, not endorsed by the government, which people choose to use so that they can have the convenience of a smartphone to hold their vax passport.

So this is not vaccine passport-specific and is no different than you or I giving our private information to a private company, e.g. giving your DOB when you visit your physio or apply for a store card.

Everyone needs to do their due diligence and choose carefully when giving out personal information. Your choice, your risk.

Unless I've missed a fact somewhere along the way.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

I just gave the Oct 3 Canucks pre-season game to an acquaintance who wanted to take his son to the rink for his 8th birthday.

Frankie is to cheap all of a sudden to give me the old school ticket books for my 20K (we used to get a primo, slick package for the Club program) so I have to e-transfer them which is far less personal when giving them to clients or as gifts but whatevs.

So I did so.

He can't just accept them though.

To do so you have to sign up for your very own individual Ticketmaster account and provide personal info including e-mail addys and phone numbers.

Then they want you to upload them into an Apple Wallet or Google Pay platform "just in case" the Wifi at the arena is down or not working because "they'd hate" for you to not be able to get in.

I wonder how long until Trudeaus billion dollars ties the vaxx app into this as well.

Getting pretty intrusive folks....
DeLevering since 1999.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I resisted smartphones for a long time. Everybody at work joked about my burner lol.

It's bad enough that you need a smartphone for everything nowadays.

People wouldn't know what do do these days if their car broke down on the side of the Coq and their cellphone was dead.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:13 pm I resisted smartphones for a long time. Everybody at work joked about my burner lol.

People wouldn't know what do do these days if their car broke down on the side of the Coq and their cellphone was dead.
Well some cars already can talk to Houston so your car may call for you, or you wait until another car comes and use their cell.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...regardless, human beings are to attached to their Mobile communication units.

We become an increasingly Nomophobic society daily.

Conceptually it is frightening.

In a reality based platform it is terrifying.
DeLevering since 1999.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

donlever wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:12 am ...regardless, human beings are to attached to their Mobile communication units.

We become an increasingly Nomophobic society daily.

Conceptually it is frightening.

In a reality based platform it is terrifying.
No kidding! Can you imagine how different those good ole fashioned house parties we use to have in the days of lore would be like in today's world?

Playing beer caps using your smartphone to advise you on the right arc on the toss.

Asking a sweety for a date by cell phone and she's across the room on the another couch.

At least there'd be no fisticuffs. Maybe the odd dirty look whilst texting.
"evolution"
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Micky wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:54 am Asking a sweety for a date by cell phone and she's across the room on the another couch.
..used to be a Club in New West, Chicago Tonight I think it was nicked, had phones on the table(s) for just that purpose.
DeLevering since 1999.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:13 pm I resisted smartphones for a long time. Everybody at work joked about my burner lol.

The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB) Is very concerned about the digitalisation of society. Hardly anyone uses cash these days; you either use a card or your phone to pay. Some shops and restaurants don’t even accept cash.

The agency is concerned, because if someone blocks the internet it will make all transactions impossible,leading to a complete shutdown of society. We already had a taste of it when a Russian hacker attack against an American payment service meant one of the main chains of supermarkets in Sweden had to close their stores for almost a week as they could not operate their cash registers. So, anyway, they’d prefer a more low tech society with cash payments and mechanical cash registers, as it is much harder for a foreign power (ie the Russians) to hack that.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Per wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:57 am The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB) Is very concerned about the digitalisation of society. Hardly anyone uses cash these days; you either use a card or your phone to pay. Some shops and restaurants don’t even accept cash.
To your point..received just yesterday...

Member # XXXXXXX

Hi lever,

Your pre-season tickets are now available online in your account!

You can access your pre-season tickets online through the Canucks Mobile App, your mobile browser, and/or your desktop browser.

Your regular season tickets will be enabled online at a later date, once we have clarity on any potential adjustments to the Provincial Health Order ahead of our home opener on October 26.

....blah blah blah...yada yada..ad nauseum (I love the underlined btw - this should be good)....

ARENA PROTOCOLS

CASHLESS PAYMENT

We are attempting to reduce points of contact, including the handling of cash, as an additional measure to help protect the health and safety for all.

As a result, hospitality concession and retail stands at Rogers Arena will begin exclusively accepting contactless forms of payment. Cash will no longer be accepted.

For the latest updates to enter Rogers Arena for the 2021.22 season, please visit the Arena Protocols page on the Season Ticket Member Portal.

Sincerely,

Your Vancouver Canucks
WE ARE ALL CANUCKS (---well, save for you who are un-vaxxed that is-- lever journalistic licence here)
Per wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:57 am The agency is concerned, because if someone blocks the internet it will make all transactions impossible,leading to a complete shutdown of society. We already had a taste of it when a Russian hacker attack against an American payment service meant one of the main chains of supermarkets in Sweden had to close their stores for almost a week as they could not operate their cash registers. So, anyway, they’d prefer a more low tech society with cash payments and mechanical cash registers, as it is much harder for a foreign power (ie the Russians) to hack that.
Yep, been talking about this for years with the boyz...see it on occasion at grocery stores (et cetera) locally where the system shuts down (for whatever non-shyster dude reason) and no one can buy anything.

The second we are fully digitalized and 100% tech reliant some criminal element will leap and there is sweet fuck all the "cyber police" will be able to do about it.

But yeah, its all good..

Jesus - that feels like a Strangelove post....
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:51 am Jesus - that feels like a Strangelove post....
Can any man afford such arrogance Grasshopper?
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Grasshopper lol.

You and I can.

Topper as well.

The rest of 'em.

Unlikely....
DeLevering since 1999.