We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Topper »

In rural BC, of one is sick and wants to see their family doctor, an appointment is two to three weeks away, do we go to the emergency, doctor there schedule the follow-up visits at the emergency.

My son's surgeon at BC Children's asked me about rural care. I told him the above. He sketched on his notepad a spoke and hub model where the doctors have their offices at the end of doors around the hub hospital. Go to your doctor, get treated or referred into the hospital for more urgent and serious care.

When wife went into labour, I took her to the local hospital that does not do deliveries, they assessed her, put her in an ambulance for an hour and a half drive to the regional hospital. I drove my truck, waited 1/2 hours for the ambulance to arrive. Wife said they had to stop for gas. Yes it was a shitty drive over a snowy mountain pass.

Kid got run over skiing, taken off the mountain in a toboggan by ski patrol. They assessed a shoulder injury but no idea any further. I wanted to drive him to the hospital, they called an ambulance for transport. $80.

Brother dying of cancer at home can't endure the pain of taking to Victoria for chemo. Needs to go to the local hospital for palliative care. Asked me to drive him but I can't lift him into a low small car and call an ambulance. He's pissed that is $80 for five blocks. I tell him not to worry, it comes out of the estate.

The system is fucked.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:28 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:09 pm Our taxes are not enough to pay for all the services we are getting, so any opportunity to reduce cost will be taken.
Governments need to get out of the business of providing services and limit themselves to setting regulatory frameworks and then policing those frameworks as private enterprise gets things done.
You mean like the USA? The country that spends the most per capita on healthcare yet has the lowest life expectancy of all OECD countries. Now THAT is fucked.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:32 pm Kid got run over skiing, taken off the mountain in a toboggan by ski patrol. They assessed a shoulder injury but no idea any further. I wanted to drive him to the hospital, they called an ambulance for transport. $80.
I would have called the police if the ski patrol wouldn't let you take your own kid, especially if he's conscious and alert and not asking for the ambo himself.

Alternatively I would have told BCEHS that I was going to drive my own kid and that I, as legal guardian, were refusing their services. If they made any sort of fuss I would simply ask them if they were Advanced Care level paramedics (which they almost certainly were not) and what they were going to do for my child beyond laughing gas? In that event ski patrol gets the bill or no one.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

donlever wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:20 pm Good post once again Mëds.

Eye opening.

I'm all for reading more of your experiences should you choose to regale us.

I'd say the system is a failed, flawed, corrupt joke but that would reek of a cynical nature.....
I'd be happy to share more, and probably will, I just have to be discretionary for obvious reasons.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:32 pm In rural BC, of one is sick and wants to see their family doctor, an appointment is two to three weeks away, do we go to the emergency, doctor there schedule the follow-up visits at the emergency.

My son's surgeon at BC Children's asked me about rural care. I told him the above. He sketched on his notepad a spoke and hub model where the doctors have their offices at the end of doors around the hub hospital. Go to your doctor, get treated or referred into the hospital for more urgent and serious care.

When wife went into labour, I took her to the local hospital that does not do deliveries, they assessed her, put her in an ambulance for an hour and a half drive to the regional hospital. I drove my truck, waited 1/2 hours for the ambulance to arrive. Wife said they had to stop for gas. Yes it was a shitty drive over a snowy mountain pass.

Kid got run over skiing, taken off the mountain in a toboggan by ski patrol. They assessed a shoulder injury but no idea any further. I wanted to drive him to the hospital, they called an ambulance for transport. $80.

Brother dying of cancer at home can't endure the pain of taking to Victoria for chemo. Needs to go to the local hospital for palliative care. Asked me to drive him but I can't lift him into a low small car and call an ambulance. He's pissed that is $80 for five blocks. I tell him not to worry, it comes out of the estate.

The system is fucked.
You have to pay for ambulance?! Wtf?! I thought Canada was civilised. :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

We just prefer to not have raftloads of economic benefit seekers traveling unnecessarily long distances through seemingly suitable countries just to score more free shit from our flawed liberal charity government

"The marrow state"
If you need air...call it in
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...we are.

We just have Governments that have no idea how to manage finances.

You should have seen the fucking gong show in this City during this week's (relatively speaking) minor snowfall.

The City shut down....we knew this was coming for 10 days...streets weren't salted or sanded....plows weren't out.

People were stranded on streets, highways and bridges for 8, 9 10 hours because traffic was not moving.

A couple of my workers slept in their cars on the side of the road.

Are vehicles without chains or snow tires partially to blame?

Sure.

But....

Our Municipal, Provincial and Federal politicians are clueless.

And broke.

So we keep paying more and more out of our own personal asses ....

Sorry if that sounds cynical.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

You can't salt and sand wet roads in advance of a snowfall when the temp is only going down to -2 to -3. When it's just below freezing is far more difficult to navigate through than when its actually cold. The cold removes alot of the moisture and the ice becomes brittle
If you need air...call it in
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Is that right?

No idea.

They salted my 'hood....zero issues.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:15 am ...we are.

We just have Governments that have no idea how to manage finances.

You should have seen the fucking gong show in this City during this week's (relatively speaking) minor snowfall.

The City shut down....we knew this was coming for 10 days...streets weren't salted or sanded....plows weren't out.

People were stranded on streets, highways and bridges for 8, 9 10 hours because traffic was not moving.

A couple of my workers slept in their cars on the side of the road.

Are vehicles without chains or snow tires partially to blame?

Sure.

But....

Our Municipal, Provincial and Federal politicians are clueless.

And broke.

So we keep paying more and more out of our own personal asses ....

Sorry if that sounds cynical.
LOL, do you want the government to change your diaper too?

A truck and a bus spin out on a bridge in a couple of centimetres of wet snow and the city screams to a halt. That isn't a civic responsibility, that is personal responsibility. Get some decent tires or stay home.

My street has 6 houses on it in a rural area, I see a plow/sand truck maybe a week after it snows. We've had similar snow falls this week as Vancouver had this past week. No plow here, no sand truck here. There is roughly 1/2" of ice on our main plowed roads. I have a couple of inches of compacted snow where my neighbours drive, 6" of snow outside that. We are not immobilized.

My suggestion to Vancouverites when there is impending wet weather. Strap a snow shovel to the hood of your Subaru and head south until someone asks, "what's that?"

donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

My diaper?

Blow me Topper.

You disrespectful cunt.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:19 am You can't salt and sand wet roads in advance of a snowfall when the temp is only going down to -2 to -3. When it's just below freezing is far more difficult to navigate through than when its actually cold. The cold removes alot of the moisture and the ice becomes brittle
Salt (brine) will lower the freezing temp and is useful until it bets too cold to be effective. Sand only works once there is a layer of ice/compact snow.

There are also priorities for the work. Emergency routes > main transport corridors > bus routes. One of the key issues in the lower mainland are the bridges connecting 2 municipal jurisdictions. For some odd reason, these fall through the cracks of service when they should be a priority.

None of that relieves the individual from being prepared for winter driving conditions.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:21 am My diaper?

Blow me Topper.

You disrespectful cunt.
I was going to suggest the government plow/sand trucks have a nurse on board to ensure vaccines are current.

Honoured to to not be a disrespectful gash.

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Another drawback of salt is that it lures all the reindeer onto the road, where they stand around licking it, bringing traffic to a halt.
Yeah, I grew up way north. :roll:

Anyway. To get a Swedish driver’s license you have to practice driving on ice. You practice turning at speed and braking on slippery ice with old summer tires, good summer tires and studded winter tires. Since people get their licences all year round there are a number of facilities with artificial ice where you can do this in the summer. I approve of this. People who do not know how to drive on ice don’t belong on the road. Our winters are long.

But having grown up in northern Sweden and driving a SUV with 4WD and studded tires, I don’t worry about ice or snow.
I just worry about who else is out there on the road. Like Polish truck drivers with summer tires… :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

There has been a move to MgCl instead of NaCl brine and experiments with beet syrup. MgCl is less harmful to roadside plant growth and beet syrup is cheap.

BTW, the brine mixtures are so concentrated they have a syrupy consistency. Not unusual for it to be added to the sand they spread on roads.