We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by SKYO »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:40 pm Best we move the COVID-19 discussion out of the hockey forum and move it to quarantine here at Creep's place.
Well, couple years later, those who want the vaccines got it, those who don't, don't got it.

No need to coddle those who don't want it, due to religious reasons, stubbornness, whatever, the entire world had a whole two fucking years for the free vaccine, free masks etc. It's apparent to those who don't want it, that's their prerogative. Now the world heals and we move on.

Now there is a 4th vaccine, starting with the 70+ year old folks.

I ain't getting another one, until it's for omicron.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

SKYO wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:46 am
Cornuck wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:40 pm Best we move the COVID-19 discussion out of the hockey forum and move it to quarantine here at Creep's place.
Well, couple years later, those who want the vaccines got it, those who don't, don't got it.

No need to coddle those who don't want it, due to religious reasons, stubbornness, whatever, the entire world had a whole two fucking years for the free vaccine, free masks etc. It's apparent to those who don't want it, that's their prerogative. Now the world heals and we move on.

Now there is a 4th vaccine, starting with the 70+ year old folks.

I ain't getting another one, until it's for omicron.
I'm getting every shot I can. Covid nearly killed me.
If I can improve my chances of survival, I will.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Per wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:33 am
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:57 pm
donlever wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:34 am :lol:

I would imagine many Kenyans also display a fine clavicle set.

I would also imagine some could place you in a headlock during sex.
Yeah I guess the long distance runners are emaciated enough to show clavicle but that's a rare case of it not being appealing.

Not sure where the headlocks come in, though most Kenyans are becoming obese due to the heavy servings of starch in their diet. That puts them right in Cuz's wheelhouse though.
Probably not the Maasai though? I mean, they always look very lean in all pictures, and their traditional food consists mainly of raw meat, blood and milk. Supposedly the tallest people* on Earth with average height for men being 6'3''. Probably contributed to the gene pool of many NBA players....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maasai_people

*based on nationality, the Dutch are the tallest people, but the Maasai are a subgroup of people living in Kenya and Tanzania. And the Maasai are on average taller than the Dutch. And unlike some 90% of the global population, they are lactose tolerant, just like people from Northern Europe. So I guess milk makes you tall.
Most black NBA players trace their origins to West Africa. I read somewhere once that West Africans are genetically more similar to the Spanish than to East Africans.

As for the Maasai, I have yet to see a good looking one. It's usually the missing teeth. Must be all that lactose :lol:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:15 am Most black NBA players trace their origins to West Africa. I read somewhere once that West Africans are genetically more similar to the Spanish than to East Africans.

As for the Maasai, I have yet to see a good looking one. It's usually the missing teeth. Must be all that lactose :lol:
True. The black slave trade mainly afflicted West Africa. And the Maasai were fierce warriors, so slave traders probably preferred other options.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

My buddy who married a black chick from Africa said that the lighter skinned Africans hate the ones with the darkest skin.
If you need air...call it in
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Lighter skin is associated with wealth. If you're dark then you're probably doing menial labour under the sun. This thinking is not just in Africa. China, Japan, India all have similar biases.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Per wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:42 am And the Maasai were fierce warriors, so slave traders probably preferred other options.
On our first safari our camp was surrounded by brambles and guarded by Maasai with spears. Back then Maasai warriors were still killing lions as a rite of initiation. It was cool at the time but now we pay extra for a more upscale hotel and security.

About the initiation, it's actually 15 to 20 Maasai going after the lion, but a Maasai told us that the one being initiated has to strike the first blow.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:35 am Lighter skin is associated with wealth. If you're dark then you're probably doing menial labour under the sun. This thinking is not just in Africa. China, Japan, India all have similar biases.
Was reading about this and the Indian culture and how darker skin was considered bad. I knew about if for Japanese as my wife goes to the extreme not to get a lot of sun. It could be one reason why they look so young for so long.

Also was reading that lighting (is this how you spell it) is a billion dollar business. But in other parts of the world making your skin look dark is also a huge business.

Why can’t we all just love ourselves 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:30 am My buddy who married a black chick from Africa said that the lighter skinned Africans hate the ones with the darkest skin.
Same in Jamaica. A social pecking order based on skin colour. Clear (light brown) > Brown/Red > Dark Brown > Black > Yellow (albino)

I remember a Jamaican guy the company sent from the US to work with us, clear skin and blue tinted contacts. Locals, even his relatives, just laughed at the uppity nigger.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:35 am Lighter skin is associated with wealth. If you're dark then you're probably doing menial labour under the sun. This thinking is not just in Africa. China, Japan, India all have similar biases.
It used to be the same in Europe and North America as well, but at some point in the 20th century it swung around as tan skin started to become an indicator of affording to vacation in the sun, whereas those that spent the whole day toiling away inside a factory stayed pale. So suddenly the social status of tan skin was turned on its head.

Tan skin started to become trendy in the 19th century already within the physical culture movement that originated in Germany but soon spread to the US and UK. This movement promoted physical education, gymnastiques, swimming, hiking and naturalism. But the idea that tanning made you attractive only slowly went mainstream. It gradually became more accepted in the roaring 20’s but didn’t really become the norm till after WW2. Probably peaked in the 70’s and 80’s. Now people worry more about skin cancer, so tanning has become less popular again. It’s still not really seen as a bad thing to have a tan yet, but It’s not as desirable as it was in the 80’s.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:51 pm
It used to be the same in Europe and North America as well, but at some point in the 20th century it swung around as tan skin started to become an indicator of affording to vacation in the sun, whereas those that spent the whole day toiling away inside a factory stayed pale. So suddenly the social status of tan skin was turned on its head.

Tan skin started to become trendy in the 19th century already within the physical culture movement that originated in Germany but soon spread to the US and UK. This movement promoted physical education, gymnastiques, swimming, hiking and naturalism. But the idea that tanning made you attractive only slowly went mainstream. It gradually became more accepted in the roaring 20’s but didn’t really become the norm till after WW2. Probably peaked in the 70’s and 80’s. Now people worry more about skin cancer, so tanning has become less popular again. It’s still not really seen as a bad thing to have a tan yet, but It’s not as desirable as it was in the 80’s.

:lol:

Per the Swedish Cliff Clavin

If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:58 pm Per the Swedish Cliff Clavin

Well… I did get a mustache for Movember, but I shaved it off on Dec 1st.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The greatest trick covid ever pulled was convincing the world it did not exist. And like that.....*poof* ......it's gone.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

SKYO wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:06 am The greatest trick covid ever pulled was convincing the world it did not exist. And like that.....*poof* ......it's gone.
There are more active covid cases now than at any time prior to xmas of 2021, and still 3-4000 covid deaths every day.
But at the peak there were more than 16,000 covid deaths per day, with half as many sick as today, so clearly omicron is not as lethal as the earlier strains. It is gradually moving into influenza territory, but it is still out there. And, yeah, if most people hadn't been vaccinated by now, the death toll would probably still be way higher.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:06 am The greatest trick covid ever pulled was convincing the world it did not exist. And like that.....*poof* ......it's gone.
Except it’s not gone, it’s being managed because of the actions taken over the past 2 years.