We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Mickey107 »

Schools opening again (at less then capacity) is one thing. It will be well supervised. I hope. I think it will. I'd still prefer virtual but oh well.
Teachers need to work, pay taxes, buy stuff, yada yada.

Private daycare centers get a hard no from me. Realize parents depend on them, "and" the people that run them are entrepreneurs which
I am all for. But not now. Expertise, strict supervision is paramount for the wee ones. The two my son had would have been unacceptable.
The one I can see out my back window would be not near good enough.
Better design a mandatory training course if that's even possible.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:14 pm Schools opening again (at less then capacity) is one thing. It will be well supervised. I hope. I think it will. I'd still prefer virtual but oh well.
Teachers need to work, pay taxes, buy stuff, yada yada.
Teachers are on a yearly salary, so they've been getting paid all along.

Micky wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:14 pm Private daycare centers get a hard no from me. Realize parents depend on them, "and" the people that run them are entrepreneurs which
I am all for. But not now. Expertise, strict supervision is paramount for the wee ones. The two my son had would have been unacceptable.
The one I can see out my back window would be not near good enough.
Better design a mandatory training course if that's even possible.
Private daycare centres have had the option of remaining open this entire time.

The one you "can see outside your back window" may have chosen to close though. (smile)

BTW hasn't it been a few decades since your son was in daycare? :crazy:

Not sure why you seem to think schools would have an easier time enforcing social distancing than daycares.

I would think it would be just the opposite.

Lots more kids in schools/classrooms than most daycare centres.

Higher kid to supervisor ratio in most schools than daycare centres.

More students in one room at a time in schools than most daycare centres.

Teachers are no more trained in social distancing than daycare operators.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I was talking to my brother in law in sweden on the weekend and both him and his wife plus their 2 kids all had it and are fine again. They didnt even really think it was that bad or anything

Those crazy Swedes dont give a fuck (although his grandad died from it i guess... :wow: )
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

My kid goes back to school tomorrow.

I guess Fred is too busy googling useless pictures to look up the worksafe bc guidelines for school.

Or he's too fucking senile.

Schools have been in operation for weeks with kids who need a school learning environment and kids of healthcare workers who need to get back to work. It has been going flawlessly.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Topper wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:56 pm I guess Fred is too busy googling useless pictures to look up the worksafe bc guidelines for school.
https://www.worksafebc.com/en/about-us/ ... -operation

One of three I read first.... but it must be all good cause your"s returns tomorrow.
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:06 pm Teachers are no more trained in social distancing than daycare operators.
Well that's scary! By the way, I said private daycare. I didn't accompany that word with sanctioned.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bit over the wall but people are worried; https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5592171
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

We never shut the schools in Sweden, nor daycare. Kids rarely seem to get affected by covid-19, so it seemed a bad idea to rob them of their education while forcing their parents (including doctors and nurses) to stay home and look after them.
We did switch high schools and universities to on line mode though.

But of those that have died in Sweden 89% were 70 or older.
The median age of those that have died from covid-19 is 86.
Only 4% of those that have died were younger than 60.
The youngest person who has died so far was 22 years old.

Thus to me it seems keeping the schools (and daycare) open was the right choice.
And you can see that virtually all countries are now opening the schools again.

Oh, also, so far no teachers have died from covid-19. :thumbs:

At the other end of the spectrum, the nursing homes in Sweden have failed big time to keep their residents safe.
Of the 4400 that have died from covid in Sweden, rouhgly 40% (or 1900) lived in nursing homes.

It's not really the main corona strategy that has failed, but the nursing homes are not really operated in a way that protects the elderly from infectious disease. They are understaffed, and as a result bring in lots of temps that are not properly trained, and as they are not full time employees don't have the same sick leave benefits, so there is a high risk that they will go to work with a fever rather than losing money.

This has been a problem for a long time, but it suddenly turned lethal when corona hit. Even though they shut the homes so visitors are no longer allowed, the staff goes from room to room, the elderly walk around in the corridors, and it's really hard to contain the disease once it enters the facility. One third of nursing homes in the Stockholm area have been hit by covid-19.

It's not been the same in Norway and Denmark, where nursing homes tend to be smaller.
But I guess they have also not have th esame spread in the general population, so far.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:32 am
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:06 pm Private daycare centres have had the option of remaining open this entire time.

Well that's scary! By the way, I said private daycare. I didn't accompany that word with sanctioned.
What the fuck are you talking about? :eh:

When they shut down the schools ALL private daycare centres in operation at the time had the option of remaining open.

Or am I missing something here?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:09 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:32 am
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:06 pm Private daycare centres have had the option of remaining open this entire time.

What the fuck are you talking about? :eh:

When they shut down the schools ALL private daycare centres in operation at the time had the option of remaining open.

Or am I missing something here?
Well, they're private, but not sanctioned... :?

so... probably talking about some clandestine black market daycare centres. :drink:
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

My other European leftist friend at the other sports site is not a big fan of the Swedish approach:

Swedish COVID Response Architect Says Policies Were Too Lax, Resulted in Too Many Deaths

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/swe ... ny-deaths/

Sweden’s response to the coronavirus resulted in too many deaths and could have been improved, the country’s chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell told Swedish radio on Wednesday.

Tegnell designed a unique strategy by which the country allowed non-essential businesses to remain open, urging citizens to comply with social distancing regulations and to avoid unnecessary travel. Sweden’s death rate from coronavirus as of Wednesday sits at 443 per million of the country’s population, far higher than its Nordic neighbors Finland (58 per million) and Norway (44 per million), both of which imposed more far-reaching lockdowns of nonessential businesses.

When asked whether Sweden had seen too many deaths, Tegnell answered, “Yes, absolutely.”

“If we were to encounter the same disease again knowing exactly what we know about it today, I think we would settle on doing something in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,” Tegnell said, in comments translated by the Guardian. Tegnell added that medical officials would need to learn “what else, besides what we did, you could do without imposing a total shutdown.”

Coronavirus has been particularly lethal for the elderly in Sweden, with roughly half of the country’s 4,500 deaths occurring among residents of nursing homes.

“There was no strategy at all for the elderly, I now understand,” Annike Linde, former chief epidemiologist from 2005 to 2015, told the Swedish state broadcaster last week. “I do not understand how they can stand and say the level of preparedness was good, when in fact it was lousy.”

Sweden’s relatively lax strategy was designed in part to avoid a complete shutdown of the economy. While the country’s GDP grew slightly in the first three months of the year, Swedish economists still predict an eventual economic contraction of 7 percent by the end of 2020, with 10 percent unemployment.

Lewis Goodall

@lewis_goodall

The Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs has divided Europe into colours based on Covid infection rates.From 15/06 Czechs can travel from green/orange countries without restriction. From red countries, however, Czechs will require tests. The only red countries are Sweden and the UK.

https://twitter.com/mzvcr/status/1267738561702477824
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Interesting... I get Madarsko for Hungary (they call themselves Magyar) and Nemecko for Germany (Nemetski in Russian). I can even see some semblance of reason in calling Switzerland Svycarsko.

But Rakousko for Austria? Nizozemsko for the Netherlands?
Mind boggling. :|

And calling Slovakia Slovensko is just misleading. Makes you think Slovenia, which they instead call Slovinsko.
Slovensko Slovinsko. Tomayto Tomahto. :look:
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Calling Iceland Island makes sense though.

Why didn't I think of that :)
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Rako usko in Finnish would mean "gap faith".

Does that mean Austrians will never shop at H&M? :hmmm:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:24 am Calling Iceland Island makes sense though.

Why didn't I think of that :)
Sounds a bit generic in English though... :look:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Coronavirus: WHO advises to wear masks in public areas, reversing policy
51 minutes ago from time released'..

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52945210
"evolution"