We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 5thhorseman »

True Whizbang, but we wouldn't need all this PPE if we had reacted more swiftly to close the borders and do widespread testing, quarantining, and contact tracing like Singapore, Taiwan, and South Korea. This disaster was coming at us in slow motion; it's inexcusable that our governments didn't react in time. And now it's too late to contain, most people will get it at some point.

On top of that I saw that there are anti-vaxxers suggesting COVID-19 parties so all their kids can catch it and have "natural immunity". Fucking idiots!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I imagine trips to Vegas and Mexico will be dirt cheap when things get back to normal. Probably pick up a new sled for a lot cheaper as well.

Hookers must be dirt cheap right now. Probably feeling the pinch like the restaurants and bars.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Health care systems maintaining stocks of supplies to feed the level being currently consumed is like Vancouver investing in snow removal equipment.

Note one of the shortages mentioned yesterday is reagents for testing. All these supplies have expiry dates.

Test swabs were never an issue. Masks may be an issue in some places. Lab capacity was a very big issue. The fact only one testing methods was approved was also a major issue. Both of those are addressed. The backlog in lab analysis should be cleared early next week.

The interesting thing will be the next 2 weeks. A week ago was when restrictions began to be put in place, this past week, they are starting to be taken seriously. See how this incubation period goes.

There are community spread cases in BC, it would be interesting to see the growth rate of those separated from the cluster cases associated with a few care centres and the dental conference.

Our rural community has gone off the deep end. Go to the store for groceries and someone may out you on FB. God help you if you have an out of province licence plate and so in town.

There is now an old bitty sowing circle making masks and gowns should the local medical community need them.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:58 am I wonder if the lesson learned from all this embarassing shortage of the most basic medical PPE will be developed countries returning to the manufacturing of life saving essentials domestically and ending the reliance on china to make everything.
Couldn't agree more! I am appalled at how we buy everything from them. The lack of second and third industries in Canada, (BC in particular),
has angered me for years. The fact that Hollywood North a few years ago was, along with tourism, our two biggest money makers.
So tired of being owned.
Mining, forestry, petroleum, natural gas----we sell, sell, sell. Cheap! Maybe we can use a little ourselves and start making some of our own
products at a affordable price while marking up the foreign product to make it fair.
Do you want rubber product, tires, other stuff, made in BC or China?
Maybe my son's kids whenever he has any, will find out the answer to that. :scowl:
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:58 am I wonder if the lesson learned from all this embarassing shortage of the most basic medical PPE will be developed countries returning to the manufacturing of life saving essentials domestically and ending the reliance on china to make everything.

Nurses and physicians screaming for masks and testing swabs has to be an eye opener
This - hope this is one of the good things that come out of this whole shit show.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I got a laugh out of Taiwans rapid reponse to the threat and the fact that they had access to all the supplies and testing equipment they could ever need. Thats where half of it all likely comes from
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Some people are handling this better than others...

Here’s a chap called Nick Heath who’s a rugby commentator and journalist and also a podcast producer.

But it’s the commentating bit we’re really interested in. Because in the absence of any live sport, all postponed because of coronavirus, Nick started commenting on everyday life as he saw it and shared the videos on Twitter.

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2020/03/20/th ... brilliant/
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:51 am
Couldn't agree more! I am appalled at how we buy everything from them. The lack of second and third industries in Canada, (BC in particular),
has angered me for years. The fact that Hollywood North a few years ago was, along with tourism, our two biggest money makers.
So tired of being owned.
Mining, forestry, petroleum, natural gas----we sell, sell, sell. Cheap! Maybe we can use a little ourselves and start making some of our own
products at a affordable price while marking up the foreign product to make it fair.
Do you want rubber product, tires, other stuff, made in BC or China?
Maybe my son's kids whenever he has any, will find out the answer to that. :scowl:
Yes, only a descendant of Micky can save us! :lol:

Don't get mad Micky, just having a little fun. :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/canad ... s-patients

Canada is already using chloroquine on coronavirus patients

Yay.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Not quite the cure-all your orange hero makes it out to be.
The drug touted by the U.S. President Donald Trump as a possible line of treatment against the coronavirus comes with severe warnings in China and can kill in dosages as little as two grams.

China, where the deadly pathogen first emerged in December, recommended the decades-old malaria drug chloroquine to treat infected patients in guidelines issued in February after seeing encouraging results in clinical trials. But within days, it cautioned doctors and health officials about the drug’s lethal side effects and rolled back its usage.
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/cov ... ll-a-human
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Every time I see a post equating Italy to BC I think of this.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:45 pm Not quite the cure-all your orange hero makes it out to be.
The drug touted by the U.S. President Donald Trump as a possible line of treatment against the coronavirus comes with severe warnings in China and can kill in dosages as little as two grams.

China, where the deadly pathogen first emerged in December, recommended the decades-old malaria drug chloroquine to treat infected patients in guidelines issued in February after seeing encouraging results in clinical trials. But within days, it cautioned doctors and health officials about the drug’s lethal side effects and rolled back its usage.
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/cov ... ll-a-human
UMMMMM. Two grams is 4 times the recommended dosage! :hmmm:

A lot of powerful drugs are deadly if taken at 4 times the recommended dosage.

Donny didn't recommend anyone takes 4 times the recommended dosage.

And yes, pregnant women and folks with severe health conditions

... are not candidates for a lot of drugs most folks can safely consume.

Including chloroquine.

Yet chloroquine has saved the lives of millions of people over the years

... and has proven effective in clinical trials against COVID-19.

I'd say the author of your article is desperately throwing shade at Trumpy-poo

... at the risk of scaring some people away from the very medicine that could save there lives.

Too bad there is no known cure for TDS. :(
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cinchona Botanical Gardens, in the Blue Mountains just NE of Kingston Jamaica was started by the British as a Cinchona plantation and source of antimalarial quinine for the British Colonies. Unfortunately, by the time the gardens reached production, quinine was no longer effective against malaria.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Check it out Corn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloroquine
Chloroquine was discovered in 1934 by Hans Andersag. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the medicines needed in a health system that are considered to be the safest and most effective. It is available as a generic medication. The wholesale cost in the developing world is about US$0.04.In the United States, it costs about US$5.30 per dose.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Oh - I know it's a good drug - it's just not for everyone. Given the choice myself, of dying from COVID or risking it, I would take some. ;)