We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Mickey107 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:11 pm I see on our local news here that 64% of BC residents would approve a service tax for unvaccinated users of the health care system.

That's ridiculous
Never going to happen, nor should it. That really surprises me. Doesn't seem reflective of BC thinking or general attitude.
"evolution"
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...the poll was completed in the 5th household only.

It was a dead heat until the dog voted.

He'd been into the excess baggies and wasn't sure what was up so elected for user pay.
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Micky wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:28 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:11 pm I see on our local news here that 64% of BC residents would approve a service tax for unvaccinated users of the health care system.

That's ridiculous
Never going to happen, nor should it. That really surprises me. Doesn't seem reflective of BC thinking or general attitude.
It just happened in Quebec.....but not a service charge, instead it's an actual tax.

BC will embrace the "lesser evil" and only charge for use.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

It may come to that.

The future will tell.

If you are unvaccinated and hit the hospital for covid it becomes user pay.

Perhaps.

The Quebecois, however, are lunatics and I have trouble basing what our doughheads might do on what they've done.

They're a distinct society dontchaknow.
DeLevering since 1999.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

donlever wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:30 pm
Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:03 pm Having it and recovering from it should carry the same weight as being vaccinated.
...so I've been saying.
So what weight should it carry exactly? 1st dose only? Fully vaxxed? Or only half a dose perhaps?

You may have had covid once, but what was your viral load, and did it create sufficient antibodies?

I'd support what your saying, but only if it can be quantified via an antibody test.

Someone may have had a mild case of covid and should still get a booster (or catch a more severe case of covid :lol:).
Last edited by 5thhorseman on Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:56 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:49 pm
Per wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:25 pm
Mëds wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:02 pm Does anyone anywhere actually think that this is about anything other than government control now?
Yes.
For me as well.

Government control to what end? Nobody has really answered that question yet. Just lots of vague generalisations.
In your own words 5th: It's all a charade.

So what's the point of all of this?

Control also includes taxation and funding.

There's no rationale for half of what they've been doing, science has often been ignored or discredited and then walked back to like they never ignored it in the first place.

It's about controlling information, it's about controlling access and privilege, it's about trampling freedoms, it's about trying to change society.
Context Mëds. In my words the public's response to masking rules is a charade. That's what I said. It was not a comment on government.

The rest of your post is those vague generalisations I was talking about.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

That's ridiculous
I would guess that the same or higher % of BC residents approve of taxes on cigarettes.

Cigarette use also burdens the healthcare system.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:04 pm
donlever wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:30 pm
Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:03 pm Having it and recovering from it should carry the same weight as being vaccinated.
...so I've been saying.
So what weight should it carry exactly? 1st dose only? Fully vaxxed? Or only half a dose perhaps?

You may have had covid once, but what was your viral load, and did it create sufficient antibodies?

I'd support what your saying, but only if it can be quantified via an antibody test.
Considering that Israel's studies (and others now) have proven that natural acquired immunity is 27 times better than vaccinated immunity, I'd say it should be exactly that, an immunity card.

You have to understand that it doesn't matter what your viral load was or how many antibodies you created. Your memory-B cells will make them very quickly as soon as your exposed again.

From the tone of most of your posts 5th it sounds to me like you want to live in a society where you have to get a needle every 6 months or so for every critter that comes along. Where does it end? Covid burns through us and enters an endemic stage where it's nothing more than a common cold that's always here. Then another virus that's just as bad or worse (or so they'll tell us) shows up and now there's a shot for that too.....and so it goes, until every month you are lining up for a vaccine on a revolving basis.

If it comes to that I suspect you'll see some pretty serious civil problems.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:09 pm
I would guess that the same or higher % of BC residents approve of taxes on cigarettes.

Fair point there....
DeLevering since 1999.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

That's ridiculous

As does alcohol
Drug use
Rock climbing
Skiing
Driving
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:07 pm
Mëds wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:56 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:49 pm
Per wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:25 pm
Mëds wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:02 pm Does anyone anywhere actually think that this is about anything other than government control now?
Yes.
For me as well.

Government control to what end? Nobody has really answered that question yet. Just lots of vague generalisations.
In your own words 5th: It's all a charade.

So what's the point of all of this?

Control also includes taxation and funding.

There's no rationale for half of what they've been doing, science has often been ignored or discredited and then walked back to like they never ignored it in the first place.

It's about controlling information, it's about controlling access and privilege, it's about trampling freedoms, it's about trying to change society.
Context Mëds. In my words the public's response to masking rules is a charade. That's what I said. It was not a comment on government.

The rest of your post is those vague generalisations I was talking about.
The post in question (that I "quoted") I believe was a one line response from you. I just assumed you meant the pandemic response at this point was a charade. Whatever carry on.

I'm not generalizing anything. I'm watching as our government creates policies to FORCE something on people. That's control. It's also needless. The numbers do not bear out the need for these measures.

Bonnie the other day saying that hospitalizations are not what we should go by in terms of how devastating omicron is to us.....WTF? So now we ignore the hospitalizations? Now it's just about case counts? What devastation is it causing? Workforce shortages? Healthcare impact? Only because they have used/allowed the media to scare the shit out of everyone so that people are still running to get tested for a common cold to the tune of $100 a test.

Bonnie is being taken to court because she won't release the scientific data she has used to make her decisions.

The mask thing alone should be a massive wake up call for you. How many people were saying right off the hop that only fitted N95 masks are of any use. The powers that be tried to discredit those voices.....now they are saying that N95 masks are what we need and we should be using. They either don't have a clue what they are doing, which should scare the shit out of you, or they know exactly what they are doing with the constant changes and disinformation, and that should also scare the shit out of you.

Pull your head out of the sand dude.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

rats19 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:12 pm alcohol
Drug use
Rock "climbing"
"Skiing"
Driving
The Chef's list of preferred hobbies right there
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

donlever wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:11 pm

Fair point there....
Actually it's not.

When the numbers are saying that 4.6 per 100,000 cases will require hospitalization we are looking at 99.99+% of Covid sufferers will NOT be a burden on the system. Obviously those numbers are averaged and age dependent, but still.....

Contrast that to smokers.

20% of them will develop lung cancer. Some studies are showing that 50% of them will develop COPD by the time they hit retirement age.

That's a big difference.....and the fact is that we don't charge smokers extra money at the hospital or doctor's office. They pay it for the death sticks.

So what happens when Sally and Joe are struck by a drunk driver? The both have compound fractures of their LT femur and need surgery. Sally is vaxxed but Joe isn't. Neither of them have Covid and they both ended up at the hospital for the same reason because of the same drunk driver. Joe has to pay more?

Yeah. Not fair at all.

5th probably thinks it is though.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

rats19 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:12 pm

That's ridiculous

As does alcohol
Drug use
Rock climbing
Skiing
Driving
Alcohol and drug use, sure.

The others you might go to the hospital for, but I wouldn't call it a burden.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

So what's the Omicron lag time after the New Year's parties for hospitalisations to tick upwards?