We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by donlever »

Hey 5th...straightforward question.

No ulterior motive.

How is being vaccinated stopping infections or the spread of the virus?
DeLevering since 1999.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

donlever wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:49 pm Hey 5th...straightforward question.

No ulterior motive.

How is being vaccinated stopping infections or the spread of the virus?
That is the question of the moment, is it not? Whether the vaccine reduces viral load or duration. I haven't seen any conclusive study on that either way as yet, though admittedly I haven't been looking of late.

Back to Mëds' theory, if the vaccine does nothing to stop infection or spread, then how has it forced anything with regard to mutations?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:46 pm That is the question of the moment, is it not? Whether the vaccine reduces viral load or duration. I haven't seen any conclusive study on that either way as yet, though admittedly I haven't been looking of late.
I think we could both go online for 20 minutes and find legit theories for both sides of the question from credible, educated, well regarded individuals.

It's a sad state of affairs either way....
5thhorseman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:46 pm Back to Mëds' theory, if the vaccine does nothing to stop infection or spread, then how has it forced anything with regard to mutations?
...over to you Mëds....
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

donlever wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:48 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:46 pm That is the question of the moment, is it not? Whether the vaccine reduces viral load or duration. I haven't seen any conclusive study on that either way as yet, though admittedly I haven't been looking of late.
I think we could both go online for 20 minutes and find legit theories for both sides of the question from credible, educated, well regarded individuals.

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:46 pm Back to Mëds' theory, if the vaccine does nothing to stop infection or spread, then how has it forced anything with regard to mutations?
...over to you Mëds....
Similar principle to how overuse of antibiotics "created" the superbugs.

Viruses mutate to stay alive. Virus enters host and host is ready for it virus is forced to adapt faster and mutates. Virus enters host and host isn't ready, virus sits complacently in his barker lounger.

I'll try and dig up the properly explained theory that comes from someone more educated than me.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

donlever wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:48 pm

True, but that can be said for many subjects. It doesn't mean absolute truth doesn't exist or can't be deduced.

In any case I don't regard something from any one individual as being conclusive anyways. Give me something that's been peer reviewed and published in a respected scientific publication with a high impact factor.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:19 pm Viruses mutate to stay alive.
Wrong. Virus mutations are random.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:50 pm In any case I don't regard something from any one individual as being conclusive anyways.
....from credible, educated, well regarded individuals.

I went with the plural to cover that avenue my friend.

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:50 pm Give me something that's been peer reviewed and published in a respected scientific publication with a high impact factor.
Manipulated by the man you mean!

:sly:
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:54 pm
Mëds wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:19 pm Viruses mutate to stay alive.
Wrong. Virus mutations are random.
Not so sure about that....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5075021/

Our current knowledge of viral mutation rates indicates that viral genetic diversity is determined by multiple virus- and host-dependent processes, and that viral mutation rates can evolve in response to specific selective pressures.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Is there a difference between a virus mutating (random) and evolving (most useful mutations carry on) ?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:18 pm Is there a difference between a virus mutating (random) and evolving (most useful mutations carry on) ?
Ask Mick.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

donlever wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:23 pm
Cornuck wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:18 pm Is there a difference between a virus mutating (random) and evolving (most useful mutations carry on) ?
Ask Mick.
Yes - our go-to guy for all science and politician queries.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:24 pm
donlever wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:23 pm
Ask Mick.
Yes - our go-to guy for all science and politician queries.
Yeah, was more running with a mutating virus gag there....
DeLevering since 1999.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

donlever wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:02 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:50 pm In any case I don't regard something from any one individual as being conclusive anyways.
....from credible, educated, well regarded individuals.

I went with the plural to cover that avenue my friend.

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:50 pm Give me something that's been peer reviewed and published in a respected scientific publication with a high impact factor.
Manipulated by the man you mean!

:sly:
Is there really a difference? A group of credible, educated, well regarded individuals agreeing on something is the essence of peer review. Is it the act of publishing that something that is suspect? How is scientific knowledge to be shared without publishing it?
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Viruses (and other life forms) evolve by mutating and having the most useful mutations carry on, yes.

Except in Mick's case, of course.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Nothing is suspect 5th.

I'm just playin' about trying to have a laugh or two here...

Doobie time bro....
DeLevering since 1999.