We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 2Fingers »

masking alone does not work 100%
Vaccine alone does not work 100%
Social Distancing works but not 100% unless you live with zero contact with others.

But together they do offer protection and reduce transmission. Will there be exceptions? Of course with how many billion people impacted there will always be outliers.

Mëds to say masks don't work, IMHO, is incorrect, every mask works to a certain degree and they do offer protection. Each type of mask offers different levels of protection to you and the people around you.

Edit - my comments are not meant to start any heavy discussion, I am just stating my opinion.
Last edited by 2Fingers on Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

2Fingers wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:21 pm masking alone does not work 100%
Vaccine alone does not work 100%
Social Distancing works but not 100% unless you live with zero contact with others.

But together they do offer protection and reduce transmission. Will there be exceptions? Of course with how many billion people impacted there will always be outliers.
And that's the bottom line - a combination of tactics, and most people will choose a mix of what they feel comfortable with. I don't know what's like up there, but around here most people (99%) don't wear masks, most aren't vaccinated (about 45% are), and most don't social distance - most bars, restaurants, concerts etc are operating as normal. We also happen to be in the middle of the highest surge of cases.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Pretty high percentage of mask wearing up here from what I see in my domain.

The Darwinian side of it is seeing 8 masked doughnuts get on an elevator that has a sign outside it saying 2 to 3 people max.

You also hear them say things like....we're vaccinated so we're good as if they have no clue they could....

...be infected

...be hospitalized

...pass it on to an elder and kill them
DeLevering since 1999.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

donlever wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:38 pm Pretty high percentage of mask wearing up here from what I see in my domain.

The Darwinian side of it is seeing 8 masked doughnuts get on an elevator that has a sign outside it saying 2 to 3 people max.

You also hear them say things like....we're vaccinated so we're good as if they have no clue they could....

...be infected

...be hospitalized

...pass it on to an elder and kill them
I think I am starting to lose it, when I read doughnuts my mind went to Lee's doughnuts and now I am hungry.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

There are some aspects to this whole pandemic that I really do hope carry forward in some manner.

Sanitization standards for public places and establishments is one for sure.

Personal hygiene of course but that's tough to enforce, even now people in public washrooms baffle me.

Wearing masks when you are sick is another, this is common in Asian countries even before Covid. We have many off-shore clients or ones new to Canada and they routinely would wear masks if they aren't feeling well even for a runny nose so that they wouldn't pass on their germs/viruses to others. Or just stay home until you are feeling better!
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

We've got a long way to go AP!

As you probably know, parents routinely send their kids to school even when they're obviously sick. The parent comes to pick the kid up only after they've barfed in class! Some of the stories my wife tells me are unbelievable.

Hopefully another carry-forward from this pandemic is more relaxed attitudes to WFH, and the consequent easing of pressure on cities in respect of traffic, property prices, etc.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:50 pm We've got a long way to go AP!

As you probably know, parents routinely send their kids to school even when they're obviously sick. The parent comes to pick the kid up only after they've barfed in class! Some of the stories my wife tells me are unbelievable.

Hopefully another carry-forward from this pandemic is more relaxed attitudes to WFH, and the consequent easing of pressure on cities in respect of traffic, property prices, etc.
Oh I agree!

We're fortunate in that a lot of the work we do can can be from home so our employees are encouraged to stay if they aren't feeling well.

Although as an aside, our property prices have skyrocketed up here because of the capability of many to work remotely. One of the biggest selling features of homes is a home office!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

2Fingers wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:21 pm Mëds to say masks don't work, IMHO, is incorrect, every mask works to a certain degree and they do offer protection. Each type of mask offers different levels of protection to you and the people around you.
I think you need to go read about the size of the virus and the effect a mask has on something that small.....we are talking about an airborne virus, not a droplet bound virus.

I'm saying the simple cloth face coverings and surgical masks do not work. N95 masks are a different animal.....we aren't wearing those.

It's interesting that you continue to think that masks work when the Covid advisor to the highest office in "the free world" says they basically don't work.

Oh and social distancing (6ft) doesn't work with an airborne virus either. The virus moves through ventilation systems and floats on air currents. Again, not being droplet bound means that it doesn't have a molecular mass that is sufficient enough for gravity to simply bring it to the nearest surface within that 6' distance.

Isolating and remaining in one's own household? Sure that works. Proper hygiene? Of course that helps to a degree.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Isn't most transmission from droplet-bound viruses from sneezing and coughing?

Also those spit-talkers.
Last edited by 5thhorseman on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:19 pm
2Fingers wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:21 pm Mëds to say masks don't work, IMHO, is incorrect, every mask works to a certain degree and they do offer protection. Each type of mask offers different levels of protection to you and the people around you.
I think you need to go read about the size of the virus and the effect a mask has on something that small.....we are talking about an airborne virus, not a droplet bound virus.

I'm saying the simple cloth face coverings and surgical masks do not work. N95 masks are a different animal.....we aren't wearing those.

It's interesting that you continue to think that masks work when the Covid advisor to the highest office in "the free world" says they basically don't work.

Oh and social distancing (6ft) doesn't work with an airborne virus either. The virus moves through ventilation systems and floats on air currents. Again, not being droplet bound means that it doesn't have a molecular mass that is sufficient enough for gravity to simply bring it to the nearest surface within that 6' distance.

Isolating and remaining in one's own household? Sure that works. Proper hygiene? Of course that helps to a degree.
Agreed.

Masks (below sealed N95 levels) do sweet fuck all against covid.

I feel I made a strong case for this early on in the pandemic...
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I assume you mean Fauci?

I tried to google him saying masks do not work but can only find articles from 2020 and early in the pandemic. Do you have a link to anything he has said recently?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

2Fingers wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:01 pm

I assume you mean Fauci?

I tried to google him saying masks do not work but can only find articles from 2020 and early in the pandemic. Do you have a link to anything he has said recently?
No. Not Fauci. He's the head of the NIH. He's not Biden's Covid advisor. I'll find his name and get back to you with it.

Regardless, he's not the only one out there saying this.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:57 pm

Agreed.

Masks (below sealed N95 levels) do sweet fuck all against covid.

I feel I made a strong case for this early on in the pandemic...
Myself and some of my colleagues were making cases for it as soon as they announced that it seemed to spread through ventilation systems. Droplet bound viruses don't do that.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:39 pm No. Not Fauci. He's the head of the NIH. He's not Biden's Covid advisor.
He's the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the NIH is MUCH bigger than that, the NIAID is one department within it.

He is the Chief Medical Advisor to Biden, so I'm guessing he's advising on Covid.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UHvwWW ... hnCampbell

Fuck around anyways.

UK data obtained through freedom of information.

Covid only deaths account for roughly 17,000 through all ages with an average age of death being 81.5 years.

That's a mortality rate of 0.0011.

Absolutely staggering.