We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 14468
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Topper »

BC quietly removed self isolation requirement for the vaccinated with covid symptoms. Now only recommended. The have also given up on testing all but the most vulnerable. This mornings comment "We cannot eliminate all risk, and I think that's something we need to understand and accept," - Dr Henry.

Finally telling people that the geni isn't going back in the bottle.

How long until those living in abject fear get the message?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11045
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:15 pm BC quietly removed self isolation requirement for the vaccinated with covid symptoms. Now only recommended. The have also given up on testing all but the most vulnerable. This mornings comment "We cannot eliminate all risk, and I think that's something we need to understand and accept," - Dr Henry.

Finally telling people that the geni isn't going back in the bottle.

How long until those living in abject fear get the message?
I dunno.....maybe 5th can update us every week and we'll see where he's at.
User avatar
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3696
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:04 am

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:26 pm
Topper wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:15 pm BC quietly removed self isolation requirement for the vaccinated with covid symptoms. Now only recommended. The have also given up on testing all but the most vulnerable. This mornings comment "We cannot eliminate all risk, and I think that's something we need to understand and accept," - Dr Henry.

Finally telling people that the geni isn't going back in the bottle.

How long until those living in abject fear get the message?
I dunno.....maybe 5th can update us every week and we'll see where he's at.
Lol, I don't know where you get the idea that I've been holed up like a doomsday prepper. If you've read my posts you'll know it's been the opposite
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11045
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:05 pm
Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:26 pm
Topper wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:15 pm BC quietly removed self isolation requirement for the vaccinated with covid symptoms. Now only recommended. The have also given up on testing all but the most vulnerable. This mornings comment "We cannot eliminate all risk, and I think that's something we need to understand and accept," - Dr Henry.

Finally telling people that the geni isn't going back in the bottle.

How long until those living in abject fear get the message?
I dunno.....maybe 5th can update us every week and we'll see where he's at.
Lol, I don't know where you get the idea that I've been holed up like a doomsday prepper. If you've read my posts you'll know it's been the opposite
You just have been a strong advocate for everything they've done since the beginning of the pandemic.....now numbers are showing it has all been baseless so one must question the motivations for them to do so.....but you've also been very clear that you don't believe in any conspiracy or ulterior motive behind the responses.

One just logically assumed you were scared shitless of the virus.
User avatar
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3696
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:04 am

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:12 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:05 pm
Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:26 pm
Topper wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:15 pm BC quietly removed self isolation requirement for the vaccinated with covid symptoms. Now only recommended. The have also given up on testing all but the most vulnerable. This mornings comment "We cannot eliminate all risk, and I think that's something we need to understand and accept," - Dr Henry.

Finally telling people that the geni isn't going back in the bottle.

How long until those living in abject fear get the message?
I dunno.....maybe 5th can update us every week and we'll see where he's at.
Lol, I don't know where you get the idea that I've been holed up like a doomsday prepper. If you've read my posts you'll know it's been the opposite
You just have been a strong advocate for everything they've done since the beginning of the pandemic.....now numbers are showing it has all been baseless so one must question the motivations for them to do so.....but you've also been very clear that you don't believe in any conspiracy or ulterior motive behind the responses.

One just logically assumed you were scared shitless of the virus.
You're just assuming things Mëds. And I wouldn't say I'm a "strong advocate"; maybe an apologist? I tend to reserve judgement. I have supported vaccination but not coercing people by denying basic needs like shopping and healthcare.

I think I posted before that I have more than a few non-vaxxed friends and they've been over for dinner and whatnot during the pandemic.

I'm in the rinks and on the ice with kids for minor hockey.

I think what Topper posted recently about conspiracy and government overreach more closely aligns with my views than anything else on these boards.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11045
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Meds »

I'm just baiting you. ;)
User avatar
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3696
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:04 am

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:03 pm I'm just baiting you. ;)
Well, you are a master baiter ;)
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11045
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Meds »

Europe now looking at whether or not COVID boosters could lead to T-Cell exhaustion and if that could make one more susceptible to infection(s).....

Go figure.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-do-multiple ... a-60447735
User avatar
Per
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8097
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sweden

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:12 pm ....now numbers are showing it has all been baseless so one must question the motivations for them to do so.....
That’s a complete misunderstanding.

As the majority of the population has either been vaccinated or recovered from having had covid and the newer strains of the virus seem less likely to kill people or make them seriously ill, we’re approaching the time when it may be possible to go back to normal and lift restrictions.

But that doesn’t mean the measures taken earlier were wrong or meaningless. It seems pretty clear that lives have been saved.

If you compare the number of covid deaths per million inhabitants, it seems clear that shutdowns, vaccination programmes and restrictions have made a difference.

Countries where the political leaders scoffed at addressing the pandemic have has far more deaths per capita than those that took it seriously.

Just compare the 850 dead per million in Canada with the 2660 in the USA or the 2899 in Brazil.
If the USA had enforced similar restrictions as Canada did, two thirds of their 888,000 dead might still be alive.

And Countries with even stricter measures have done even better:

Finland 327 per million
Norway 258
Japan 147
Australia 98
New Zeeland 10

I assume it also helped that Japan, Australia and Japan are island nations, making border control easier.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Peru is worst of all with 6056 dead per million. But I assume that is the result of a combination of incompetence, poverty and lack of access to proper healthcare. I also think they had difficulties getting hold of sufficient amounts of the vaccine.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
User avatar
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP
Posts: 20785
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:09 pm
Peru is worst of all with 6056 dead per million. But I assume that is the result of a combination of incompetence, poverty and lack of access to proper healthcare. I also think they had difficulties getting hold of sufficient amounts of the vaccine.
Peru has possibly the most "homely" women in the world...I wonder if the lowered expectations have anything to do with it
If you need air...call it in
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 14468
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Topper »

Countries that have been locked down like Australia and New Zealand are in for a shock when they open up. It will be fun to watch from afar.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3696
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:04 am

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:22 pm Countries that have been locked down like Australia and New Zealand are in for a shock when they open up. It will be fun to watch from afar.
Fun in a throwing Christians to the lions kind of way?
User avatar
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7346
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:23 am
Location: North Shore

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Justin Faulk saying out loud what a lot of US based NHL players must be thinking.

Blues' Justin Faulk says he's not looking forward to going to Canada

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/bl ... np1taskbar


That was the message from St. Louis Blues defenceman Justin Faulk, who was none too pleased about finishing his team’s road trip with games in Vancouver and Calgary on Sunday and Monday, respectively.

“I’m not looking forward to going to Canada one bit. But we’ll play some hockey games and get it over with and then come back.,” Faulk said on Thursday.

Faulk also indicated that the majority of the Blues would be "on holiday," perhaps referring to the All-Star break. St. Louis hosts the Winnipeg Jets on Jan. 29 before the break kicks off in earnest.

Prompted with a follow-up, Faulk balked at the stringent COVID-19 testing measures required upon crossing the Canadian border.

“I mean it just seems to be that things are going a little bit differently up there than they are here. I like where we’re at in this country, so we’ll go with that.”

Evidently, the impending West Coast swing over the Canadian border wasn’t a distraction for Faulk, as the Blues cruised to a 5-0 victory over the expansion Seattle Kraken on Friday, while his club held a 65 percent share of the expected goals when he was on the ice at 5-on-5.

The 29-year-old Minnesota native is enjoying a nice season, scoring five goals with 11 assists through 34 games. He's a key contributor on the St. Louis blue line, averaging nearly 23 minutes of ice time per night while owning an impressive plus-23 rating.

We could all use a holiday, I suppose. Here’s to hoping the rest of the road trip isn’t a complete pain for Faulk and the Blues.
el rey del mambo
User avatar
Per
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8097
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sweden

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:22 pm Countries that have been locked down like Australia and New Zealand are in for a shock when they open up. It will be fun to watch from afar.
Well, they would be if it were not for vaccines and that the somewhat milder omicron strain has replaced the original covid virus and the also pretty lethal delta.

People who get the omicron strand seem to be only half as likely to end up in intensive care as those who got the original or the delta strain. Add to this that the unvaxxed are ten times more likely to need intensive care than those who are double vaxxed. And Australians and Kiwis have had ample time to vaxx up. Not like me and my wife who caught covid before vaccines were available for our age group.

Thus even though omicron may sweep through Australia and NZ as a wildfire when they open up, there will be nowhere near the number of casualties that we saw in eg the USA, in Sweden or even in Canada.

Most likely the death toll they experience in a delayed covid experience should be roughly 5% of what they had had without their draconian shutdown. So my guess is they will not even reach the Finnish level of roughly 300 per million.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 14468
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:44 pm
Topper wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:22 pm Countries that have been locked down like Australia and New Zealand are in for a shock when they open up. It will be fun to watch from afar.
Fun in a throwing Christians to the lions kind of way?
Throwing mold spores to a Petri dish
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Post Reply