We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7354
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:23 am
Location: North Shore

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:14 am Djokovic is the first player to lose a tournament after missing 2 shots.
:lol: :lol: :D
el rey del mambo
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11079
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:39 pm
2Fingers wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:41 am BC government and PHO removed the expiration dates from the restrictions.

Allegedly no announcement just quietly done in advance of the announcement that is supposed to come this week (today I think).

Politicians are the scum of the earth.
My understanding that just recently if you visit the hospital for an event and test positive for Covid you show up as a Covid patient. Not for the fact that you had a heart attack or something else.

I thought they were doing this before but is it recent and 1 reason why the # in hospital increased significantly over the past week?
If anyone who visits the hospital and is found have COVID is included in the covid hospitalization stats, wouldn't we have a hell of a lot more than 895 of them?
In a single day? No, I don't think so. They only test admissions and Covid-related symptoms (to my knowledge), not every walk-in ER visit.

800+ admissions in a single day.....but only 4 of them ICU.

I'd love to see how many of those 800 admissions are incidental findings. Meaning admitted with Covid not because of Covid.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11079
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Meds »

Well, we're seeing some good things finally.....

The UK has announced that they will drop the mask mandates as well as vaccine mandates.

Starbucks has announced that in light of SCOTUS ruling they will drop mandatory vaccination for employees.

A friend told me he watched a news report last night that stated that Israel is also dropping their vaccine passport because their studies have shown that further boosters do not provide any sort of increased immunity. I'm having trouble find that report myself though.....
User avatar
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3700
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:04 am

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:10 am
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:39 pm
2Fingers wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:41 am BC government and PHO removed the expiration dates from the restrictions.

Allegedly no announcement just quietly done in advance of the announcement that is supposed to come this week (today I think).

Politicians are the scum of the earth.
My understanding that just recently if you visit the hospital for an event and test positive for Covid you show up as a Covid patient. Not for the fact that you had a heart attack or something else.

I thought they were doing this before but is it recent and 1 reason why the # in hospital increased significantly over the past week?
If anyone who visits the hospital and is found have COVID is included in the covid hospitalization stats, wouldn't we have a hell of a lot more than 895 of them?
In a single day? No, I don't think so. They only test admissions and Covid-related symptoms (to my knowledge), not every walk-in ER visit.

800+ admissions in a single day.....but only 4 of them ICU.

I'd love to see how many of those 800 admissions are incidental findings. Meaning admitted with Covid not because of Covid.
It's not 800+ admissions in a single day. That's the total current hospitalisations out of all cases.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 12541
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Cornuck »

Some stats from Nebraska - but I think that overall they're a good indicator for any area. Vaccines help keep people out of hospitals. Booster shots help that even more.

It would also imply that vaccines lose their effectiveness over time, and that boosters will help with that.

Image
Enhanced scurry is my superpower.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11079
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:23 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:10 am
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:39 pm
2Fingers wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:41 am BC government and PHO removed the expiration dates from the restrictions.

Allegedly no announcement just quietly done in advance of the announcement that is supposed to come this week (today I think).

Politicians are the scum of the earth.
My understanding that just recently if you visit the hospital for an event and test positive for Covid you show up as a Covid patient. Not for the fact that you had a heart attack or something else.

I thought they were doing this before but is it recent and 1 reason why the # in hospital increased significantly over the past week?
If anyone who visits the hospital and is found have COVID is included in the covid hospitalization stats, wouldn't we have a hell of a lot more than 895 of them?
In a single day? No, I don't think so. They only test admissions and Covid-related symptoms (to my knowledge), not every walk-in ER visit.

800+ admissions in a single day.....but only 4 of them ICU.

I'd love to see how many of those 800 admissions are incidental findings. Meaning admitted with Covid not because of Covid.
It's not 800+ admissions in a single day. That's the total current hospitalisations out of all cases.
That makes it even more believable then.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11079
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:42 am Some stats from Nebraska - but I think that overall they're a good indicator for any area. Vaccines help keep people out of hospitals. Booster shots help that even more.

It would also imply that vaccines lose their effectiveness over time, and that boosters will help with that.

Image
The head of immunology at Tel Aviv University would tend to disagree with you regarding the vaccines and omicron.

This is an exceptional read.....and it's not written by a crackpot conspiracy theorist.

https://swprs.org/professor-ehud-qimron ... t-failure/

Also.....

CYRILLE COHEN, HEAD OF IMMUNOLOGY, BAR ILAN UNIVERSITY: Yes, I tend to think so, even if the omicron actually is causing a lot of, you know, breakthrough -- not breakthrough infection, but reinfections, you know, people that were vaccinated and you know, secondary infections, et cetera et cetera, we have to take into account that still, the virus is better at immunizing than the vaccine.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 12541
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:59 am
Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:42 am Some stats from Nebraska - but I think that overall they're a good indicator for any area. Vaccines help keep people out of hospitals. Booster shots help that even more.
It would also imply that vaccines lose their effectiveness over time, and that boosters will help with that.
The head of immunology at Tel Aviv University would tend to disagree with you regarding the vaccines and omicron.
This is an exceptional read.....and it's not written by a crackpot conspiracy theorist.
https://swprs.org/professor-ehud-qimron ... t-failure/

Also.....

CYRILLE COHEN, HEAD OF IMMUNOLOGY, BAR ILAN UNIVERSITY: Yes, I tend to think so, even if the omicron actually is causing a lot of, you know, breakthrough -- not breakthrough infection, but reinfections, you know, people that were vaccinated and you know, secondary infections, et cetera et cetera, we have to take into account that still, the virus is better at immunizing than the vaccine.
The thing I keep wondering when I read these kind of articles, is "what would YOU have done?" Qimron is criticizing the steps taken, but seems to offer nothing other than let people get infected, as it provides better protection than vaccines. For the US, that's 850k people that have died, and didn't get the chance to build up resistance. So did the government(s) try various policies to save lives or was it a "lust for power, budgets and control." as Qimron states?

Since people can't follow simple ideas like masking and social distancing on their own (especially down here), then the governments felt more rules were needed.

It's a no win situation for everyone. The government can't control things like this - so they look inept / corrupt / evil. The public has conflicted news and opinions to go on, so they make their own rules and some of them die or lose family members. The scientists try to come up with plans to limit the destruction the virus brought, and by changing plans mid-course, they look inept - while just making adjustments.

In my opinion, it's been a shit show from day one. As soon as it became a 'political' topic, we knew it was going be a dumpster fire of responses around the world. Maybe it will never be contained. Maybe we'll just get used to people dying. Maybe it will mutate to something worse - or better. Who the fuck knows?

For now, I feel safer with the vaccine, (I'd rather not risk my life to get 'natural' resistance). I'll wear a mask in crowded stores and do my best to continue avoiding people (that's the easy part).
Enhanced scurry is my superpower.
User avatar
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3700
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:04 am

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 5thhorseman »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:23 am For now, I feel safer with the vaccine, (I'd rather not risk my life to get 'natural' resistance). I'll wear a mask in crowded stores and do my best to continue avoiding people (that's the easy part).
Or, we feel safer with the vaccine, because when we eventually get Omicron (as we're told we all will) we won't be hospitalised plus we'll get the 'natural' resistance conferred by having been infected.

Sounds like a win-win.
User avatar
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3700
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:04 am

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:21 am
5thhorseman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:23 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:10 am
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:39 pm
2Fingers wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:41 am BC government and PHO removed the expiration dates from the restrictions.

Allegedly no announcement just quietly done in advance of the announcement that is supposed to come this week (today I think).

Politicians are the scum of the earth.
My understanding that just recently if you visit the hospital for an event and test positive for Covid you show up as a Covid patient. Not for the fact that you had a heart attack or something else.

I thought they were doing this before but is it recent and 1 reason why the # in hospital increased significantly over the past week?
If anyone who visits the hospital and is found have COVID is included in the covid hospitalization stats, wouldn't we have a hell of a lot more than 895 of them?
In a single day? No, I don't think so. They only test admissions and Covid-related symptoms (to my knowledge), not every walk-in ER visit.

800+ admissions in a single day.....but only 4 of them ICU.

I'd love to see how many of those 800 admissions are incidental findings. Meaning admitted with Covid not because of Covid.
It's not 800+ admissions in a single day. That's the total current hospitalisations out of all cases.
That makes it even more believable then.
So you think that most of the 895 people currently in hospital for covid are actually there for something else, but just happen to have covid?

So the actual hospitalisation rate for covid is less than 895? How about the number in ICU for covid? Do you think that's actually 115 or are most of those in ICU for something else?

Just asking.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 13846
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by SKYO »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:42 am Some stats from Nebraska - but I think that overall they're a good indicator for any area. Vaccines help keep people out of hospitals. Booster shots help that even more.

It would also imply that vaccines lose their effectiveness over time, and that boosters will help with that.

Image
Yup, heard that as well, unvaxxed people typically end up in worse shape and more into ICU versus people have been vaxxed as their bodies have some built up immunity to help fight off the covid infection quicker and better.
Time to move some pieces to retool for 2024 contending.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11079
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:23 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:59 am
Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:42 am Some stats from Nebraska - but I think that overall they're a good indicator for any area. Vaccines help keep people out of hospitals. Booster shots help that even more.
It would also imply that vaccines lose their effectiveness over time, and that boosters will help with that.
The head of immunology at Tel Aviv University would tend to disagree with you regarding the vaccines and omicron.
This is an exceptional read.....and it's not written by a crackpot conspiracy theorist.
https://swprs.org/professor-ehud-qimron ... t-failure/

Also.....

CYRILLE COHEN, HEAD OF IMMUNOLOGY, BAR ILAN UNIVERSITY: Yes, I tend to think so, even if the omicron actually is causing a lot of, you know, breakthrough -- not breakthrough infection, but reinfections, you know, people that were vaccinated and you know, secondary infections, et cetera et cetera, we have to take into account that still, the virus is better at immunizing than the vaccine.

Since people can't follow simple ideas like masking and social distancing on their own (especially down here), then the governments felt more rules were needed.
Biden's own Covid advisor has said publicly that masking doesn't work. So when you say people can't follow the simple idea, it's because they have heard from day one (from informed people) that the masks don't work, and they have watched the government squash those people and try to enforce the masks.....which don't work but give the sheeple the impression that they are doing something about it.
It's a no win situation for everyone. The government can't control things like this - so they look inept / corrupt / evil.
This is exactly it. They can't control it, but they are trying to do so with means that actually do more damage. It would be like having a brother who is a NASA astronaut that gets stranded on the space station and saying your will sell your house and squander your savings and children's inheritance by using the money to build a spaceship out of the scrap parts of some vintage farm tractors and go rescue him.....you look like an idiot, you ruin your own wealth and sabotage your family's future to do something that is impossible to do. Why did you do it? Because otherwise it would look like you didn't try.....which is a stupid reason.
In my opinion, it's been a shit show from day one. As soon as it became a 'political' topic, we knew it was going be a dumpster fire of responses around the world. Maybe it will never be contained. Maybe we'll just get used to people dying. Maybe it will mutate to something worse - or better. Who the fuck knows?
Because the people making decisions are either corrupt and trying to walkout a master plan, or they are inept fools with inflated egos that come from their title rather than their actual accomplishments and knowledge. I'm leaning towards the latter at this point because only a complete fool would stay the current course which is eroding public trust and opinion.....although there is a degree of corruption in there due to the economics of it all for some individuals.
For now, I feel safer with the vaccine, (I'd rather not risk my life to get 'natural' resistance). I'll wear a mask in crowded stores and do my best to continue avoiding people (that's the easy part).
Well unless you are over 60 the risk was very very low.....in fact you take an almost equal risk just being in a room with someone with influenza. Risk is part of life, and we assume these risks every day with what we consider to be commonplace. Covid was new. So we were/are scared of the unknown.

So take your pick, either inept or conspiring. Nothing else explains the throwing aside of scientifically designed, modern, response plans, to instead simply run haphazard like this.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11079
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:48 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:21 am
5thhorseman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:23 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:10 am
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:39 pm
2Fingers wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:41 am BC government and PHO removed the expiration dates from the restrictions.

Allegedly no announcement just quietly done in advance of the announcement that is supposed to come this week (today I think).

Politicians are the scum of the earth.
My understanding that just recently if you visit the hospital for an event and test positive for Covid you show up as a Covid patient. Not for the fact that you had a heart attack or something else.

I thought they were doing this before but is it recent and 1 reason why the # in hospital increased significantly over the past week?
If anyone who visits the hospital and is found have COVID is included in the covid hospitalization stats, wouldn't we have a hell of a lot more than 895 of them?
In a single day? No, I don't think so. They only test admissions and Covid-related symptoms (to my knowledge), not every walk-in ER visit.

800+ admissions in a single day.....but only 4 of them ICU.

I'd love to see how many of those 800 admissions are incidental findings. Meaning admitted with Covid not because of Covid.
It's not 800+ admissions in a single day. That's the total current hospitalisations out of all cases.
That makes it even more believable then.
So you think that most of the 895 people currently in hospital for covid are actually there for something else, but just happen to have covid?

So the actual hospitalisation rate for covid is less than 895? How about the number in ICU for covid? Do you think that's actually 115 or are most of those in ICU for something else?

Just asking.
I don't actually know. That's why I said I'd love to see those numbers here.

The UK admitted weeks ago that 70% of their Covid hospitalizations were incidental findings.....in other words hospitalized for something else and found to have Covid.

Smoke and mirrors man.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 12541
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:13 am Biden's own Covid advisor has said publicly that masking doesn't work.

Well unless you are over 60 the risk was very very low.....in fact you take an almost equal risk just being in a room with someone with influenza. Risk is part of life, and we assume these risks every day with what we consider to be commonplace. Covid was new. So we were/are scared of the unknown.
Haven't seen the one about masks not working.

Since I'm over 60 and have some health issues to deal with, and I feel that Covid is worse than the flu, I'll take precautions. On the plus side, I haven' been sick since this whole thing started. ;)
Enhanced scurry is my superpower.
User avatar
donlever
CC Legend
Posts: 6427
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by donlever »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:38 am Since I'm over 60 and have some health issues to deal with, and I feel that Covid is worse than the flu, I'll take precautions. On the plus side, I haven' been sick since this whole thing started. ;)
I'm off the Covid debate wagon because it's pretty much a consistent cycle of the same......

...but...

...your last sentence is interesting.

Same for me...which makes sense because I rarely liaise in close proximity to human beings and when I do it is by the "Bonny Henry" rule book.

Also...

....it is the exact same phenomenon with my staff.

Masks (be they as they may in terms of validity), distancing, hand washing, hyper cleaning of components used (phones, keyboards, door handles, Corporate vehicles et al) and lo and behold sick days were minimal over the past 2 years.

Who woulda thunk eh?

:wink:
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
Post Reply