We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by UWSaint »

Topper wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:24 pm UW, BC has been a poster child for suppressing the spread of the virus. Possibly too well.
Thanks For putting the time into that, Topper. Sounds like you’ve got a straight shooter and a relatively compliant populace.

My point on ”not science” was mostly about extrapolation in my head; I probably shouldn’t have used the distancing examples — though there is some wiggle there. I get the significance of distancing; it is actually quite strange that the US has been fixated on the mask. Part of that is media and politics; masks are symbols — which is silly. Most of that is willful cherry picking — that masks are redundant if distancing is followed doesn’t make masks useless (why the hell else would health care workers wear them before they were a matter of politics) and just because there are situations where they are useful doesn’t mean someone’s a knuckle dragger for not wearing them in situations where they are unnecessary.

Curious, Why do you think that too much emphasis has been based on fatalities?

As for working too well, I think that might be true in places performing worse on a direct case measure as well as those performing well (if that makes sense). Put differently, I am not sure the decreased cases have been worth the costs, and if the whole world had adopted the Swedish approach, it might have netted a better result. (Make no mistake, the costs of policies is enormous and that cost is in part health health trade offs, and by better result I do not mean fewer cases). But I am really curious about whether the costs were much different under the BC approach as compared with other places. it doesn’t sound like they necessarily are. If you are going to impose that kind of crushing hit to the economy and liberty, far better to be effective.
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

rats19 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:26 pm Very very well said UW and I thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts. There is nothing there I wish to argue 8-)

I’ll ask about Antifa, BLM and Black Panther thoughts if I might
Just Antifa, BLM, and Black Panther. Rats, I’d quadruple my last post if I wrote on those things. Perhaps I will eventually.... For now, let’s just say that Antifa are old fashioned anarchists whose actions are designed to create chaos. That cities like Portland have been confused by them is very troubling, and gives Antifa a bit of a Brownshirt effect — what you can’t (yet) do with the official controls of government (like suppress speech) you achieve by looking the other was when your paramilitary hooligans range free of law and order.

BLM is ... well it would take a post of 10,000 words. But the tease is: what happens when someone simply denies the existence of objective reality and universality. Answer: an infallible subjective worldview impervious to reason, data, evidence — criticism..... but that’s just the theory of it all; the real world consequences are potentially revolutionary.
Hono_rary Canadian
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:16 pm
rats19 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:26 pm Very very well said UW and I thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts. There is nothing there I wish to argue 8-)

I’ll ask about Antifa, BLM and Black Panther thoughts if I might
Just Antifa, BLM, and Black Panther. Rats, I’d quadruple my last post if I wrote on those things. Perhaps I will eventually.... For now, let’s just say that Antifa are old fashioned anarchists whose actions are designed to create chaos. That cities like Portland have been confused by them is very troubling, and gives Antifa a bit of a Brownshirt effect — what you can’t (yet) do with the official controls of government (like suppress speech) you achieve by looking the other was when your paramilitary hooligans range free of law and order.

BLM is ... well it would take a post of 10,000 words. But the tease is: what happens when someone simply denies the existence of objective reality and universality. Answer: an infallible subjective worldview impervious to reason, data, evidence — criticism..... but that’s just the theory of it all; the real world consequences are potentially revolutionary.
Yah, sorry...

One at at time at Your convenience of course.. :mex:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

UW, deaths are skewed to the most vulnerable section of the population, they are not a uniform indicator. In BC, it is the over 60 population and tilted towards men.

The only issue with "working too well" is there is little in the way of an effective throttle to controllably increase or slow the rate of spread.

An interesting discussion in today's update was Dr Henry's comments on the situation in the US. Her biggest concern is with the depth of spread through the community rather than in spot outbreaks linked to a centre. Reigning that in will not be easy, especially with a populous hell bent on the individual over the community.

She also ragged the 200+ "scientists" and their letter to WHO with an effective discussion of droplet size that carries and supports the virus and proximally to infected people. WHO has a good article on masks that summarize current papers.

Everything I've read supporting widespread community mask use relies on anecdote. It really comes down to how close and for how long the exposure is.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Kung Flu Virus

“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This just in - Kung Flu was developed in a lab in Wuhan and then shipped to America

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

“It’s a bible”

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What’s happening to white people? :lol:

Karen’s gone wild compilation

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Trump partying with his buddy Jeffrey Epstein the Pedophile

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

UW - your comment below seems contradictory from where we are hearing and seeing. I agree that no one was prepared to handle so many people needing ventilators and beds but the current surges seems to be pushing the health care to their limits in several regions. Also when you say the healthcare infrastructure is absolutely handling it, from what stance do you think this is true? Again reading what is available in several regions the HC professionals are working non stop (6 - 7 days a week) dealing with sick people, that does not seem like it is absolutely being handled. I have not reviewed all the data state by state and only going by what is being reported out so I take that with a grain of salt.
The biggest "mistake" made in public policy is probably having shifting definitions (or no clear vision) of what is the goal. Initially, the goal was "flatten the curve." This goal I think made all kinds of sense. The theory is don't overwhelm the health infrastructure -- give us time to manufacture masks and the like, give us time to explore treatments (and down the line vaccines). Note that health care infrastructure isn't just beds -- it is something that can be expanded relatively quickly (more protective equipment, more ventilators, more knowledge about treatment courses, when hospitalization helps and when it doesn't, etc.) ("Infrastructure" is a poor term to have become popularized in this regard). I think by and large, the US response has been very effective *if this were the goal." The early spikes (New York, New Jersey, for example) experienced large failures because they were on the front of the curve before that infrastructure was expanded and while more was unknown about the disease. There's talks of "surges" nowadays, but honestly, the healthcare infrastructure is absolutely handling it
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

My, my. That tear gas is effective. Thanks, Chef.
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

2Fingers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:28 am UW - your comment below seems contradictory from where we are hearing and seeing. I agree that no one was prepared to handle so many people needing ventilators and beds but the current surges seems to be pushing the health care to their limits in several regions. Also when you say the healthcare infrastructure is absolutely handling it, from what stance do you think this is true? Again reading what is available in several regions the HC professionals are working non stop (6 - 7 days a week) dealing with sick people, that does not seem like it is absolutely being handled. I have not reviewed all the data state by state and only going by what is being reported out so I take that with a grain of salt.
The biggest "mistake" made in public policy is probably having shifting definitions (or no clear vision) of what is the goal. Initially, the goal was "flatten the curve." This goal I think made all kinds of sense. The theory is don't overwhelm the health infrastructure -- give us time to manufacture masks and the like, give us time to explore treatments (and down the line vaccines). Note that health care infrastructure isn't just beds -- it is something that can be expanded relatively quickly (more protective equipment, more ventilators, more knowledge about treatment courses, when hospitalization helps and when it doesn't, etc.) ("Infrastructure" is a poor term to have become popularized in this regard). I think by and large, the US response has been very effective *if this were the goal." The early spikes (New York, New Jersey, for example) experienced large failures because they were on the front of the curve before that infrastructure was expanded and while more was unknown about the disease. There's talks of "surges" nowadays, but honestly, the healthcare infrastructure is absolutely handling it
I don't doubt that in some places for a finite period of time health care professionals are pulling much-longer-than-usual hours, but shifts are being covered. Up until recently, residents pulled 80+ hour weeks without a crisis (on the theory that it exposure to everything was the best training model for new doctors). More generally, I don't know of a profession that operates on deadlines or crisis that doesn't have lots of time where workers don't put in lots of extra time when needed. Systems are built for this -- its part of American labor efficiency (which I understand is criticized), staff for normal operations and burden the employees in extraordinary conditions. (Or, in the case of companies like Tesla, create internally imposed conditions that feel like a life and death struggle....) There have been several times in my career I haven't taken a day off for 30-day stretches or where getting one day off in a week felt like relief.

Most recent news from those hardest hit places (Austin; Houston) in the recent "surge" is that "people are worried" that hospital capacity in those areas *could* reach capacity *in two weeks.* This is exactly the kind of breathless reporting that makes problems out to appear much worse than they are (or likely will be). Could? How likely? Based on what assumptions? How many new cases is that assuming; what's the basis for that assumption; what's the basis for assuming those cases turn into hospitalizations, etc. Beyond that, what if Austin or Houston runs out of beds. How much capacity exists nearby (e.g., San Antonio; Dallas --- really big metro areas not so far away) that could handle patients? And these are the WORST hit places from this surge.

As far as combing through state by state data, don't bother -- or at least do so with a recognition that statistics mean very little.
Hono_rary Canadian
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

2fingers slash reefer2 watches cnn UW so ... yah
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Topper wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:03 pm UW, deaths are skewed to the most vulnerable section of the population, they are not a uniform indicator. In BC, it is the over 60 population and tilted towards men.
Right, but deaths are the things that we want to avoid and presumably are the special value thing that we are trying to avoid. How the disease spreads, its prevalence, etc., does not correlate on an even ratio for certain, on that we agree. (If there's a 2% fatality rate, that doesn't mean we can expect 2 people to die when 100 new cases are reported -- the demos on those 100 infected people (age, baseline health condition, sex, etc.) as well as the symptoms being presented (if any) make an enormous difference.

Every other stat other than death is simple to quantify. Its resources spent on treatment and time out of work. You don't shut down economies because people might be taken out of the economy or strain the economy if they get sick..... You shut down economies if the cost in lives is too high.
Topper wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:03 pm An interesting discussion in today's update was Dr Henry's comments on the situation in the US. Her biggest concern is with the depth of spread through the community rather than in spot outbreaks linked to a centre. Reigning that in will not be easy, especially with a populous hell bent on the individual over the community.
I don't disagree with this observation, though I suspect she sees the populous hell bent on the individual over the community as a bug, not a feature, whereas I generally see it as a reverse. I do think that Americans tend to be more individualistic, less compliant with authority, than other societies. I think this is on balance more good than bad, but there's no doubt that there are some contexts where this trait doesn't serve us well.

Beyond that, while Americans are more individualistic historically, they absolutely bind together when facing external threats and (until recently) existential threats. Moreover, the individual-community dynamic is not a dichotomy; how is it that Americans are simultaneously more individualistic than most nations and more patriotic/nationalistic than most nations? But it *is* different with this threat. It has become political -- act stupid cautious if you are on the left, where masks in your car driving alone, and call out people for not following perceived rules that don't apply in the context (safety culture and all), act stupid risky if you are on the right. Behavior becomes less a function of common sense of best practices in the specific context to protect selves and others and more virtue signalling -- both sides.

What' more, American individualism -- like all individualism -- can come in many variants. And the dangerous one (for today's situation) is narcissism, where the exercise of rights are cleaved from personal responsibility. And for those who don't have that anti-authority gene and who rely on rules to govern their behavior, they are as bad as the pure narcissists. The first group flaunts rules because they don't regard them and they are the center of the universe, the second stop acting with common sense when restrictions are eased, believing they wouldn't be eased if it weren't "okay" to behave a certain way. These two groups, generally younger, think its a perfectly good idea to cram into a bar because either (narcissist, 1) if I want to party, I'm gonna party! or (person whose mom cut their meat at age 12 but who got a 1450 on the SAT, 2) if the state hasn't closed it down, it must be okay!
Last edited by UWSaint on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hono_rary Canadian