We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:51 pm Think of the poverty reduction.
Quite, how long until those fucking Swedes decide euthanasia of everyone over 70 is best for the economy?

We've also seen at least one of them rejoice over the news of Boris Johnson and Yaakov Litzman contracting COVID.

The phrases "godless heathens", "goosestepping Nazis" and "bloodthirsty ghouls" spring to mind...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Haven’t seen anyone here rejoicing over Boris being in intensive care. :shrug:

Litzman is another story. His claim that corona is God’s punishment for homosexuality, makes his own diagnosis... uhm... interesting.

Not that there is anything wrong with it. :look:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Per wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:02 pm Haven’t seen anyone here rejoicing over Boris being in intensive care. :shrug:
Not sure how things are in Sweden, but most people over here don't rejoice in the suffering of others. :/
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:49 pm
*Unless you guys change direction and join the rest of the developed world in adopting an isolationist approach of course
Hey, we adopted an isolationist approach centuries ago. That’s why our authorities basically just had to go ”uhm, just keep doing what you’re doing. That should work.”

We’ re not as toucy feely as the Latinos and we don’t hang out in pubs like the Brits.
We like to keep our distance. You've seen our ridiculous two metre gap lines at the bus stops.

Just took the dog for a two km walk through our neighbourhood. Didn’t see a living soul (unless you count rabbits). One car drove by. So what’s the use of a lockdown?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:08 pm
Per wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:02 pm Haven’t seen anyone here rejoicing over Boris being in intensive care. :shrug:
Not sure how things are in Sweden, but most people over here don't rejoice in the suffering of others. :/
Well, wasn’t that what I said?

Who has rejoiced over Boris being in intensive care? I haven’t. :|

And I definitely think what happened to Steve Irwin was terrible.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Meet the world’s most powerful doctor: Bill Gates

https://www.politico.eu/article/bill-ga ... ul-doctor/
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:14 pmSo what’s the use of a lockdown?
That's how you don't end up with 47 deaths per million

:scowl:
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:02 pm Litzman is another story. His claim that corona is God’s punishment for homosexuality, makes his own diagnosis... uhm... interesting.

Not that there is anything wrong with it. :look:
Except for the inconvenient fact he never said that. :scowl:

https://www.israellycool.com/2020/04/07 ... sexuality/
Pink News Falsely Claims Israeli Health Minister Called Coronavirus a Punishment for Homosexuality

Today, Lily Wakefield from PinkNews reported that Israeli health minister Yaakov Litzman, who had claimed coronavirus was divine punishment for homosexuality, had tested positive for COVID-19.

Except Litzman never said such a thing. The article was later amended to claim he thinks “all LGBT+ people are sinners” – which loses a bit of the “karma’s a bitch” tone. This paragraph was also added to the end of the article:

An earlier version of this article referenced two inaccurate reports regarding Yaakov Litzman blaming the coronavirus pandemic on homosexuality. This has since been corrected.

But as you can see, the report’s URL was not changed, and it still suggests Litzman connected coronavirus to punishment for homosexuality.
Pinkos spreading lies and propaganda, some things never change wot. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:16 pm
Cornuck wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:08 pm
Well, wasn’t that what I said?

Who has rejoiced over Boris being in intensive care? I haven’t. :|

And I definitely think what happened to Steve Irwin was terrible.
Rejoicing in the suffering of others and pretending to be rejoicing in the death of others... are two different things. :drink:

(Pauser needed an ever so slight push over the edge)

BTW this is the post some may have taken as you rejoicing in Boris' suffering:
Per wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:21 pm Boris Johnson taken to hospital.

How’s Trump doing? :mex:
Perhaps something was lost in translation? :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:43 pm
Per wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:16 pm
Haven’t seen anyone here rejoicing over Boris being in intensive care. :shrug:
Cornuck wrote: Not sure how things are in Sweden, but most people over here don't rejoice in the suffering of others. :/
Perhaps something was lost in translation? :wink:
I'll got with 'lost in translation' for now - it was the 'shrug' that threw me off.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:42 pm Meet the world’s most powerful doctor: Bill Gates

https://www.politico.eu/article/bill-ga ... ul-doctor/
Microsoft does have extensive experience with viruses.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:40 pm
Per wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:02 pm Litzman is another story. His claim that corona is God’s punishment for homosexuality, makes his own diagnosis... uhm... interesting.
Except for the inconvenient fact he never said that. :scowl:

https://www.israellycool.com/2020/04/07 ... sexuality/
Pink News Falsely Claims Israeli Health Minister Called Coronavirus a Punishment for Homosexuality
OK... in that case, I’m sorry. :(

I got fooled by a fake article to believe he had said that, and thus thought him getting sick was karma.
Should have checked the validity before spreading the rumour. My bad.

Double checking the article I linked to (which wasn’t pink news) they have now retracted the statement, so I guess they got fooled too.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Swedish corona patients admitted to intensive care:

I think the curve has flattened! :)
And we haven’t gone over capacity yet. :thumbs:

Deaths are still climbing somewhat, but admission to the ICU is earlier, so if that curve is flattening, deaths should too.

Too early to bring out the champagne, but it is a very promising sign.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Not sure about the credentials of the National Review, but here is their take on how Sweden is doing:
Lots of people are rushing to discredit Sweden’s approach, which relies more on calibrated precautions and isolating only the most vulnerable than on imposing a full lockdown. While gatherings of more than 50 people are prohibited and high schools and colleges are closed, Sweden has kept its borders open as well as its preschools, grade schools, bars, restaurants, parks, and shops.

President Trump has no use for Sweden’s nuanced approach. Last Wednesday, he smeared it in a spectacular fashion by saying he’d heard that Sweden “gave it a shot, and they saw things that were really frightening, and they went immediately to shutting down the country.” He and the public-health experts who told him this were wrong on both counts and would do better to question their approach. Johan Giesecke, Sweden’s former chief epidemiologist and now adviser to the Swedish Health Agency, says that other nations “have taken political, unconsidered actions” that are not justified by the facts.

In the rush to lock down nations and, as a result, crater their economies, no one has addressed this simple yet critical question: How do we know social-isolation controls actually work? And even if they do work for some infectious epidemics, do they work for COVID-19? And even if they work for this novel coronavirus, do they have to be implemented by a certain point in the epidemic? Or are they locking down the barn door after the horses are long gone?

In theory, less physical interaction might slow the rate of new infections. But without a good understanding of how long COVID-19 viral particles survive in air, in water, and on contact surfaces, even that is speculative. Without reliable information on what proportion of the population has already been exposed and successfully fought off the coronavirus, it’s worth questioning the value of social-isolation controls. It is possible that the fastest and safest way to “flatten the curve” is to allow young people to mix normally while requiring only the frail and sick to remain isolated.

This is, in fact, the first time we have quarantined healthy people rather than quarantining the sick and vulnerable. As Fredrik Erixon, the director of the European Centre for International Political Economy in Brussels, wrote in The Spectator (U.K.) last week: “The theory of lockdown, after all, is pretty niche, deeply illiberal — and, until now, untested. It’s not Sweden that’s conducting a mass experiment. It’s everyone else.”
https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/ ... omic-ruin/

Just want to add that I think many foreigners also misunderstand the Swedish approach. We do not have a lot of bans, except the no visits to homes for the elderly and no buffets at restaurant, (in fact, restaurants are only allowed to serve customers seated at tables, or sell takeout) but there are lots of recommendations.

There is a cultural context here; Swedes trust the government, and typically follow official recommendations.

Pretty much everyone I know, except those working in health care, are working from home. People avoid travelling. Stores are open, but you are supposed to stay 1.5 metres away from other customers, and our local store has yellow and black tape stripes 1.5 metres apart throughout all aisles to facilitate this distancing, and the cashier is wearing latex gloves and sits behind a plexi glass shield.

Restaurants have lost nearly all business. Sure, on a sunny day you can spot people sitting at an outdoor café, but all restaurant owners I've talked to (trying to eat more takeout now, to support them) have lost 70-80% of their business. Hotels in Stockholm typically have 90-100% occupancy during weekdays, and now they average 5%.

SAS and BRA have shut down all domestic flights, since there are too few passengers, except a few routes that the government demands have to be in service at least once a day, and which they pay to keep open.

No sports leagues are operating, albeit the Public Health Agency has asked that youth teams should continue to practice, but not play tournaments.

It's not business as usual, it's just that we're following recommendations rather than being forced to adher to rules.

We're not under lockdown, but we're still sitting at home. Yet if we feel for it, we can go for a walk, just remember to stay 1.5 metres away from other people. Which is easy. Sweden is sparsely populated.

I think a lot of the foreign media think that if we're not in a lockdown, we're not doing anything. But we are.
Last edited by Per on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.