We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Topper »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:05 pm
Topper wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:37 am Weird thing here are folks acting like they live on a small island. Gone is the welcoming community that relies on outsiders to support our economy. Xenophobia has firmly set in and I'm hating it.
I smell a Hypocrite
Our area was devastated by flooding a couple of years ago and everyone was begging for outsiders to come and help, now if they see a vehicle they don't recognize or, god forbid, has out province plates, they turn on them and run them out of town.

We're Canadians. It is the same reason I want pipelines built to the Pacific and the Atlantic.

Just make sure you stay the fuck off my lawn.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BCExpat wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:38 am
Cornuck wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:34 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:20 am Fuck ya same here. I'm setting up my greenhouse today and will be planting vegetables and weed right away.
Were going full amish
Good plan - It's just a matter of time until society implodes. It's on it's way down here.

Dr Fauci receives death threats because "he's part of the deep state".
A train engineer derails his train to try and take out the Mercy hospital ship because "it's part of the government takeover".

Just 2 examples of 'merica at it's best. I know you have similar-minded people up there, but not nearly in the numbers down here.
Time to go full out prepper. When shit hits the fan, it will be every man for himself. I'm not saying that's a good thing, it's just the way it will end up.
I'm with you BCEP. Ive got 7.62x49 ways to keep the raiding hordes off my property if they come a lurking...

On a related and tragic note, i suspect a trigger happy redneck put those 2 metis fellas down thinking they were theiving up by St Paul. They were out hunting moose and probably at worst were shooting close to a road

A sad reminder about what constitutes a target i reckon. Its not the zombie apocalypse just quite yet mr redneck
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:20 am
BCExpat wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:15 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:46 am Drug supplies from US not getting through causing a shortage on the streets. Crime in downtown VCR increase by 4%. Extra police will be out, more cameras being installed. I live in Strathcona and we are now being advised to not go out unless absolutely necessary. Muggings up. Break-ins up. The smokers in our complex are afraid to go out for a smoke as they are getting accosted. Wanted council to allow smoking on balconies until this is over. We said no.

Add to that that their panhandling revenue has decreased and well you have a lot of desperate people.

City now looking at how to get people off the streets, legally. DTE is a mess. I say put em up in the Hotel Vancouver or Pan Pacific.
I'm so glad I live in the country. The only down side is that if this lasts a long time, I may end up like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.
Fuck ya same here. I'm setting up my greenhouse today and will be planting vegetables and weed right away.

Were going full amish
A lot of people don't know about the Amish and their pot...
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

When you have clueless politicians running the show in the US, you know it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/we- ... ronavirus/

‘We Didn’t Know That Until the Last 24 Hours’: Georgia Gov. Says He Just Found Out People without Symptoms Can Spread Coronavirus

While announcing a statewide shelter-in-place order on Wednesday, Georgia governor Brian Kemp, a Republican, said that he had just been informed that asymptomatic individuals could spread the coronavirus.

The illness “is now transmitting before people see signs….Those individuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt [symptoms],” Kemp said at a press conference. “We didn’t know that until the last 24 hours.”

It has been widely known for months that the coronavirus can spread through asymptomatic transmission. However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently updated its guidelines for outbreak mitigation regarding asymptomatic transmission, leading Georgia health officials to change their projections for an outbreak in the state.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:15 pm When you have clueless politicians running the show in the US, you know it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/we- ... ronavirus/

‘We Didn’t Know That Until the Last 24 Hours’: Georgia Gov. Says He Just Found Out People without Symptoms Can Spread Coronavirus

While announcing a statewide shelter-in-place order on Wednesday, Georgia governor Brian Kemp, a Republican, said that he had just been informed that asymptomatic individuals could spread the coronavirus.

The illness “is now transmitting before people see signs….Those individuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt [symptoms],” Kemp said at a press conference. “We didn’t know that until the last 24 hours.”

It has been widely known for months that the coronavirus can spread through asymptomatic transmission. However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently updated its guidelines for outbreak mitigation regarding asymptomatic transmission, leading Georgia health officials to change their projections for an outbreak in the state.
Yet stories indicating the media surprise are on pg 1 of the CBC website.

Fucking morons.

I been very impressed the way BC politicians have stood back and let the pro's do their job. Now we need the media to do the same instead of trying to steer public discontent against the health professionals who know what they are doing.

Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think all the Canadian jurisdictions are doing a great job, even Ford in Ontario. I've been impressed with the whole lot, party affiliations aside. Other than the Liberals attempt at a power grab that is, and I am a liberal supporter. But even Trudeau's bedtime story manner has a calming affect and he distills confidence. Night and day from what we are seeing south of the border.

The Florida governor reluctantly issued a statewide stay at home order but then made it illegal for individual jurisdictions to have strong stay at home orders that the state issued one, reversing a lot of local policies. So now people can go to church again in Florida, and buy guns, but cant smoke pot or have an abortion.

Is anyone still alive in Sweden? How in the heck are they doing it and have the rest of us succumb to the fake liberal news?
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Noticed today a reporter from Bloomberg got a question in and doubted the validity of BC hospitalization data. Got slapped for it. Look for a US story on BC. Will it be a fluid piece on Dr Henry or a more critical look at how she has prepared and navigated is through.

No Wids, junior still comes across as a smug fuckwad.

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:04 pm Noticed today a reporter from Bloomberg got a question in and doubted the validity of BC hospitalization data. Got slapped for it. Look for a US story on BC. Will it be a fluid piece on Dr Henry or a more critical look at how she has prepared and navigated is through.

Can you elaborate on this Top?

I missed the briefing or was this in another interview?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:16 pm
Topper wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:04 pm Noticed today a reporter from Bloomberg got a question in and doubted the validity of BC hospitalization data. Got slapped for it. Look for a US story on BC. Will it be a fluid piece on Dr Henry or a more critical look at how she has prepared and navigated is through.

Can you elaborate on this Top?

I missed the briefing or was this in another interview?
Not much more to say. Dr Henry, gave her wry grin she gives all dumb questions and told her the data most certainly is valid then left it at that. Next question....

There was more ball busting of Trudidiot over how he's handling the cruise ship passengers coming in from Florida in the next day or two, but not as harshly as yesterday.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:42 pm Is anyone still alive in Sweden? How in the heck are they doing it and have the rest of us succumb to the fake liberal news?
https://www.rt.com/sport/484781-nhl-goa ... us-sweden/
'Fucking idiots!' NHL goalie Lehner fumes at Sweden's lack of Covid-19 lockdown as death toll in country soars

For Lehner, the problem was personal: "What is Sweden doing ??? Fucking idiots! My little sister goes to school and has a sick mother at home who probably has not coped with this disease. Wake up to hell!" the 28-year-old native of Gothenburg tweeted on Thursday.

Sweden has so far recorded a total 5,466 coronavirus cases which has resulted in 282 deaths from the disease. Although that number is far behind Italy, Spain and France, the continent's worst-hit nations, that number has almost doubled from 146 on March 31.

Despite criticism, Sweden’s public health agency director general, Johan Carlson, was quoted recently as saying the country’s approach to coronavirus was "the right one", and that the authorities “remain pretty confident it is the best way to stop the disease from spreading".

Typical fucking Swedes, thinking they're smarter than everyone else, when clearly they're not.

And of course they're letting the politicians make these calls, rather than the doctors.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/a ... -pandemic/
Why is Sweden staying open amid the coronavirus pandemic?

Not everyone is comfortable with the government’s go-slow approach. Last week 2,000 doctors and public-health experts signed an open letter calling on the government to go further. “We still have some time to react and suppress the virus,” the letter said. “Our nation should not be the exception in Europe."
Yeah, fucking Swedes...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^ Having said that, it's time...

____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:42 pm Is anyone still alive in Sweden?
Yeah, a handful at least. :mex:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/sweden/
https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.a ... el=7443540

But I can't believe they cancelled the hockey season before the relegation games. :evil:

Damn! Björklöven were set to be promoted back to the SHL after twenty long years in the desert, and then right as things were about to start they drop the curtains and say no teams will be demoted or promoted between leagues. :cry:

Modo, that also had a great shot at being promoted, has already lost at least five of their best players to SHL teams.
Björklöven has not had that much bad news yet regarding the roster so far, ours was a team with no real stars but no weak links either, but only about half the players are under contract for next season, and even if they are under contract, SHL teams can recruit them up till July 1st..... :mad:

My real concern is for Joe Cannata, who was outstanding in goal. It'd be fantastic if he returns nest season, but we still don't know.
The good news, I guess, is that teams and leagues everywhere are bleeding, so the money offers from others may not be way above what Björklöven can handle, and he and his wife really seemed to like it here.

https://www.hockeyallsvenskan.se/play/v ... autoplay=1
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:40 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:42 pm Is anyone still alive in Sweden? How in the heck are they doing it and have the rest of us succumb to the fake liberal news?
https://www.rt.com/sport/484781-nhl-goa ... us-sweden/
Right, Putin's foremost propaganda tool, RT, quotes a bipolar hockey goalie with a history of substance abuse, who clearly is an expert on epidemiology... :lol:

Strangelove wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:40 pm Typical fucking Swedes, thinking they're smarter than everyone else, when clearly they're not.
Do you have a source for that? :|

Strangelove wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:40 pm And of course they're letting the politicians make these calls, rather than the doctors.
Uhm... quite the opposite.

Whereas most countries let their politicians stake out the course, which often leads to grandstanding and attempts to show forcefulness, in Sweden the Public Health Agency is in charge, and decisions are made by Sweden's foremost epidemiologists.

Anders Tegnell, with the title "statsepidemiolog" (roughly "national epdemiologist") has explained that experience from other pandemics has shown that they can last for a very long time, eg three years of the Spanish Flu, and that it is not advisable to shut down society for such an extended time. He does not rule out an eventual lockdown, but states that it is too early at this point. Shutting down schools would force healthcare workers to stay at home to care for their perfectly healthy children rather than corona patients.

Sweden is aiming for a slow spread of the virus, to gain enough of a herd immunity to prevent that a second outbreak next winter will be worse than the first peak, while at the same time isolating risk groups to prevent them from being infected.

A recent study from Harvard seems to support this strategy, where a 20-40% slowdown in spread has a better long term efficiency than a 60% slowdown:
https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/hand ... sAllowed=y

We're aiming for the red or blue curves. A more efficient curb on the spread early on will give the green curve, which is better than the black one (no action taken) but not as good as the middle of the road options.

Here's the take by one of our foremost historians:
The policies of Sweden and the UK were almost identical at the outset, but the Swedish epidemiologists stuck to their guns and calculations when their British counterparts switched track. And the Swedish politicians follow their experts, to a tee.

The Swedish prime minister Stefan Löfven, social democrat, ex-union leader, ex-welder, made a speech on TV to the nation, a rare occurrence in this country, and came across as rather Churchillian, with the national flag behind him and on his lapel, talking about duty and sacrifice. His approval rating has almost doubled. At the same time, much of the political dissent has died down. There has even been talk about forming a grand coalition government — something not seen in Sweden since the second world war.

The more lenient Swedish restrictions feel like a bit of a gamble, but only time will tell if they actually work. We are back with the old adage: nobody knows what is going to happen, but afterwards everyone can explain it.
https://www.ft.com/content/b3512e92-74c ... d274e920ca
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Sweden has the right approach I can hear Trump now:

See I told you it was nothing. The fake news and the Democratic hoax to bring me down killed all those people and killed our economy. It was the best economy the world. Better than any President has ever had. I knew more the the experts because I am a very stable genius. I fired them all. I, and I alone, can rebuild the economy.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The US government today instructed 3M to cease exporting the N95 masks to Canada and Latin America.

Christ
If you need air...call it in