We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:11 pm Leaves country :( spent a few years in Quebec then decided it would be better to live in a province that more or less has its shit together.. six months before these fucking yahoos went and elected Doug Ford :lol:
Sorry to hear that Dave.

Speaking of bedtime, Peace Out young man! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:15 pm
mr perfect wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:43 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:16 pm
mr perfect wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:54 am The rest of the team, Hargraves included were Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
... and the Canucks crowd was the Magic Mirror.

Yep, Vancouver fans were known as the "Boo Birds" in those days.

Oh they let athletes know exactly how they felt, and it wasn't pretty!

That year they booed the fuck outta the Lions, the Canucks

... and even Team Canada in the Summit Series! :D

Were you a Boo Bird Mr Perfect?
No, I've never booed my teams. Disappointed, yes but not even boos from the safety of my living room.

I wasn't living in the Lower Mainland in those early years. We would come down during Christmas and summer holidays to take in a CFL and NHL game once a season. I saw my first NHL game live on January 1, 1973 when the Boston Bruins smoked the Canucks 8-2. It wasn't all that bad because I got to see the great Bobby Orr play and dominate the game with 6 assists. He was booed by the crowd. The fans were also on Dale Tallon's case, yelling at him to "Hit 'em with your purse" every time he was near a Bruin. You could tell he hated being here. After the season and his contract was up he threatened to jump to the WHA if he wasn't traded.

The Snow White and the Seven Dwarves was started by weird Al Davidson when Bud Poile went nuts and drafted a bunch of small players (Bobby Lalonde, Richard Lemieux), players about as tall as Davidson himself that Poile thought he could turn into Henri Richard and Yvan Cournoyer. The problem was they didn't have anywhere near that kind of talent and by letting the physical player go, the Canucks were run over and beat up by everyone. That team was definitely the worst in Canucks history. In my humble.
Lol, yeah y'gotta admit the brutally honest Canucks crowd had a lot of personality in those days! :lol:

The team, not so much.

I wasn't a Boo Bird either, just a young punk.

But I gotta say, the booing was, at times, deafening (especially at Empire Stadium).

I was trying to like the home team Canucks in those days, but it just wasn't working.

(loved the fans though!)

I've mentioned many times on these forums I was a staunch Broad Street Bullies fan back then.

They were like the polar opposite of the Canucks that season.

Just looked it up and Canucks won the season series vs the Leaves though.

All that really matters. :wink:
When we came to the Lower Mainland to spend Christmas with our relatives, the previous game the Canucks had played before the Bruins game was the 4-4 tie between Vancouver and the Flyers where the Flyers went into the stands. In July 1973 we moved to Kamloops and lived in the same complex as Flyers defence man Joe Watson, who was spending his summers in the 'loops. Watson was one of the players who had been charged with going into the stands. I went to his hockey school later that summer. Joe is one the greatest guys you'll ever meet. Treated young fans with great respect, always said hello to you and used to be great with parents. When the Flyers let him go in 1978 he was picked up by Colorado Rockies and he lasted 16 games before he busted up his leg badly and ended his career. It's too bad the Canucks didn't see fit to bring him in and let a player with two SC rings finish his career in his home province.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:37 pm There was the whipping boy phenomenon back then as well. Fans would center some lesser player on the roster out for special attention and just ride him mercilessly. Don Cherry was the first I recall getting this treatment and Dennis Kearns eventually came in for the treatment too when he his game started to fall off. They did this in Toronto as well. I guess it could have been imported from there, an Anglo Canadian thing. Vancouver fans were nasty back then, today they're forced to make do with getting the bile out of their system online and through media channels. Media itself has always been at the heart of this particular darkness.
Frank, you and I must be pretty close in age. The WHL Canucks were never treated that rudely (well except for Cherry). You must remember the Canucks were dicked around by the NHL in the first expansion draft because Stafford Smythe and David Molson didn't want to share HNIC revenue with another team. St Louis didn't even apply for a franchise but Jim Norris, who owned the Blackhawks, Red Wings, MSG and the Gahden in Bawston also owned the arena in StL. So they got a team and Vancouver didn't. When the second round of expansion came, the NHL tripled the cost for a team. The owners of Northwest Sports couldn't pay $6 mil for a franchise so they sold the team to Dollar Bill Wirtz's buddy, Tom Scallen. Scallen fired GM and head coach Joe Crozier along with assistant GM Punch Imlach and replaced them with Bud Poile and Hal Laycoe. Jim Robson said the two men didn't get along and that there was a power struggle going on between the two of them. Meanwhile Imlach and Crozier went to Buffalo and had the Sabres in the playoffs by 1973 while Scallen went to jail for ripping off the company that he owned 90% of. Maybe that's why Coliseum fans were so ornery, because of what could have been. Instead the Canucks fans got lousy ownership, lousy and bickering management, and an absolutely horse shit team on the ice while Buffalo with former Canucks management were making the playoffs.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

OK, back on topic. COVID is bad.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

mr perfect wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:53 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:37 pm There was the whipping boy phenomenon back then as well. Fans would center some lesser player on the roster out for special attention and just ride him mercilessly. Don Cherry was the first I recall getting this treatment and Dennis Kearns eventually came in for the treatment too when he his game started to fall off. They did this in Toronto as well. I guess it could have been imported from there, an Anglo Canadian thing. Vancouver fans were nasty back then, today they're forced to make do with getting the bile out of their system online and through media channels. Media itself has always been at the heart of this particular darkness.
Frank, you and I must be pretty close in age. The WHL Canucks were never treated that rudely (well except for Cherry). You must remember the Canucks were dicked around by the NHL in the first expansion draft because Stafford Smythe and David Molson didn't want to share HNIC revenue with another team. St Louis didn't even apply for a franchise but Jim Norris, who owned the Blackhawks, Red Wings, MSG and the Gahden in Bawston also owned the arena in StL. So they got a team and Vancouver didn't. When the second round of expansion came, the NHL tripled the cost for a team. The owners of Northwest Sports couldn't pay $6 mil for a franchise so they sold the team to Dollar Bill Wirtz's buddy, Tom Scallen. Scallen fired GM and head coach Joe Crozier along with assistant GM Punch Imlach and replaced them with Bud Poile and Hal Laycoe. Jim Robson said the two men didn't get along and that there was a power struggle going on between the two of them. Meanwhile Imlach and Crozier went to Buffalo and had the Sabres in the playoffs by 1973 while Scallen went to jail for ripping off the company that he owned 90% of. Maybe that's why Coliseum fans were so ornery, because of what could have been. Instead the Canucks fans got lousy ownership, lousy and bickering management, and an absolutely horse shit team on the ice while Buffalo with former Canucks management were making the playoffs.
Ah the salad days of our youth. Those were the days my friend :D

Folks around here were so miffed about getting stiffed by the Canadian owners they cut up their credit cards of HNIC main sponsor Esso. Remember the original owners bought the Calder Cup champion Rochester Amerks and merged the better half of that roster with the Silver Fox Phil Maloney and the boys so they could fill the new Coliseum and impress the NHL governors and that's how we wound up with back to back championships the last two years in the WHL. I used to listen to all the games on CKWX 1130 radio where Jim Robson worked his magic in the early days. I went to the odd game as well but mostly just listened on a little transistor radio in my bedroom growing up out in Crescent Beach.

Merging the two rosters didn't go smoothly at first either if you recall. It took them the first half of the season to really gel as a team and the media was the Vancouver media then as now. Very critical. They actually housed the team out here in Horseshoe Bay in the motel that's still here to this day just to get away from media scrutiny during the playoff run. Worked like a charm too.
Last edited by Megaterio Llamas on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Haha. Nice catch on the Frank Cannon avatar there too my friend.

We really are about the same vintage it seems :lol:

el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Norwegians calling a spade a spade:

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

dbr wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:37 pm Hey guys, what’s new? Everyone doing alright? Just checking in on the well-being of my elders in these troubled times :lol:
Pretty sure I have corona.

Read somewhere that half the people who have it don't show any symptoms, and then it dawned on me - my god! That's me! I have this. :shock:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

In a crisis like this, people are always looking for a goat.

In Wales, that's an easy task: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-52103967
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A suspected Covid-19 male patient is lying in bed in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. A young student female nurse appears and gives him a partial sponge bath.

"Nurse,"' he mumbles from behind the mask, "are my testicles black?"

Embarrassed, the young nurse replies, "I don't know, Sir. I'm only here to wash your upper body and feet."

He struggles to ask again, "Nurse, please check for me. Are my testicles black?"

Concerned that he might elevate his blood pressure and heart rate from worrying about his testicles, she overcomes her embarrassment and pulls back the covers. She raises his gown, holds his manhood in one hand and his testicles gently in the other. She looks very closely and says, "There's nothing wrong with them, Sir. They look fine."

The man slowly pulls off his oxygen mask, smiles at her, and says very slowly, "Thank you very much. That was wonderful. Now listen very, very, closely:
"Are - my - test - results - back?"
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

+1
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:33 pm Norwegians calling a spade a spade:

That's pure gold.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

mr perfect wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:57 pm OK, back on topic. COVID is bad.
Speaking as someone who now has first hand experience with this critter.....yes, it's bloody terrible. Hopefully I'll be home from the hospital tomorrow.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Glad you're on the road to recovery!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:51 pm
mr perfect wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:57 pm OK, back on topic. COVID is bad.
Speaking as someone who now has first hand experience with this critter.....yes, it's bloody terrible. Hopefully I'll be home from the hospital tomorrow.
Holy fuck! Glad yer on the mend buds.
If you need air...call it in