We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Hockey Widow »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:37 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:58 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:34 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:24 am Well I decided I'm going on my trip! Someone has to stand up to this virus. And the Canucks are not winning the Cup this year anyway :mrgreen:

Hey Per, I will be in Sweden!
Good for you. You can’t let fear dictate your life
Hey, be honest, we are ALL scared to death of Per! :scowl:

But seriously folks, if it were me I would postpone until such time as a vaccine is available.

And that wouldn't be a decision based on fear, but rather logic...
I have to add, HW are you out of your mind?
Maybe. But I figure everyone in Europe will be self isolating when I get there so I'll have the streets to myself.

Seriously, insurers won't pay anything unless the government declares a travel ban. So in the States Trump is banning non Americans from Schengen countries but not banning Americans from going to EU or returning home. So people are trying to cancel and the insures are saying we won't pay and tour operators say well we will give partial refunds and airlines saying we will reschedule etc. So the confusion for travellers right now is a serious one too. And yes we can say so what s a few thousand dollars when your health is at risk.

So I talked to my insurance and they said no ban on any country you are going to. Tour operator says we haven't cancelled so no refund. Airlines saying no refund but we will reschedule you. And then this Trump ban is only for 30 days my trip is 60 days out.

By the way, the ban is bogus and will do nothing. This foreign virus is already here and already wide spread. The lack of testing is keeping the numbers down. North America had 5 weeks to address this and they dropped the ball. Trump refused the offer from Germany for test kits cause it would make him look bad. Now he is blaming the Schengen zone countries for not doing enough because they have no borders. Its bullshit.

Its gonna get worse but maybe Trump is right. Lets not test it will only inflate the numbers right. Then it will run its course and he can say see I contained it. So am I going? As of today yes but I will monitor it closely and probably won't know definitively until end of April early May. It a rock and a hard place situation.

And I don't think I am any higher risk there than here. My main concern isn't getting sick and while I guess it should be my main concern is getting stranded in Europe. But if that happens I'll stay with Per. Seriously, I have friends all over EU and I've been in touch and have people I can reach out to while there if need be. But as I said I'll know more each week.

But I don't feel sorry for myself. It isn't about me. I can absorb a few financial hits and survive. I won't like it but I can survive it. I feel sorry for the thousands of people who will take a financial hit over this. If this outbreak started in Africa or the Middle East the world would have shut borders much sooner. But we are so dependent upon the Chinese economy we didn't want to disrupt that. The whole world should self quarantine for 2 weeks and be done with it!
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

My brother's leaving this weekend - the original plan was he and his friend going to Greece and Israel. His friend's flight through Italy was cancelled, but he re-routed. Then Israel banned visitors - so they're planning on 2 weeks in Greece (which could of course change before they leave).

His last trip in December to the Galapagos was postponed with turmoil in Ecuador. Not much luck, that guy.

I was planning to go to England next month - but decided not to. Just not worth even the minor risk for me.

Good luck Wids - and as long as you're in reasonable health, you should live to see another Canucks game.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:24 am Well I decided I'm going on my trip! Someone has to stand up to this virus. And the Canucks are not winning the Cup this year anyway :mrgreen:

But seriously folks, if it were me I would postpone until such time as a vaccine is available.

That might take a year or two though...
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Per wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:35 pm

That might take a year or two though...
And by then it will have mutated 100 times and the vaccine won't be effective, like the flu.
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:10 pm ^MMMMMMMMM.... handshakes.

https://www.nhl.com/sharks/news/update- ... 18989073=1
SAN JOSE, CA - Sharks Sports & Entertainment is today announcing an update to events scheduled at SAP Center at San Jose through April 1, 2020.

All three San Jose Sharks games (March 19 vs. Montreal, March 21 vs. Boston and March 29 vs. Arizona) will be played as scheduled at SAP Center but will be closed to the general public.
No doubt their final 2 home games in April will get the same treatment... if the NHL doesn't end up just cancelling the season.

(which wouldn't surprise me at this point)
As I posted in the Meanwhile thread, the remaining SHL regular season and qualification games will be played in front of empty stands. The playoffs will probably be postponed.

Players will still shake hands after games, but with their gloves on.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Hanks is perfect for the role. I'm predicting Oscar buzz.
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:02 pm Hanks is perfect for the role. I'm predicting Oscar buzz.
Life is like a box of chocolates...
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

;)

Scott Ritter
@RealScottRitter
·
26m
Well, now that you’ve exposed me to this, I’ll be joining you. Take away the British accents, and it could be the Trump White House in a nut shell...imagine Jared Kushner and Stephen Miller discussing the drafting of the President’s Coronavirus address to the nation...
Quote Tweet

MishaZand
@MishaZand
· 1h
Am I the only one watching this in loops once an hour?!?

https://twitter.com/RealScottRitter/sta ... 36833?s=20
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Tciso wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:52 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:45 pm In case you're not aware, the American Hospital Association's current best guess projection is for 480,000 deaths in the US. They're probably guessing on the high side to be safe, but still ...

https://www.businessinsider.com/present ... ons-2020-3
This might come across as morbid, but, do we get to vote on who is in that 480,000? Seriously. That number is out of whack with reality. It could happen, but, then again Ericksson could get traded straight up for a 1st rounder.
Not that unrealistic... There are some 300 million Merikins.
Say one third get infected. That's 100 million.
Then add the WHO suggested 3.4 % mortality rate and you already have 3.4 million dead. :shock:

If you instead say one in ten get infected, that's 30 million.
Use less than half the WHO mortality rate, 1.6 %, and there's your 480 000 casualties.

It's really a rather conservative estimate, but then, I guess Mike Pence is in charge, so... yeah... conservative. :drink:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I hear Doyle and his wife Rita have the coronavirus. Hang in there Doyle, and if Rita starts crying just say “crying! There’s no crying in slow pitch! Just lots of keg beer guzzling!”
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

And now Trump has banned all air travel from Europe (at least the Schengen area) to the USA.

Even for non-Muslims. :|

Maybe the in-laws were planning to come visit? :look:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Ok.. I have a redneck solution.

Only .0014 of people under 55 are dying from this. Put an age limit on the games for the fans, and only sell every other seat.

31 teams have about 17 games left. So we have a mass crowd at all the combines games of about 4.8 million.

6500 deaths.. tops.

So the question you all need to be asking yourself, is:

"Are 6500 deaths worth the price of my entertainment??"

(Keeping in mind/perspective, there were more alocohol-vehicle related deaths in North America last month than that)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

HW - I think you are wrong to go.

Although the risk is low there is still a risk and if your insurance does not cover you, you may be stuck with thousands or more in medical costs should you be infected bad enough to warrant hospital stay. Also being a non citizen you would be low on the priority list should you need a bed or anything else.

It is not worth the risk for this trip and I would put it off for another year.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Maybe every 3rd seat?

How about just the box seats?

Can the roar of the crowd be hear through a hazmat suit?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."