FIFA World Cup 2018

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by 2Fingers »

Aaronp18 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:38 am
Topper wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:34 am Our rural BC soccer assoc is steadfast in no compete soccer. No goalies or score keeping until U11. But when my son played, on the drive home he told me the score and who scored every goal for both teams. Bloody useless.

He now races bicycles and because of a similar non compete at our local track, we're in Spokane 2 or 3 times a week (2.5hr drive each way - got in just past 11 last night). Trophies for 1st to 3rd at the races.
Yeah the non-compete shit is ridiculous. The kids know! Good parents and coaches teach their kids how to lose and how to win. It's an integral part of growing up, so many young adults these days simply expect to be successful no matter what.

Life is a competition. Learn to excel and learn to bounce back after defeat!
Just chatting about that and something as simple as sports day, remember when you received ribbons? Now there is little to no running or other events and zero ribbons.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

My kid's school doesn't even have a sports day for grades 1-3, instead they take them to the playground in City Park for the afternoon. LOL
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:31 pm My kid's school doesn't even have a sports day for grades 1-3, instead they take them to the playground in City Park for the afternoon. LOL
Wow - since when it is bad to praise kids who are born athletes, we talk about kids doing well in school, giving them certificates for B or A average but we don't praise people who can run fast. How about no more valedictorian speeches at graduation, maybe it makes all the "less smart" kids feel bad.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:46 pm
Topper wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:31 pm My kid's school doesn't even have a sports day for grades 1-3, instead they take them to the playground in City Park for the afternoon. LOL
Wow - since when it is bad to praise kids who are born athletes, we talk about kids doing well in school, giving them certificates for B or A average but we don't praise people who can run fast. How about no more valedictorian speeches at graduation, maybe it makes all the "less smart" kids feel bad.
Some idiots think competition is bad for younguns.
What they don't realize is that the sooner a youngun finds out someone is better at something, anything, than he or she is,
the sooner they start to try harder at everything.
"evolution"
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

It's a whole new world out there, parents are so involved with their kids lives even as adults. Wait until you get a phone call from a parent asking why their kid didn't get the job they interviewed for, or calls in sick for their 21 year old child. Wonder where this entitlement comes from?

The latest at my sons school, you cannot refer to children with sex specific pronouns unless they approve of it. Last week one of his teachers went around the class and asked how they would like to be referred to as in pronoun form. He/she/it/vagabond/asshat/spoiled fucking brat :roll:

It's getting ridiculous.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:54 pm The latest at my sons school, you cannot refer to children with sex specific pronouns unless they approve of it. Last week one of his teachers went around the class and asked how they would like to be referred to as in pronoun form. He/she/it/vagabond/asshat/spoiled fucking brat :roll:

It's getting ridiculous.
Liberal Fascism.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:02 pm
Aaronp18 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:54 pm The latest at my sons school, you cannot refer to children with sex specific pronouns unless they approve of it. Last week one of his teachers went around the class and asked how they would like to be referred to as in pronoun form. He/she/it/vagabond/asshat/spoiled fucking brat :roll:

It's getting ridiculous.

Liberal Fascism.
The first time I watched a Jordan Peterson video on reading and writing I loved the guy.

The first political YouTube sermon where he talked about postmodern social Marxism I wondered if i had just discovered Doc’s alter ego
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Not sure what's going on in the Valley, Reef, but around here all the running events have place-ribbons -it's seriously competitive.

As for not recording the score in soccer, as you both pointed out, every kids loves to win and they all know the score. So you haven't removed the competitiveness at all. I believe the reason for not recording wins is to avoid the problem of "one fast kid, one kid that can hammer it" tactics from the coach. If you start hanging recorded victories on coaches of young teams (U10 and below), many will tool their game plan to boot the ball up-field to the fastest kid who'll outrun everyone and slot it in the goal. That's somewhat fine for those two kids, but at 2-touches and a goal, it doesn't teach anybody else on the field how to play. It doesn't really teach any of them to play.

As for everything else about the current age of entitlement, I'm with you guys - it's appalling.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Yeah, in my kids pre-Atom league the kids always know the score, even when it's 20-1!

But the coach is already giving the better players more ice-time. And at the year-end party a few kids are singled out with trophies. So I'm happy that not everyone believes that malarkey.

Everyone wants to win; the coaches, kids, and parents. Pretty dull otherwise.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

OK, I know the Daily Mail is a rag, but apparently they have good taste...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... strip.html

:drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

NAFTA will be hosting the 2026 World Cup!

Most games, including the playoffs, will be played in the USA, but the initial group phase will have 16 groups playing in 10 cities in the USA, three in Canada (Edmonton, Montreal and Toronto, iirc) and three in Mexico.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Yeah Canada finally in WC again.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Seattle closest venue, Edmonton closest Canadian venue.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I'm still hoping for Vancouver to get back into consideration, but if not, Seattle's a great venue... and close by.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I'm assuming natural grass plays into consideration as to where games are played. Cause Vancouver would draw higher ticket prices than Edmonton for sure!