Affordable housing/living

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Affordable housing/living

Post by 2Fingers »

I was thinking about this whole affordability issue living in the lower mainland but will concentrate on Vancouver.

In one report they said a millennial household with 2 workers makes $72,291/year.

Using some really simple simple simple math.

The max mortgage this couple can afford is ~$420k.

Average house price in Vancouver is $1.8M, to actually pay for a house you would need a combined income of $250k.

All of the talk about foreign ownership and stopping that I am really curious to understand what do they expect to happen? Do they expect houses to fall in price or more rentals to open up?

What is “affordable house prices”? If people are expecting housing to drop they are not looking at the big picture. If prices drop 10% - 20% for all levels, single family, townhouse and condo that is probably ok. If prices drop 30% - 50% to even get close to affordability for the average household then people will be just dropping their keys off at the banks as many people cannot afford that.

I see an issue with minimum wage and house pricing. I mean no offence but if 2 people in a household only each make minimal wage you SHOULDN’T be able to afford to buy a house. For most part (not trying to paint everyone with the same brush) they have done nothing to improve themselves and probably only have a grade 12 education (again nothing wrong with that).

I know myself like many others here do what it takes to get promoted or work for themselves. I have some sympathy for low income workers, I have no problem with some rent support or other means but people need to start to taking accountability for their own actions and not always rely on different levels of government to help them out.

What is Weaver thinking about stopping all foreigners from buying house etc? I know he is a politician and full of S**t but I would like to see what he expects to happen and why.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Affordable housing/living

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:47 pm
I know myself like many others here do what it takes to get promoted
:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Fuck bag licking eh Reef...go straight for the cock
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:16 pm Fuck bag licking eh Reef...go straight for the cock
Lol, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

But it is usually long days, continue education and deliver.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Last time I lived in Vancouver, I lived 2 buildings from Kits beach on Cornwall and paid $700 a month rent - have things changed much since then?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:45 pm Last time I lived in Vancouver, I lived 2 buildings from Kits beach on Cornwall and paid $700 a month rent - have things changed much since then?
Yeah, Reef lost all his fish and probably half his house, and became a rentboy as a result so he could get back in the game.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I laugh at all the moaners about affordable housing. Wake up and smell the coffee. Vancouver is not affordable anymore and never will be no matter how hard we try to curtail the foreigners from buying real estate here. Here's the problem in Vancouver, we are on the level now with San Francisco, London, New York etc., the difference being is that those unaffordable cities became unaffordable gradually, Vanvihver didn't. We became unaffordable over night. The moaners just can't adjust. Only the über wealthy can buy houses in this city. The mid class has to now realize that they need to warm up to condos and townhouses which is why they are flying right now and detached houses ain't. If you want your own dirt go to maple ridge. New Yorkers have been commuting hiurs each way for years, we haven't, get used to it, it's only going to get worse
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Bad, ominous luck, terrible things. Could be achieved via mass hypnosis. :D It will work and I'm workin on it!
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

An educated and mobile workforce.

People have forgotten the mobile post of that truism.

My Grandparents moved to Vancouver in the early days of the twentieth century. Home ownership was not easy. One set found a place in the farmlands of South Vancouver. Converted a small barn to a home near 49th been Fraser and Knight. The other set of grandparents were successful in business. My grandmother's house is still standing two blocks off 41st and Granville.

When my parents married, their first home was a house on grandfather's mink farm in Surrey on King George about where the Crappy Tire on the Ring Road stands. They finally afforded their own piece of land in North Delta near 80th and 108 but had to clear some of the land and had a Model A set up to power a buzz saw driven from a belt off the rear wheel to mill the lumber for the house. They could only afford it because of the veteran's loan program.

I left Canada in 1990 to work abroad, returned in 2001, but left Vancouver in 2005. I was there most of last week and will be there all next week. I can't imagine why anyone wants to live there. Beautiful setting, completely fucked infrastructure and no sign of it ever getting better as the popular trend is to make it worse.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:19 am I can't imagine why anyone wants to live there. Beautiful setting, completely fucked infrastructure and no sign of it ever getting better as the popular trend is to make it worse.
but... but... but... bike lanes
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:29 pm
Topper wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:19 am I can't imagine why anyone wants to live there. Beautiful setting, completely fucked infrastructure and no sign of it ever getting better as the popular trend is to make it worse.
:evil: Target practice.
Just kidding, Trev...
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:29 pm
Fuck me, left Ditchmond at 8am and headed south on 99. One south bound lane at the Dease Tunnel......but they killed the replacement and are going to study options for the next five years.

Gotta say, that Whalley-Dalta bypass is a fucking marvel. More please!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

YUP

I used to like to head into Van once in a while.

Visit friends/family/the hood.

Now I avoid it like the plague.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm looking at a renovation job in the Clark Park area Doc, the house is in terrible shape to put it niceoy, homeowner paid an arm and a leg for it and the reno he wants to do is around the $400,000 mark.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

That is fucking hilarious.