The Brexit disaster

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11396
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by Topper »

ukcanuck wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:46 am
50 percent wanted brexit and had a party to vote for who was clear about leaving the EU.

The 50 percent who wanted to remain had no clear choice As Corbin was a leaver and would not grab the obvious counter point to the Tory party.

In the end it seems Corbin may have been an idealist and actually a hard working guy but he was shit at the game of thrones.

He was Daniel Sedin to Boris’ merchant. Just kept turning the other cheek.

The lib dems were like the Brexit party (one trick ponies)
Now we know where your Jewish banker conspiracies come from
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 am
ukcanuck wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:46 am
50 percent wanted brexit and had a party to vote for who was clear about leaving the EU.

The 50 percent who wanted to remain had no clear choice As Corbin was a leaver and would not grab the obvious counter point to the Tory party.

In the end it seems Corbin may have been an idealist and actually a hard working guy but he was shit at the game of thrones.

He was Daniel Sedin to Boris’ merchant. Just kept turning the other cheek.

The lib dems were like the Brexit party (one trick ponies)
Now we know where your Jewish banker conspiracies come from
You mean Jewish controlled media and that angle was played to great effect here too but also without any basis in reality of course

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11396
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9810
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by The Brown Wizard »

:wow:

Holy fuck that was an epic beatdown.

UK that plonks you, Per and the remaining remainders into the fanatical minority category. (not racial minority...)
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8558
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by Cornuck »

Interesting if you look at how the voting went by age:

Image
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11396
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:30 am
Interesting if you look at how the voting went by age:

Image
Doesn't that reflect most elections, kids vote commie, adults vote for responsibility.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8558
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by Cornuck »

Generally yes - it's interesting that you see a 10% difference for every 10 years. And, of course 'commie' - just keep plugging your propaganda. ;)
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11396
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:11 pm
Generally yes - it's interesting that you see a 10% difference for every 10 years. And, of course 'commie' - just keep plugging your propaganda. ;)
Corbyn was looking for a return to the grand days of British Leyland and Lucas "Prince of Darkness" Electronics.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by ukcanuck »

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:50 am
:wow:

Holy fuck that was an epic beatdown.

UK that plonks you, Per and the remaining remainders into the fanatical minority category. (not racial minority...)
That’s what I’m talking about, an article full of strawman arguments, quotes taken out of context, conjecture and opinion. Wholly devoid of facts, verifiable links or sources and hanging by the thread of the kryptonite of logic and reason “antisemitism”

And you bite...

The election was about Brexit plain and simple.

The accusations of antisemitism, supporting terrorists, and the dismantling of the trident nuclear deterrent are and have been completely baseless and lacking in fact but oh so believable when constantly being buried by a never ending flood of bullshit was a factor but not the deciding factor.
Much like in Canada where the conservatives tried the same tactic against Trudeau’s “black face, terrorist supporting globalist bullshit. It didn’t work in Canada because the issues were more important.

in this case the blunder was not drawing a straight and easily understandable line to the half of the country who wanted to remain.


In end the reason that Corbyn lost is that he did not position the Labour Party as the anti Brexit party from day one.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11396
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by Topper »

McLeans had this to say about Commie Corbyn

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/worldp ... tic-world/
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 23198
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:05 pm
The accusations of antisemitism, supporting terrorists... are and have been completely baseless and lacking in fact
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight... :wink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Per
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5123
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by Per »

ukcanuck wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:05 pm

In end the reason that Corbyn lost is that he did not position the Labour Party as the anti Brexit party from day one.
That, and that he did not accept the idea presented by the LibDems to have a joint list for the parties demanding a second referendum.

Among the pro-brexiteres, the Tories got 43.6% and UKIP got 2%.

Labour had 32.2%, the LibDems 11.5%, the SNP 3.9% and the Greens 2.7%.

Now, the SNP would clearly not have gone along with the idea, but Labour and LibDems combined for 43.7%, which is more than the Tories got, and if the Greens had gone along with it that’s 46.4%.

Now, in a first past the post race it was of course devastating that the Pro-Brexit vote basically all went to one party and the Pro-Remain vote was splintered. A joint list could have helped amend that.

In a proportional system, Boris would have had to convince some other party to back him as PM, as the Tories did not get 50% of the vote, and apart from the UKIP and the Northern Ireland Unionists, that would not suffice, pretty much everyone else would demand a second referendum as a condition for doing so. Well, the SNP would even demand two referendums, one on Brexit and one on Scottish independence.....

So, I get it, Corbyn thinks the LibDems are too far to the right, and feels they had more to gain from a joint list than Labour would. But in turning their invitation down, he cleared the way for Brexit and for five years of conservative rule not to mention that he doomed himself.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:20 pm
ukcanuck wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:05 pm
The accusations of antisemitism, supporting terrorists... are and have been completely baseless and lacking in fact
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight... :wink:
Go ahead and show me the proof. You’ll be the first one to do so if you can. The two articles that topper provides have only accusations, no actual links to sources or clips of any kind.

So far it looks exactly like the smear campaign you keep blaming for trump except in this case it worked.

Try to find one occasion where Corbyn’s name is mentioned without a negative associated adjective. Just one neutral comment anywhere at all.

I’m curious if you can because, you know it seems fantastical to me that an actual antisemite/ terrorist plotting, straight out old school communist could actually lead any party in any western country including the rhinoceros party.

The truth is more likely that the hate on for Corbyn is linked to the threat that the elite rich might actually have to pay taxes.

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by ukcanuck »

Per wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:37 pm
ukcanuck wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:05 pm

In end the reason that Corbyn lost is that he did not position the Labour Party as the anti Brexit party from day one.
That, and that he did not accept the idea presented by the LibDems to have a joint list for the parties demanding a second referendum.

Among the pro-brexiteres, the Tories got 43.6% and UKIP got 2%.

Labour had 32.2%, the LibDems 11.5%, the SNP 3.9% and the Greens 2.7%.

Now, the SNP would clearly not have gone along with the idea, but Labour and LibDems combined for 43.7%, which is more than the Tories got, and if the Greens had gone along with it that’s 46.4%.

Now, in a first past the post race it was of course devastating that the Pro-Brexit vote basically all went to one party and the Pro-Remain vote was splintered. A joint list could have helped amend that.

In a proportional system, Boris would have had to convince some other party to back him as PM, as the Tories did not get 50% of the vote, and apart from the UKIP and the Northern Ireland Unionists, that would not suffice, pretty much everyone else would demand a second referendum as a condition for doing so. Well, the SNP would even demand two referendums, one on Brexit and one on Scottish independence.....

So, I get it, Corbyn thinks the LibDems are too far to the right, and feels they had more to gain from a joint list than Labour would. But in turning their invitation down, he cleared the way for Brexit and for five years of conservative rule not to mention that he doomed himself.
I heard some talk about Corbyn Being pro- brexit himself. That would make some sense of his tepid response to remain voters.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11396
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by Topper »

Shall we call it Independence Day?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Post Reply