The Brexit disaster

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:34 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:11 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:24 pm Haha so I did! It wasn't there when I hit reply.
YES, it was. :scowl:

I was watching very closely...
I'm afraid you are mistaken sir. When <Reply>ing, the forum software takes the quote from the database, not from the replier's current page. I've verified this just now.

Therefore you have no way of knowing what was on my screen when I hit <Reply>. That is, unless ....
I see, and yes I know, I thought you were implying it wasn't there after you hit reply.

BTW yours truly always goes to Preview before hitting Reply... to first check for any edits.

But then yours truly is practically perfect in every way. :D

I would suggest everyone at the very least checks for edits after they hit Reply.

It seems you and I are always experiencing "Failure to Communicate", but carry on...
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:38 pm I see, and yes I know, I thought you were implying it wasn't there after you hit reply.

BTW yours truly always goes to Preview before hitting Reply... to first check for any edits.

But then yours truly is practically perfect in every way. :D

I would suggest everyone at the very least checks for edits after they hit Reply.

It seems you and I are always experiencing "Failure to Communicate", but carry on...
We need to update the emos, I need a puke one.

8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:23 pm We need to update the emos, I need a puke one.

8-)

____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:23 pm

8-)
Quit drinking jap crap whiskey and you wont have to puke it up after every glass
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:56 pm

8-)
Quit drinking jap crap whiskey and you wont have to puke it up after every glass
It beats the hell out of the dry heaves.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

8-)
This coming from a guy that thinks Canadian Club Whisky is good. :shock:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:47 pm

8-)
This coming from a guy that thinks Canadian Club Whisky is good. :shock:
No lol...crown northern harvest
If you need air...call it in
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:13 pm
BingoTough wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:18 am
Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:30 pm

"Sure, off the record some of (leaders of the Leave campaign) admit they couldn’t have pulled it off if it weren’t for the racist vote"

I doubt it, but I'm genuinely curious...
https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-06-24/ ... are-voters
One government minister in support of Britain's exit, or Brexit, told the BBC: “'Vote Leave' does not want to major on immigration, but the problem is that on the economy we are playing defense.”
Not a smoking gun, in that you could cry 'fake news' at the unnamed source...
A campaign low arrived in the form of a poster showing thousands of refugees crossing the Croatia-Slovenia border last year. The words "BREAKING POINT" were emblazoned across the picture, above a line that read: "We must break free of the EU and take back control of our borders."
... but where there's smoke there's fire.
You missed the point and are doing the very thing I claimed Per was doing:

Confusing issues with immigration and racism.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/per ... there.html
They say he is shortly off to the Congo. No doubt the AK47s will fall silent, and the pangas will stop their hacking of human flesh, and the tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief touch down in his big white British taxpayer-funded bird. Like Zeus, back there in the Iliad, he has turned his shining eyes away, far over the lands of the Hippemolgoi, the drinkers of mares' milk. He has forgotten domestic affairs, and here, as it happens, in this modest little country that elected him, hell has broken loose.
Definitely no racism, it's all just NIMBY prejudice about immigration. Nothing to see here folks.

Seriously though, I don't find it reasonable to claim concerns about immigration aren't tightly coupled to racist undertones, and the national conversation highlighted that. If it the concerns were legitimately about 'immigrants place undue burden on our services and take an outsized proportion of welfare/benefits' that would be one thing, but both are provably false. Immigrants to the UK are net contributors (contribute more than they receive in kind from the state) and support a great many industries that are short on labour both highly skilled (NHS staff, IT, Finance, etc) and low skilled (insufficient fruit pickers in the UK is leading to fruit rotting in the fields).

However, these facts are either not considered (I will concede that ignorance does not equal racist) or are discounted. So if the economics aren't the concern? What is it? It's the immigrants are 'different'. They speak different languages (or with english as a 2nd language), have different ethnicity, different culture or all of the above. In any case, not liking somebody because they speak a different language or are ethnically different is racist.

Would I like it if the town I lived in transitioned overnight from being 'Canadian' to be suddely 'filled' with another cultural group (i.e. millenials)? Probably not. Is that xenophobic? Yeah. Would it then be legitimate to discriminate or vote against that group. No.

With all that said, in my view, campaigning on immigration is pandering to the ignorance and xenophobia (i.e. racism) but I'm not sure the xenophobia is black and white. You'll have some out and out racists but an awful lot of people who don't like the change they see on the streets and in the hospitals.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

They are arriving by the truckload.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-polcie ... k-of-truck

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

It seems attacking immigration is the back in vogue especially if you are a politician and you are behind in the polls.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-aust ... MYV2WyM0kA

Interesting to see Australia trying to limit where people live when they move to the country, how would that work here? Would it not be better for the country to see more people move to Saskatchewan and Manitoba or Northern BC vs. Van/To?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

It has been ongoing in Canada for decades.

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Topper wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:28 am They are arriving by the truckload.

Illegal migrants are not the same as immigrants. The media (intentionally I think) very often fail to make the distinction.

It doesnt make it the situation on that truck less tragic but let's be clear. Being from somewhere poor doesn't entitle you to move somewhere 'rich' anymore than being a refugee does. Being a refugee only entitles you to being somewhere safe. I won't pretend the people weren't desperate but that's not the standard.

Is it fair that some people grew up in 'rich' countries and others didn't? Not at all.

We have a long way however before the world becomes a fair place and right now, the average person is being asked to foot the bill while billionaires drink champagne from the belly buttons of attractive models (male and female billionaires alike).
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BingoTough wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:44 am
Topper wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:28 am They are arriving by the truckload.

Illegal migrants are not the same as immigrants. The media (intentionally I think) very often fail to make the distinction.

It doesnt make it the situation on that truck less tragic but let's be clear. Being from somewhere poor doesn't entitle you to move somewhere 'rich' anymore than being a refugee does. Being a refugee only entitles you to being somewhere safe. I won't pretend the people weren't desperate but that's not the standard.

Is it fair that some people grew up in 'rich' countries and others didn't? Not at all.

We have a long way however before the world becomes a fair place and right now, the average person is being asked to foot the bill while billionaires drink champagne from the belly buttons of attractive models (male and female billionaires alike).
:lol:

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So...... Brexit postponed again, now till "no later (lol!) than" January 31st 2020.

Meanwhile, it seems the British will have new parliamentary elections some time in December. Possibly the 12th.

To be continued.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Boris Johnson is blocking the release of a report on Russian interference in the Brexit referendum until after the elections. :shock:
The publication of a report into Russian interference in the 2016 Brexit referendum is to be delayed until after the upcoming U.K. general election, Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s office said Monday.

The 50-page report by the U.K. Parliament’s Intelligence and Security Committee, entitled simply “Russia,” was due to be published on Monday.

The culmination of an 18-month inquiry, the report had compiled evidence from Britain’s intelligence agencies and other experts about the extent of Russian interference in Britain’s democratic processes. But it will now not be published until after the Dec. 12 election, after the Prime Minister’s office refused to give the necessary signoff.
“This is the report that would be telling us the actual scale of Russian interference,” Taylor tells TIME. “If this report comes out before the election and it suggests that Russia played a significant role in supporting Vote Leave — i.e. in supporting Boris Johnson — then it could affect him as the leader of the Conservative Party.”

In the same vein, the report would “most certainly affect” the Conservatives’ prospects in the forthcoming election, Taylor argues, “because it could be that thing which finally wakes people up to the idea that Brexit wasn’t free and fair in the first place.”
https://time.com/5717670/uk-russian-int ... t-delayed/
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.