The Brexit disaster

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:42 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:32 pm
micky107 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:24 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:40 pm
micky107 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:09 am from my chair, "literally", the male looks much more dangerous.
Racist! :evil:
I said from my chair. https://nationalpostcom.files.wordpress ... own-04.jpg

Besides; the girls' a Russian.
Bigot! :twisted:
Actor! :twisted:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:24 pm Besides; the girls' a Russian.
Bigot is derived from Visigoth, and was used as a racial slur by the French against viking settlers in Normandie! :evil:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

All my grandparents were born in North America. Go back to great grandparents and it's Irish, English and Swiss.

How bout you, Per? .............................................................................. :mrgreen:
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:25 am
micky107 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:24 pm Besides; the girls' a Russian.
Bigot is derived from Visigoth, and was used as a racial slur by the French against viking settlers in Normandie! :evil:
Dirty anti-immigrant frogs?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:03 am .
All my grandparents were born in North America. Go back to great grandparents and it's Irish, English and Swiss.

How bout you, Per? .............................................................................. :mrgreen:
Just Swedes basically, but on my mother’s side, there was a priest back in the early 17th century who was very active in pursuing witches and having them burnt at a stake, and his third wife, who was the mother of the son my family comes from, was Finnish. Also, on my father’s side, there was a French protestant bishop, who came to Sweden as a refugee in the 16th century. One of his sons later worked as a pirate in the Caribbean, the Dutch paid him to attack Spanish ships. When he died of old age in Amsterdam, he owned large parts of Guyana and some 60 barrells of gold, but had no children. The lawyers his siblings sent to Guyana managed to get the deeds for the plantations in their own names and stayed in South America, while the Dutch government collected the gold barrells for safe keeping till it could be determined who the rightful heirs were. Unfortuntely the barrells seem to have been misplaced since, but there is still a group of descendants renewing the claim to the Dutch courts every twenty years or so. Maybe some day they will succeed in getting reimbursed for the 60 barrells of gold. I’m descended from one of his sisters, but I haven’t registered with the group as I doubt the Dutch will ever cough up what they owe us.... :evil:

Also, my paternal grandmother, one of my aunts and a cousin all have (or had) a gene that causes cancer in the ovaries. That gene is normally just found on the British isles, so there must probably be some sort of Celtic or Anglo-Saxon somewhere in the family tree, but for all I know it could be some viking age thrall. I mean, we can usually just trace neritage back to the 16th century here in Sweden, unless you come across nobility, in which case you might be able to trace it further back. That Finnish wife of the witch-hunting priest does add that. She came from nobility, so that particular lineage goes back to the 13th century, but then you get back to Sweden, because the nobility in Finland was mostly Swedes...
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So, the Brexiteers have argued that they want to return power to the British parliament.

And how do they plan to accomplish this?

By suspending parliament so they cannot have a say..... :crazy:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49 ... n_ynCM6FlQ

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:48 am Image
:lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Interesting day in the British parliament today.

As a response to Johnson shutting parliament down, starting the 9th, the opposition will attempt to push through legislation today, demanding that the government must ask for a three month extention (ie till Jan 31st) unless a deal to leave the EU has been approved by Oct 19th.

If they succeed, which they should, Boris Johnson will most likely call for a new general election, possibly as early as Oct 14th.

Johnson has argued that if they remove the option of a no deal brexit, Britain has no leverage in negotiations with the EU.
What he fails to realize though is that the chicken race he is trying to win by pushing no deal as an option,is a chicken race between a British Rover and a lumber truck. The crash would be hardly noticeable by the EU but could be devastating for Britain. :drink:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

And as another tory MP crosses the aisle to join the libdems, the BoJo government no longer has a majority in parliament! :thumbs:

New general elections coming up? :look:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 1567522043
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So, parliament has now passed legislation that if there is no deal in place by Oct 19th, the government must seek a three month extension till Jan 31st, 2020, or any other date suggested by the EU that the parliament accepts.

21 members of the conservative party voted with the opposition on this, and Boris, always a fan of democratic procedures and respect for others opinions, has promptly had them thrown out of the party. This includes a former secretary of finance as well as the grandson of Winston Churchill... :lol:

Boris then called for new general elections, but Labour blocked this - possibly the first time in history the major opposition party opposes having a shot at taking over government - as Corbyn wants the new legislation to be confirmed by the house of lords first and ratified by the queen. :roll:

This is the best reality show I've seen in ages. Something completely unexpected and whacky happening every single day now.

And you gotta love the leading star, the conservative but not so keen on Brexit speaker of the house, John Bercow...

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Oh, and it just got better! :D

Jo Johnson, conservative MP and Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation, the smarter brother and the British version of Marshall in How I Met Your Mother, just resigned, citing that he had been torn between loyalty for his family and for the nation!

Here's an image of Boris for comparisson:

I also love this twitter quote from Jo's and Boris's sister Rachel:
I said last night at a charity do that the family avoids the topic of Brexit especially at meals as we don’t want to gang up on the PM!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Standing up for sovereignty is hard work.

He must be a hero of sorts...
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:32 am Standing up for sovereignty is hard work.

He must be a hero of sorts...
Maybe to some, but ....

At least the British are polite. :look:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

And now this.....
Mr Johnson has previously insisted that it was normal practice for a new government to prorogue Parliament, and that it was "nonsense" to suggest he was attempting to undermine democracy.

But the Court of Session judges said they were unanimous in their belief that Mr Johnson was motivated by the "improper purpose of stymieing Parliament", and that he had therefore effectively misled the Queen in advising her to suspend Parliament.

They added: "The Court will accordingly make an Order declaring that the prime minister's advice to HM the Queen and the prorogation which followed thereon was unlawful and is thus null and of no effect."
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-49661855

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Dominic Grieve, the former Conservative MP and attorney general who now sits as an independent, said the prime minister should "resign very swiftly" if he has misled the Queen.

Mr Grieve said: "He will find himself in an untenable position in Parliament. Every member that believes in our constitution would simply say it's over."
(same article)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!