The War on Canada

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

The War on Canada

Postby Per » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:10 am

Trump is starting a new trade war by slapping double digit tariffs on Canadian lumber, something that is set to hurt Canadian exports and in particular British Columbia. :|

Well, and of course also US construction companies and those in the US planning to buy a new house.
But that's what happens when you go protectionist to cater to special interests, like the US lumber industry.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39708779
Last edited by Per on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The War on Canada

Postby micky107 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:47 am

We will just take away his bacon.
"evolution"
micky107
CC Legend

Postby Per » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:15 am

Steven Colbert:
"Afaik this is the first time anyone has rejected Justin Trudeau's wood."

Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby micky107 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:12 am

All this tough guy stuff was completely anticipated.
Washington, Oregon and Norther California always bitch about BC lumber and every new President says he will tax the shit out of it. It's all a game and WE actually have more leverage. "POWER" as in the type you need to turn on your air-conditioner.

The reality is that over the last 30 years, their own wild-life environmentalists have hindered their lumber industry more than we have. Go figure.....
"evolution"
micky107
CC Legend

Postby Per » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:48 pm

I know, this has been on and off since the 80's.
I would have thought Nafta took care of it though.
Guess not. :mex:

And I guess it's easier (and safer) to strongarm Canada than China. :|

You should be good though. Once the tariffs take effect the US construction industry will start whining, as their costs go up, and Trump is an old builder, so he should be sympathetic to their plight and roll the tariffs back again.

Unless of course the master plan is to drive the competition into bankrupcy..... :shock:
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ukcanuck » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:36 pm

micky107 wrote:All this tough guy stuff was completely anticipated.
Washington, Oregon and Norther California always bitch about BC lumber and every new President says he will tax the shit out of it. It's all a game and WE actually have more leverage. "POWER" as in the type you need to turn on your air-conditioner.

The reality is that over the last 30 years, their own wild-life environmentalists have hindered their lumber industry more than we have. Go figure.....

Here is an idea: raise stumpage fees to match Washington Oregon and California and put the money towards healthcare and education!

Yeah I know, morons will call it communism...

What's it like to be a dumb fuck?
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Postby micky107 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:14 am

Wouldn't know. I'm not a communist.
"evolution"
micky107
CC Legend

Return to Creeper's Bar & Grill