Midsummer, might as well talk politics

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Midsummer, might as well talk politics

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reef I appreciate getting free medical but I'm sorry to say the medical system in its current state is broken. Then again we are a society of hyperchondriacs who fly into the doctors office for the sniffles or a hang nail. There should be a limited amount of visits a person can incur per year. Too many old cunts going into the doctor as an outing or a visit. There should be expanded private care for those who can afford it and some open minded thinking towards a more tiered system.

I have no problem paying a little extra tax on booze and gas and dairy etc to improve basic services for the citizens. But the rates we are paying now are a joke to say the least.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Blobbee talking politics when gunned to the gills. Can't be a good thing
More coherent the talking hokey sober.
Translated ..... He doesn't agree with the guzzlers so he is incoherent. Cool beans. :lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I have no problem paying a little extra tax on booze and gas and dairy etc to improve basic services for the citizens.
Citizens of the USA? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: I have no problem paying a little extra tax on booze and gas and dairy etc to improve basic services for the citizens.
Well Doc why is 40 gallons of gas an $80 swing ?

Why is a bottle of vodka $12 in the US but $40 here? A dozen beer for $8 in the US but $20 here ? It's a big time gouging is what I'm saying. I don't mind an extra 10- 20 % markup but when it's 60- 100 % ,it's a bit much no ??? And there's no way you can tell me 100% of that money is going into the fucked up medical system we currently enjoy.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Well I don't like to discuss religion and politics with friends.

Just saying, if you don't stop crossing the line for booze/gas/dairy you'll burn in hell fo sho bro. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Well Doc why is 40 gallons of gas an $80 swing ?

Why is a bottle of vodka $12 in the US but $40 here? A dozen beer for $8 in the US but $20 here ? It's a big time gouging is what I'm saying. I don't mind an extra 10- 20 % markup but when it's 60- 100 % ,it's a bit much no ??? And there's no way you can tell me 100% of that money is going into the fucked up medical system we currently enjoy.
I don't what kind of beer swill you're paying $8 a dozen for! :D

As for the 'fucked up' medical system? I'm sure it has it faults, but it is nowhere near the clusterfuck south of the border. I think you might be a little spoiled, Blobby.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:Well I don't like to discuss religion and politics with friends.

Just saying, if you don't stop crossing the line for booze/gas/dairy you'll burn in hell fo sho bro. 8-)
Not that I've had much chance lately

But I'd rather pay the stick up price on this side of the line than answer questions by prick border guards.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ukcanuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Well I don't like to discuss religion and politics with friends.

But I'd rather pay the stick up price on this side of the line than answer questions by prick border guards.
I live a stone's throw from the border and have my Nexus, all the guards ask me now is "Anything to declare?" "Thanks sir, have a nice day!"

The American guards address me by name and often just waive me through now.

I don't go much as it's not as worth it these days, but the shops in Blaine are the closest shopping/gas for us.

All you have to do is look them in the eye, answer their questions honestly, and treat them as respectfully as possible and I've never had any issue. Kind of how I expect my kids to interact with adults and authority figures!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

I live a stone's throw from the border and have my Nexus, all the guards ask me now is "Anything to declare?" "Thanks sir, have a nice day!"

I don't go much as it's not as worth it these days, but the shops in Blaine are the closest shopping/gas for us.

All you have to do is look them in the eye, answer their questions honestly, and treat them as respectfully as possible and I've never had any issue. Kind of how I expect my kids to interact with adults and authority figures!
No need for a Nexus where I am, if it takes 10 minutes to get across the line something is wrong.
Radio off, sunglasses off, windows down front and back, passports in hand open to photo page.

Remember that you have no rights, be honest, polite and respectful.

I was wearing the same shirt as in my passport pic one day and the US guard laughed and told me why and said if it was the US southern border I'd be invited inside.

Several of the Canadian guards are friends, but for the most part, no friendly banter when they are on duty.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: No need for a Nexus where I am, if it takes 10 minutes to get across the line something is wrong.
Radio off, sunglasses off, windows down front and back, passports in hand open to photo page.

Remember that you have no rights, be honest, polite and respectful.

I was wearing the same shirt as in my passport pic one day and the US guard laughed and told me why and said if it was the US southern border I'd be invited inside.

Several of the Canadian guards are friends, but for the most part, no friendly banter when they are on duty.
Exactly!

Show them you understand how much power and authority they yield, and they won't feel the need to demonstrate.

Unfortunately, I'm right beside the two busiest border crossings in BC. However, Nexus has been well worth it as I get to the front of security and border lineups at the airport as well.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeahno, I think those 2-bit nazis can tell I think they're 2-bit nazis. :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Try skipping the salute and goose step when you show up at the border.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

:look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Aaronp18 wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

It's the answer the questions honestly bit that irritates the shit out of me. The presumption of guilt.

I am a law abiding citizen and fuck you, prove I'm not first before you ask me where I'm going.

and topper, I never hand my passport open to the right page. Fuck that let them thumb through it, the pricks

Though I do respect them enough to take my sunglasses off so they can see my insulted glare...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ukcanuck wrote: It's the answer the questions honestly bit that irritates the shit out of me. The presumption of guilt.

I am a law abiding citizen and fuck you, prove I'm not first before you ask me where I'm going.
Here's your problem, well one of them. :P

They aren't law enforcement officers, they are border GUARDS. They ensure the people being allowed into the country from foreign soil are permitted to be there. They also enforce many regulations that police or any other authority figure has no jurisdiction over, like transport of restricted items across borders - don't try to take a Kinder Egg into the states!! :mrgreen:

It's a privilege, not a right, to be allowed into a country that you are not a citizen or resident of. You need to present an understanding that you will follow the laws of the country you are entering, much to the dismay of many Americans who fail to realize that just because you can carry a gun in the states doesn't mean you have the right to in Canada.

Doesn't matter if you're law abiding, you can completely follow the laws of each country and still violate trade agreements crossing the border with certain items. They're just doing their job, make it easy for them and you won't ever have an issue.