Vancouver Transit Referendum

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Vancouver Transit Referendum

Post by Strangelove »

They should force everyone to participate in government IQ tests.

They should have those with lower IQ scores pay higher taxes.

Idiot Tax anyone?

This idea first came to me when I saw how readily the general population accepted the “Carbon Tax”.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Strangelove wrote:Idiot Tax anyone?
Best proposal ever.
There are too much out there, countless hordes. Everything is already and will be regulated for "our" society's safety and everybody has to pay (and suffer) for it.

Let the idiots bleed!
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Nobody knows if it's yes/no winning at this point, usually there's a consensus, but not this time.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Yeah, vote No, ignore it, the traffic will just magically get better. Translink will disappear or get better.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comme ... -heres-why

You will be nominated for a Darwin Award :)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Isn't the money already committed and Translink is simply looking at how to collect it.

The member Mayors rejected an increased property tax levy as a ballot box toxin for themselves and hence committed to referendum on how the monies will be collected.

This is the referendum politics that has created the financial fiasco that is California.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

When you have idiots like Curly , Gregor , Corrigan and Stewart as mayors on the North Fraser I shudder to think what this region will look like in the next fifteen years . Mongoloids one and all . No way I spend more than three or four months here a year after 2024 . I don't like it now and the Tri Cities area ( my hood ) is a fucking disaster . Asshole of the lower mainland for traffic and transportation .

The blind leading the blind.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Finally voted aha.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote:Finally voted aha.
Did you bus it to a mail box in Langley?

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:
SKYO wrote:Finally voted aha.
Did you bus it to a mail box in Langley?
ha yup took over month via bus to make it out there. 8-)
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Translink will now have no choice but to go back the the Mayor's of the region and revisit raising property taxes and fares.

I don't live in the region but if I did I would have voted yes.

Road tolls and not just bridge tolls anyone.

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I wonder what the cost of transit should be?

currently a 3 zone pass is ~$176, a car travelling the same distance assuming you live on a direct line would cost $200 - $300 a month for the car payment, $140 - $180 a month for insurance and $200 - $300 for gas.

There is a levy on the gas for transit and I know that ICBC profits are taken by the government each year so both of these subsidies the transit cost.

I know that the funds was not only for skytrain but roads and bridges as well but it is time for the local area to take a hard 5 - 10 year plan and develop it properly. Toll all bridges and raise transit costs to be self sufficient, I as a car driver am tired of paying for someone to take a bus.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: I don't live in the region but if I did I would have voted yes.

Road tolls and not just bridge tolls anyone.
Yup, they'll get the money somehow.

People are so shortsighted.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Translink should be seperate from the govt. They should fire all the idiots that currently make up the board and hire whoever designed Portlands light rail system . Lots of bright people out there but they aren't named Greg Moore or Gregor Robertson .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/col ... story.html
Vancouverism might be a reality for two or three neighbourhoods huddling in the downtown, and that greener, more progressive ethos might hold sway in one or two more.

But Vancouver — and I speak of it in the metro sense — is the sum of its parts, and most of its parts are suburban in their sensibilities, and that includes not just all of the suburbs but most of the neighbourhoods in the City of Vancouver proper.

They’re resistant to change. They abhor densification. They’re conventional in their sensibilities and they’re highly dependent on the automobile. More importantly, they’re not just dependent on the automobile, they prefer it.

Somehow, that important distinction was ignored in the plebiscite campaign. But what you did hear were complaints about TransLink’s governance or track record — complaints that were bogus, because most people in the public haven’t got a clue how TransLink is governed or how well it performs. Nor do they care. They’ve never been near a bus in their lives and wouldn’t stoop to ride one now. They solemnly swear that they would take transit if it were more convenient to do so, but that’s a lie disguised as a justification. I live in a far-flung suburban neighbourhood where public transit gets me downtown in less time than it would take me to drive my car, and most mornings the bus is never more than a quarter full.

That’s why polls showed that those who voted no in the plebiscite were more likely to live outside Vancouver and drive on a daily basis. They never use transit, so they had no idea whether transit service was good or not.