The Absurd and Whimsical Humour of Vladimir "Dobby" Putin

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: The Absurd and Whimsical Humour of Vladimir "Dobby" Putin

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:42 pm
Per wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:54 pm On that note... apart from the mess on the Belarus-Polish border, there are some 100,000 Russian troops stationed at their border with Ukraine. In a show of solidarity the EU is discussing having a joint military exercise with Ukrainian forces in Ukraine. Poland and the Baltic states are especially keen to do this.
The 'troop build up' number is more like 10,000 Russian troops and they're stationed in a city 150 miles north of the Ukraine border. Of course Russia can send it's troops anywhere it wants in it's territory but for now, there is no buildup on the Ukraine border.
Really? :roll:
Kyiv estimates Russia has deployed as many as 114,000 forces to the north, east, and south of Ukraine — including about 92,000 ground soldiers and the rest in air and sea military forces, Kyrylo Budanov, chief of Ukraine’s military intelligence, told the FT.
https://www.ft.com/content/d4eada1f-284 ... 797addd8cb

The head of Nato has urged Russia to be transparent about its military plans after an increase in the numbers of troops on its border with Ukraine.
Jens Stoltenberg said a "large and unusual" build-up of Russian forces had been spotted on the border in recent weeks.
He spoke amid speculation Russia could be planning to invade Ukraine.
- - -
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson's spokesman said the border situation was "concerning" and that Britain would back Ukraine "in the face of Russian hostility".
According to US media reports, Washington warned European Union allies last week about intelligence suggesting Moscow was preparing for a possible invasion of Ukraine.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59288181

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Per wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:25 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:42 pm
Per wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:54 pm On that note... apart from the mess on the Belarus-Polish border, there are some 100,000 Russian troops stationed at their border with Ukraine. In a show of solidarity the EU is discussing having a joint military exercise with Ukrainian forces in Ukraine. Poland and the Baltic states are especially keen to do this.
The 'troop build up' number is more like 10,000 Russian troops and they're stationed in a city 150 miles north of the Ukraine border. Of course Russia can send it's troops anywhere it wants in it's territory but for now, there is no buildup on the Ukraine border.
Really? :roll:
Kyiv estimates Russia has deployed as many as 114,000 forces to the north, east, and south of Ukraine — including about 92,000 ground soldiers and the rest in air and sea military forces, Kyrylo Budanov, chief of Ukraine’s military intelligence, told the FT.
https://www.ft.com/content/d4eada1f-284 ... 797addd8cb

The head of Nato has urged Russia to be transparent about its military plans after an increase in the numbers of troops on its border with Ukraine.
Jens Stoltenberg said a "large and unusual" build-up of Russian forces had been spotted on the border in recent weeks.
He spoke amid speculation Russia could be planning to invade Ukraine.
- - -
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson's spokesman said the border situation was "concerning" and that Britain would back Ukraine "in the face of Russian hostility".
According to US media reports, Washington warned European Union allies last week about intelligence suggesting Moscow was preparing for a possible invasion of Ukraine.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59288181

I'm hearing there are around 10,000 troops stationed at a location about 150 miles north of the border. The Ukrainians themselves are saying there is no Russian troop buildup on the border currently. We saw what 100,000 Russian troops on the Ukraine border looks like last spring, I hope we don't see it again.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/uk ... 021-11-01/

Russia won't take action unless Ukraine moves against the Donbass republics. As I keep reiterating, it's time for the two sides to negotiate an agreement.
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:37 pm Russia won't take action unless Ukraine moves against the Donbass republics. As I keep reiterating, it's time for the two sides to negotiate an agreement.
The easiest and fairest agreement would be that Russia agreed not to meddle in Ukrainian affairs.

Why should they have a say in Ukrainian politics? :eh:

I also notice that your article is more than two weeks old, whereas the once I posted were from the 15th and 16th of November.

The good news is that so far the democracies of th eworld have stand firm in not recognising the invasion and annexation of Crimea.
Only a handful of countries (Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea...) have recognised Crimea as part of Russia.

If Russia keeps bullying the Ukraine the EU should make sure to block the completetion of the North Stream 2 pipeline that will bring Russian natural gas to the EU. I mean, apart from the madness in increasing the use of fossil fuels, it would also allow Russia to hold a gun to the head of European consumers, making them dependent on Russian gas for heating their houses.

It was a bad idea from the start, but it all got initiated back when European leaders still thought Russia was about to become a normal country that played by the rules. Natural gas seemed like an alternative to coal and nuclear power. Since then the Russians have invaded parts of Georgia and the Ukraine and shown the world that they cannot be trusted.

Just kill the whole project and tell the Russians that all sanctions will remain in place till Crimea has been returned and all meddling in the Donbass region stops.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Btw, the "Donbass Republics" can most easily be described as Ukrainian traitors, financed by Russia, that are attempting to cut off part of the Ukraine and hand it to Russia. These are no legitimate "republics" but Russian subversion, trying to undermine the independence and sovereignty of Ukraine.

It's basically the same thing that they've been doing in Georgia. It's divide and conquer.

The leaders should be locked up in prison and the concerns of the Donbass population at large should be handled through ballots in local and national elections. Armed uprisisngs are not a legitimate way to conduct business in a democracy. Use ballots, not bullets.

All negotiations with the"Donbass Republics" should be about things going back to normal.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Per wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:20 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:37 pm Russia won't take action unless Ukraine moves against the Donbass republics. As I keep reiterating, it's time for the two sides to negotiate an agreement.
The easiest and fairest agreement would be that Russia agreed not to meddle in Ukrainian affairs.

I also notice that your article is more than two weeks old, whereas the once I posted were from the 15th and 16th of November.

The good news is that so far the democracies of th eworld have stand firm in not recognising the invasion and annexation of Crimea.
Only a handful of countries (Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea...) have recognised Crimea as part of Russia.

If Russia keeps bullying the Ukraine the EU should make sure to block the completetion of the North Stream 2 pipeline that will bring Russian natural gas to the EU. I mean, apart from the madness in increasing the use of fossil fuels, it would also allow Russia to hold a gun to the head of European consumers, making them dependent on Russian gas for heating their houses.

It was a bad idea from the start, but it all got initiated back when European leaders still thought Russia was about to become a normal country that played by the rules. Natural gas seemed like an alternative to coal and nuclear power. Since then the Russians have invaded parts of Georgia and the Ukraine and shown the world that they cannot be trusted.

Just kill the whole project and tell the Russians that all sanctions will remain in place till Crimea has been returned and all meddling in the Donbass region stops.
It's NATO that needs to stop meddling in Ukraine Per or they will regret it, Ukraine has to come to the negotiating table as agreed. That's he only way out of this.

The article I linked actually debunked earlier reports that the Russian were massing troops at the border. Perhaps now they really are but we can see that the US State Department was lying about it before I'm not sure what to believe now. Ukraine will be destroyed though if Russia does invade the country, you can rest assured of that. They had better ratify an autonomy agreement with those breakaway republics soon I would say.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Per wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:20 am

I would be in favor of scrapping Nordstream 2 as well Per. Let the EU freeze their asses off this winter. No ,more long term contracts with Gazprom for countries like Italy, Hungary, and Moldova either. Let's tear those up too, Russia has all the market it needs in Asia for it's resources. And by the way, Ukraine is finished as a gas transit state in 2024. And they can't afford to siphon Russian gas from their pipeline now at European prices as they have been doing. They're in serious trouble this winter.

But yes, it's time to cut Europe off from Russian energy supplies. I completely agree.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Per wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:29 am Btw, the "Donbass Republics" can most easily be described as Ukrainian traitors, financed by Russia, that are attempting to cut off part of the Ukraine and hand it to Russia. These are no legitimate "republics" but Russian subversion, trying to undermine the independence and sovereignty of Ukraine.

It's basically the same thing that they've been doing in Georgia. It's divide and conquer.

The leaders should be locked up in prison and the concerns of the Donbass population at large should be handled through ballots in local and national elections. Armed uprisisngs are not a legitimate way to conduct business in a democracy. Use ballots, not bullets.

All negotiations with the"Donbass Republics" should be about things going back to normal.
Those are Russian people Per, and the Luhansk and Donetsk people are reacting to a 2014 coup of Ukrainian nationalists including neo nazis backed by the US that were threatening to ban their language among other 'Ukrainization' goodies. Of course we shouldn't be surprised by the US and NATO backing nazis when it serves their purpose after what we saw in Syria with the US and NATO and their regional partners like Turkey, Qatar and Saudi Arabia arming and financing al Qaeda's 'moderate rebel' head choppers. It's America's moveable feast of terrorists that always seems to show up wherever a color revolution is being hatched in the State Department, complete with fleet of shiny new white Toyota pickup trucks, hilariously. The absolute depravity of their foreign policy knows no bounds. And the failure of their violent interventions around the Muslim world is universal. Twenty years of war in Afghanistan and they steal they all of the money in the Afghan treasury on the way out the door and leave like thieves in the night. Russia, China and the other neighbors are left to help them pick up the pieces. Disgusting.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Sergey Lavrov's assessment of the current situation in Ukraine:

el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:01 am Sergey Lavrov's assessment of the current situation in Ukraine:

[youtube]zelHi7aIebc[youtube]
Yeah, well, and I’m sure we can all agree to consider Lavrov a credible source... :lol:

Here’s the latest on the Russian troop buildup on the Western border:

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Per wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:20 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:01 am Sergey Lavrov's assessment of the current situation in Ukraine:

[youtube]zelHi7aIebc[youtube
Yeah, well, and I’m sure we can all agree to consider Lavrov a credible source... :lol:

Here’s the latest on the Russian troop buildup on the Western border:

If these troop movements are true, I think they're in response to the NATO exercises in the Black Sea. The two sides seem to be pursuing a strategy that involves keeping the pressure on the other side, not letting them ever relax. I know the Russians believe time is on their side in this game, but we'll see what happens.

Let's hope it doesn't come to war, that would be bad for everyone.
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

This is what happens without "The Donald" around. :(
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

This is creepy.

Watching Finland play Russia in the Channel One Cup in Moscow.

The Russians have opted for vintage jerseys, so rather than Россия they say CCCP on the chest...! :shock:

Kind of like Germany deciding to play against Poland in nazi uniforms.... :crazy:

Sending a message to all breakaway republics surrounding the motherland. :devil:
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Per wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:27 am This is creepy.

The Russians have opted for vintage jerseys, so rather than Россия they say CCCP on the chest...! :shock:

Kind of like Germany deciding to play against Poland in nazi uniforms.... :crazy:

Sending a message to all breakaway republics surrounding the motherland. :devil:
Oh I doubt the breakaway republics would be watching a Finland Russia match Per. Even if they were, it's nothing new, Russian hockey teams have worn the retro jersey recently as well.

BTW, Vlad and Finnish President Niinisto had a very friendly conversation over the phone this past week, wishing each other a merry Christmas according to the readout. Relations between the two countries couldn't be better ;)
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:33 pm

Oh I doubt the breakaway republics would be watching a Finland Russia match Per. Even if they were, it's nothing new, Russian hockey teams have worn the retro jersey recently as well.

BTW, Vlad and Finnish President Niinisto had a very friendly conversation over the phone this past week, wishing each other a merry Christmas according to the readout. Relations between the two countries couldn't be better ;)
Oh, they certainly could, if eg Russia would return the 20% of Finland they annexed after WW2, including the most fertile area of Finland, their second biggest city, one of the largest nickel ores in the world and Finland’s arctic sea coast.

That being said, the Finns are masters of a do-not-rock-the-boat strategy when it comes to Russia. And Russia is one of their main trading partners. They are also well aware that there are more people in the St Petersburg area alone than in Finland, and it’s only a two hour drive to the border. The Finns rarely criticise Russia in public.

But ask any finn what they really think of Russians...
A hint: the worst insult you can give a Finn is to call him ”rysse” which is a derogative term for Russian.

And hockey is pretty big in all of Latvia, Estonia, Belarus, Ukraine and Kazakstan. Not sure if they follow the Channel One Cup, but if they have nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon, sure. I mean, I tuned in. Finns won, btw, in ot. :thumbs:

Also, many nationalistic Russians consider Finland a breakaway republic as well, as they were part of Russia between 1809 and 1917, but took the chance to declare independence during the Russian revolution. Finland declared themselves an independent nation on Dec 6th 1917 and Lenin’s government recognised their independence in February of 2018. Then Stalin tried to annex Finland again during WW2, but failed. But they managed to steal roughly 20% of it.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Per wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:17 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:33 pm

Oh, they certainly could, if eg Russia would return the 20% of Finland they annexed after WW2, including the most fertile area of Finland, their second biggest city, one of the largest nickel ores in the world and Finland’s arctic sea coast.

That being said, the Finns are masters of a do-not-rock-the-boat strategy when it comes to Russia. And Russia is one of their main trading partners. They are also well aware that there are more people in the St Petersburg area alone than in Finland, and it’s only a two hour drive to the border. The Finns rarely criticise Russia in public.

But ask any finn what they really think of Russians...
A hint: the worst insult you can give a Finn is to call him ”rysse” which is a derogative term for Russian.

And hockey is pretty big in all of Latvia, Estonia, Belarus, Ukraine and Kazakstan. Not sure if they follow the Channel One Cup, but if they have nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon, sure. I mean, I tuned in. Finns won, btw, in ot. :thumbs:

Also, many nationalistic Russians consider Finland a breakaway republic as well, as they were part of Russia between 1809 and 1917, but took the chance to declare independence during the Russian revolution. Finland declared themselves an independent nation on Dec 6th 1917 and Lenin’s government recognised their independence in February of 2018. Then Stalin tried to annex Finland again during WW2, but failed. But they managed to steal roughly 20% of it.
Actually most of northern Russia once belonged to Finnic peoples who still remain there as minorities.

Alex Ovechkin's mother belongs to one of these peoples. The Finns originally came from the Volga River basin. The neo nazi ideology in western Ukraine actually seizes on this Finnic element as something that makes the Russians less white than Ukrainians.

Interesting discussion Per, sorry I can't chat longer but I'm currently watching the Abby Canucks play the Henderson Silver Knights online. Maybe we'll pick it up later ;)
el rey del mambo