What are you drinking?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

What are you drinking?

Post by 2Fingers »

Tonight I tried a new whiskey.

On a recommendation I bought a bottle of 12 year Old Pulteney.

Very nice, very smooth.

I also have a bottle of 17 year old Hibiki from Japan, this still is not available in Canada but it is coming soon. Tried the 21 year old but didn't like the taste.

Next bottle will be Glenfarclas 17.

Nothing better after a long day than pouring a little into a glass and sit back an enjoy.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by 2Fingers »

since this is a party of one, tonight it was beer followed by some Vodka, Grey Goose.

Now back to Hibiki.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Medication has kept me from any booze in over two months.

But I'm pretty much just a beer drinker now. Oatmeal Stouts, Vanilla Porters, various dark beers.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I've never gone in much for the single malt scotch.....too dry for me.

Lately moving away from the Irish whiskey and Canadian rye's and towards bourbons and dark rums. As far as the Canadian stuff goes I still enjoy Wiser's Small Batch or Special blend. Maker's Mark has proven to be a good bourbon that is on the affordable side. Also quite liking The Kraken of late.
Last edited by Meds on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

AC&C's dissolved in water. decant the the solids and drink the liquid.

Codine for the cough suppressant and overall body aches of the fucking bug I caught in Vancouver.

......and vanilla in beer is a crime, but I'd put oatmeal stout in burgers for Rats.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Thnx tops...for me its

Classic
Dew
Dr.P
Dark roast... :drink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Back on the Old Fashions, it's the only way to fly. This time went with Woodford Reserve Kentucky Bourbon instead of Buffalo Trace.

Its the Only Way To Fly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i415QwSj0Og

Also bought a bottle of Hendricks. Right Proper Gin, dat.

....and 16 Year old Glenlivet

A good mix of beer to dumb it down

A Pinot Noir from France and a nice $50.00 Chianti. Went all out on the Chianti. Was torn between that and a SuperTuscan or an Amarone. Almost bit on a Barolo, a little too rich for my blood.

oh and a pinot griggio for cooking risotto tomorrow night.

set for christmas, baby!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I like my beer to taste like beer, dammit. No chocolate or vanilla for me.

Old Fashioneds are an old go to.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The super Tuscan or Amarone would be too much for the turkey dinner, you'll be good with the Chianti or Pinot Nero.

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:The super Tuscan or Amarone would be too much for the turkey dinner, you'll be good with the Chianti or Pinot Nero.
Ha, that's basically what the lady told me at Liberty Wines.

Hey what whites do you like to cook with, Topper. Cooking risotto tonight that calls for a cup of white wine. The risotto is a simple diced tomato mixed with broken up Italian Mild sausage, onion. Parmesan, butter and chopped up spinach mixed in at the end. I went with an unoaked Grigio from Italy
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Grigio is perfect for the risotto. Anything cheap and flavour neutral.. I also use it for making tomato sauce. There are some flavour elements of tomatoes that are alcohol soluble that are otherwise lost and a white for tomato sauce is better than a red because I don't like combination of tomatoes and tannin when cooking.

Great time of year for cooking wine. Folks are always dropping of a bottle of cheap undrinkable flavour by DuPont plonk in a gift bag.

With your risotto, once it is done, turn off the heat and then add the butter and stir in. If the heat is on the butter will separate and you'll end up with an oily mess.

But you knew that, risotto is in your blood.

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Thanks for that Topper, yeah I always remove from heat and stir in parm, butter and spinach after. I ain't the greatest cook but getting better

I agree about reds vs whites when it comes to tomato sauces, learned that awhile ago through trial and error, advice and trying new Italian recipes. Been doing a lot of David Rocco's recipes lately. Trying my hand at Thai/Malaysian recipes lately. A little trickier, lots of lime, lemon grass and funny noodles. What's the deal with fish sauce, :)

Cheers

Merry Xmas