Israeli–Palestinian conflict

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Israeli–Palestinian conflict

Post by Topper »

Unfortunately the radical Islamist Hamas chooses to to use the fine upstanding citizenry of Palestine as human shields
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:15 am Unfortunately the radical Islamist Hamas chooses to to use the fine upstanding citizenry of Palestine as human shields
Do you have proof beyond the claims of the IDF? That Hamas is actually using human shields?

This latest building dropped by the IDF apparently housed Hamas offices as well as two media outlets, the Associated Press and Aljazeera.

Are we supposed to believe that two separate media companies with offices full of reporters coexist in the same building as a Hamas who are rabidly burning the midnight oil on how to destroy Israel?

That’s an interesting place to hide a secret office to plan to carry out illegal terrorist attacks on Israel. Right next to not one but two media outlets.

Or is possible that that building had sophisticated communication equipment and antanae that can no longer be used to report independently to the world what is happening independent of either the IDF or Hamas

The CEO of AP sure wants to know. He apparently is among many who are calling bullshit.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Not exactly what I had I mind for a non biased source but okay let’s roll with it.

Yael Halon says she doesn’t believe AP didn’t know there was a Hamas terrorist cell right under their noses.

she throws shade at the AP inferring there is some kind of nefarious partnership between international media and Hamas to make Israel look bad.

She provides an old article from the last dust up 7-8 years ago that meanders through a bevy of half assed mind numbing hearsay until she gets to:
The AP staff in Gaza City would witness a rocket launch right beside their office, endangering reporters and other civilians nearby—and the AP wouldn’t report it, not even in AP articles about Israeli claims that Hamas was launching rockets from residential areas.
This quote may or may not be true, there is no way to know for sure but either way it all it proves is that sometimes reporters get guns pointed at them when they cover wars.

It does NOT prove that this AP office and its CEO Pruitt knew that Hamas was operating out of the same building they were in yesterday.

This article is exactly the same old bullshit excuse trotted out time after time. Any criticism of Israel’s actions in Palestine is antisemetic therefore if you have a problem with Israel occupying Palestine for 54 years it must be you

Sorry topper but this is not convincing in the slightest. The only thing we know for sure today is that building and the AP and aljazeera’s ability to report to the world what the most powerful military in the region is doing when no one is looking is gone.

I did however learn one new thing from you today though Topper,

Yael is Hebrew for Nubian Ibex ...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ukcanuck wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:03 pm
Is it pronounced "Y'all"?
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:08 pm
ukcanuck wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:03 pm
Is it pronounced "Y'all"?
YouTube K pronounces it "sweetheart"

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

AP reporter says they were Luckey to get out alive.

Netanyahu replies, "it wasn't luck".

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:10 pm
They are free to come and go from Gaza to Egypt (and the world beyond).

And from the West Bank to Jordan (and the world beyond).
Well, sure, assuming they hold citizenship somewhere and have passports.

Sadly, most countries do not recognise a Palestinian state, so they are considered”state-less” and they do not issue Palestinian passports.
Thus no airline will allow then to board a plane, and even if they manage to get across the border to Jordan or Egypt, they will have a very hard time getting anywhere else.

My eldest daughter had a class mate, Swedish citizen with Palestinian background, who went to visit relatives in the Gaza strip, for xmas (yes, solme Palestinians are Christian) when Israel and Egypt suddenly both decided to shut down all borders. She missed most of the semester before finally managing to get across to Egypt and then home.

And she was a Swedish citizen with a Swedish passport.

Works for a local TV-station now. I see her on TV every now and then.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:31 am

Well, sure, assuming they hold citizenship somewhere and have passports.

Sadly, most countries do not recognise a Palestinian state, so they are considered”state-less” and they do not issue Palestinian passports.
Thus no airline will allow then to board a plane, and even if they manage to get across the border to Jordan or Egypt, they will have a very hard time getting anywhere else.

My eldest daughter had a class mate, Swedish citizen with Palestinian background, who went to visit relatives in the Gaza strip, for xmas (yes, solme Palestinians are Christian) when Israel and Egypt suddenly both decided to shut down all borders. She missed most of the semester before finally managing to get across to Egypt and then home.

And she was a Swedish citizen with a Swedish passport.

Works for a local TV-station now. I see her on TV every now and then.
Agreed, it is very difficult to cross from the Palestinian territories to Egypt or Jordan.

Those countries severely scrutinize everyone who tries to do so.

Per, I can't tell you how awesome it is to see you back posting again, you're golden in my books brother. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

ukcanuck wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:34 am They are virtual prisoners in a large concentration camp.

The Israelis have held the Palestinians in this kind of camp for 54 years.
"Prisoners" and "concentration camp" implies they aren't free to leave.

Just another UK lie.

But most of them choose to stay (except for holidays) because they are spoiled rotten with free stuff...

That's some concentration camp! :lol:

But hey, you spin a nice yarn...
🥸
Last edited by ukcanuck on Mon May 17, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ukcanuck wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:19 pm
🥸
UK on days that end in "day":

If you need air...call it in
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:26 pm
ukcanuck wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:19 pm
🥸
UK on days that end in "day":

I keel you !!!

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:26 am
Agreed, it is very difficult to cross from the Palestinian territories to Egypt or Jordan.

Per, I can't tell you how awesome it is to see you back posting again, you're golden in my books brother. :thumbs:
:blush:

Well, I do enjoy our battles as well, otherwise I probably wouldn’t be spending so much time posting about politics on a god damned hockey talk bulletin board in a different hemisphere.

However, even though my strength is improving - last Monday I could not stand on my own two feet, now I can walk 120 metres in an external gallery with my oxygen level just barely going below 90 and bouncing back to 94-95 within minutes - I still tire very easily, and will only be seen here spradically.

Instead I refer you to my substitute:

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Per wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:25 am However, even though my strength is improving - last Monday I could not stand on my own two feet, now I can walk 120 metres in an external gallery with my oxygen level just barely going below 90 and bouncing back to 94-95 within minutes - I still tire very easily, and will only be seen here spradically.
Glad to hear your improving! :D

Here's a LINK to an article you might like. Interesting results from 'breathwork' to help recovery.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:25 am
Strangelove wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:26 am

:blush:

Well, I do enjoy our battles as well, otherwise I probably wouldn’t be spending so much time posting about politics on a god damned hockey talk bulletin board in a different hemisphere.
This is how it should be, lefties and righties battling it out, but with civility, mutual respect, and humour.

Today's American politicians should take note! :wink:

Damn Per, I thought we lost you, it made me appreciate you all the more...
____
Try to focus on someday.