Kneecaps

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Kneecaps

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:
Topper wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: It amazing that otherwise intelligent people can't see that the economic downturns that have coincided with the few NDP governments have been engineered by big business and resource industries
Sure, Bill 31 was a creation of the resource industry.

CORE was also their creation I assume.

Ohdee's bullshit is more believable.
I know you don't believe it topper, you believe that poor are lazy and deserve their fate, you believe that you shouldn't have to help those who are needy because, you believe in the phrase " I'm alright jack"

You believe that kids with learning disabilities should be warehoused in order to keep them away from your child.
And don't raise taxes to do it either,ale the bastards pay for their own bullet and bill the family eh :)
Trying to find a balance is impossible.

A large part of the population of our society essentially wants to see the government provide a way for them to live a life of irresponsibility, maximum pleasure and minimum work. They think that money grows on trees and they should just reap all the benefits. It's a ton of bullshit.

Listen to the liberal side when asked about budgets and the economy. The NDP essentially said just spend and spend and operate at a deficit. :shock:

Wasn't it Justin Trudeau who said the budget will eventually balance itself? :roll: (Yeah, I know he's Federal and not Provincial).

So just tax the shit out of everyone and hope that the wealthy don't exercise their free right to leave and protect their assets as best they can?

I think that health care and education should be at the top of the expense sheet.....but how do you pay for that? It's like they have no concept of economics.

People in the private sector are always going to be against the left wing public loving governments until such a time as those governments grow a brain and learn how to steer the ship a little closer to center.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ukcanuck wrote:
Topper wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: It amazing that otherwise intelligent people can't see that the economic downturns that have coincided with the few NDP governments have been engineered by big business and resource industries

I know you don't believe it topper, you believe that poor are lazy and deserve their fate, you believe that you shouldn't have to help those who are needy because, you believe in the phrase " I'm alright jack"

You believe that kids with learning disabilities should be warehoused in order to keep them away from your child.
And don't raise taxes to do it either,ale the bastards pay for their own bullet and bill the family eh :)
You don't know what I believe.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Topper wrote:

You don't know what I believe.
That's true, but I know what you said in the past
And it's not hard to infer from that "mr kneecaps" :)
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Topper wrote:

And don't raise taxes to do it either, make the bastards pay for their own bullet and bill the family for the funeral eh :)
Trying to find a balance is impossible.

A large part of the population of our society essentially wants to see the government provide a way for them to live a life of irresponsibility, maximum pleasure and minimum work. They think that money grows on trees and they should just reap all the benefits. It's a ton of bullshit.

Listen to the liberal side when asked about budgets and the economy. The NDP essentially said just spend and spend and operate at a deficit. :shock:

Wasn't it Justin Trudeau who said the budget will eventually balance itself? :roll: (Yeah, I know he's Federal and not Provincial).

So just tax the shit out of everyone and hope that the wealthy don't exercise their free right to leave and protect their assets as best they can?

I think that health care and education should be at the top of the expense sheet.....but how do you pay for that? It's like they have no concept of economics.

People in the private sector are always going to be against the left wing public loving governments until such a time as those governments grow a brain and learn how to steer the ship a little closer to center.
This is what I'm talking about Mëds,

It's called the cycle of poverty. It's generational and burdens young people with zero upward mobility and shackles many with mental illness and substance abuse from the womb.
They grow up enough significantly disadvantaged and have more children who do the same.

These people can't hold down jobs and they are victims and they must be looked after in a tolerant society.

No matter what some of our less tolerant citizens would like.

Making it sound like there is a zombie apocalypse of welfare bums just waiting for hand outs and throw us all into bankruptcy is only fear mongering by those that don't feel a responsibility.

At the end of the day, the entire budget for the ministry of social development is 2.4B a year out of a total 40 billion dollar budget.
That is not onerous.

(That's 2.4B for the entire social services budget not just income assistance)

http://www.bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/Annual_Re ... ry/msd.pdf

Just doesn't sound like a zombie apocalypse coming to bankrupt the economy does it

Barely 5%...

Put another way , out of a GDP of 215 billion, money diverted to the poor accounts for about 1%

Still think it's such a huge issue if the left want to spend a little more to ease peoples suffering.

Think about the cost of crime? How much would we save if fewer people had to steal your shit to survive?

As for big business running away to avoid their share...

Are they taking the trees, the oil and gas the gold, copper and coal out of the ground with them?

They can threaten and they do manipulate like a bastard when it comes to it, but at the end of the day if voters did not buy the bullshit and allow them there scare tactics they will have to come back when they have raped everywhere else first.

In the mean time, no one is asking for them to hand over the means of production a la Karl Marx. Just a better piece of the pie for social programs is all. Nothing drastic.

A great example:

Topper points out that good ol Dave Barrett once tried to make mines pay taxes for the total wealth of a mine a company owned, not for what they pull out of the ground in any particular year. Sounds completely in business like on the surface.

But it seems to me the mines have themselves a tidy little line of credit they are paying no interest on.

They know the total worth of the ore in that mine and they can calculate world prices and make withdrawals as they need to. Plus they can bank on that value and borrow against it. They own the licence to it, no one else can touch it and the province share?
Not so much..

I think ol Barrett was on to something there.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

#BREAKING: BC Nurses Union will make "major announcement" regarding teacher's strike tomorrow morning
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Will Deb Macpherson be front and centre ? The nurses are well compensated and they can make all the fucking announcements they want. They are an essential service so their lip service will do little other than fire up an already angry govt.

As Ferris Bueller said ; "I've said it before , I'll say it again" : The Teamsters ( Longshoremen) are the ONLY union in the province with any teeth. Any of the other unions these days are little more than a paper tiger . I know unioncanuck is not happy with this but it is the cold, hard truth.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Will Deb Macpherson be front and centre ? The nurses are well compensated and they can make all the fucking announcements they want. They are an essential service so their lip service will do little other than fire up an already angry govt.

As Ferris Bueller said ; "I've said it before , I'll say it again" : The Teamsters ( Longshoremen) are the ONLY union in the province with any teeth. Any of the other unions these days are little more than a paper tiger . I know unioncanuck is not happy with this but it is the cold, hard truth.
Nurses are overworked, short staffed and underpaid.

And they too a victims of the carcinoma they call the BC Liberals.

I would love to see a general strike, a students strike and a parent protest all at once. Fuck this party up permanently. Frankly I'd rather the BC Conservative party got all your righty votes. At least they got the balls to call themselves what they are.

These drunk driving, lying, cheating stacks of shit need to go...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I'll bet they are all closet leaf fans too...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Nurses are overworked, short staffed and underpaid.

I would love to see a general strike, a students strike and a parent protest all at once. Fuck this party up permanently. Frankly I'd rather the BC Conservative party got all your righty votes. At least they got the balls to call themselves what they are.

OKAY RABBLE-ROUSER LET'S GO...

Relax, nurses are probably just gonna offer up financial support...
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Haha :)
It's still not even preseason...

On a different note, played my second beer league game here in Dubai.

It's strange playing with Russians, swedes, and Fins as well as the boys from back home.

Russians are strange ..
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: It's called the cycle of poverty. It's generational and burdens young people with zero upward mobility and shackles many with mental illness and substance abuse from the womb.
They grow up enough significantly disadvantaged and have more children who do the same.

These people can't hold down jobs and they are victims and they must be looked after in a tolerant society.

No matter what some of our less tolerant citizens would like.
I'm cherry picking this snippet of your post, but just because it is the crux of much of the problem.

I recognize that there are people with mental illness and people who have a disadvantage from childhood.....but it is too easy to lump children, and even adults, into this category as an excuse for laziness or poor parents.

The number of kids who get "diagnosed" as having ADHD or some other form of mental illness is skyrocketing. Some of this is due to recognition and awareness.....LOTS more has to do with parents who don't put the time into their kids, and teens/young adults who would rather not put the effort into life.

From what I've read in Topper's posts when he mentions his son, and also reading between the lines a little in other posts, he's a pretty switched on dad who engages with his child. So he's going to get fed up quickly with the expenses and shit that dumps into special needs when he can probably see clearly that a lot of it has to do with parents who would rather let their kids slack off and dump the half of the responsibility of raising their children onto teachers.

Even his comment about ESL.....ummm.....hello.....we are an English speaking country. The number of children entering into the public school system who were born here in Canada that have no, or very little, grasp of English is laughable.

But now I'm rabbit-trailing.

The bottom line is that painting many people as victims gives them an easy way out. It's stupid. Any parent can get their child diagnosed with ADHD or some other learning disorder just by feeding the kid a steady diet of sugar and video games. They just paint a bad picture to the doctor and exaggerate the natural energy that every child has.....boom. Instant learning disability.

The kid is only a victim of his parent, and society's, desire for the quick fix and soft landing for everyone.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Will Deb Macpherson be front and centre ? The nurses are well compensated and they can make all the fucking announcements they want. They are an essential service so their lip service will do little other than fire up an already angry govt.

Nurses are overworked, short staffed and underpaid.

My wife is a RN, she's NOT underpaid.

Can't argue with the "short staffed" though. But how much of that is because people don't want to wipe asses and change beds all of the time after 4 years of post-secondary schooling?

Sure more funding would help, to some extent, but where does this money come from?

I get a kick out of how you rant and wave a flag.....but you don't even live here anymore. Your information is all what you read and not what you experience or see first hand.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Dude I still got a home there, I still pay taxes there and I voted in the last provincial election

I think qualifies me as much as the next poster to rant about kneecapping.

And why so you insist on chasing red herrings ?
I already showed you that the amount of money going to support the poor (freeloaders) is minimal.

Why don't you cry about corporate welfare and crony capitalism?

That's where your attention is being diverted from.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ukcanuck wrote:A great example:

Topper points out that good ol Dave Barrett once tried to make mines pay taxes for the total wealth of a mine a company owned, not for what they pull out of the ground in any particular year. Sounds completely in business like on the surface.

But it seems to me the mines have themselves a tidy little line of credit they are paying no interest on.

They know the total worth of the ore in that mine and they can calculate world prices and make withdrawals as they need to. Plus they can bank on that value and borrow against it. They own the licence to it, no one else can touch it and the province share?
Not so much..

I think ol Barrett was on to something there.
Wrong

The in situ value of a deposit is $0.

It only has value when it is extracted. Reserves go up and down with metal prices. The easiest way to increase the reserves of a deposit is to have the commodity price increase. The fastest way to close a mine is have commodity prices drop.

What grade of a commodity is economic to mine? It depends on the commodity price. If you add a tax on the mine, you effectively lower the commodity price, you therefore lower the mine reserves.

You will also stifle exploration. Why try to find something if it immediately adds to your tax burden before it is in production.

Would you agree to a tax on your savings account?

Example, Galore Creek Deposit in north western BC, Teck and their partner were spending several hundred million a year doing engineering and environmental studies, detailed exploration, constructing road access to the site...... They flew in a 300+ man camp, they had the worlds largest heavy lift helicopter bringing in heavy equipment to the site.

All for the detailed work that would get the project into the mine development stage and mine permitting process.

Then Teck's economists downward adjusted their long term outlook on the prices of copper and gold.

The project, overnight, went into engineering care and maintenance with only exploration being carried out.

Another example, an exploration project I have been involved in for the past decade was optioned from us by a major international mining company. Metal prices at the time were escalating, every six months,we would get updated long term projected metal values from their economists to use in our in house reserve estimates and they were always increasing. Up until two years ago when commodity prices began to fall and few saw it coming. The project went from being one of BC largest exploration projects (~$7million/year budget, 20,000m drilling/yr over four years) to being completely shuttered as gold prices fell and the company began to loose money.

Another example, Highland Valley Copper - Canada's largest copper mine and one of the largest open pit operations in the world, south of Kamloops, just outside of Logan Lake. It was due to close in 2002 having exhausted it's ore. Further exploration, a better understanding of the geology and increased commodity prices (from the historic average of $0.90/lb Cu) have Teck still operating and projecting a 2020+ for end of mine life.

So tell me UK, what is the value of the deposit in the ground?

Tell me UK, would you put your money in a bank in a country that taxes your savings account?

Red Commie Dave was was killing investment in BC and jobs for British Columbians.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

My sister the special needs TA is getting $70/day to picket for two hours with the teachers. $35/hr??????? WTF

She's not BCTF, she's CUPE.

Mëds, you're right, we do spend a lot of time with our kid, but I don't see him much different than his peers. Could be because his peers also have parents who spend time with their kids.

Jesus christo folks, read to your kids. If you don't have time to read to your kids, life is wrong.