The Ukraine

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

The Ukraine

Post by Per »

What a mess. :(

Anyone else thinking of the 1936 Berlin Olympics?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Re: The Ukraine

Post by Topper »

Somuchi for the Special Olympics

Crimea river.

As much as the Ukranians don't want Russia, well at least the northwest half of the country, all their options for leadership are corrupt.

Question is, do they build a wall.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

It'd be neat if every winner at the Paralympics would wave the Ukrainian flag at the podium... Spit in Putin's face.

Then again.
In 1938 Hitler saw himself forced to intervene to protect the German minority in Czechoslovakia.
If that reasoning was valid then, I guess we must cut Putin some slack for doing the same thing.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

The so called "Russian minority" hasn't been threatened. This is simply Putin wanting to control the territories around him. If he can't do it with puppet governments he invades. His hero Uncle Joe starved millions of Ukrainians in the 1930s. Vladdy will not hesitate to do the same. He has done a complete 180 from insisting on diplomacy to solve the situation in Syria.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Listercat wrote:The so called "Russian minority" hasn't been threatened. This is simply Putin wanting to control the territories around him. If he can't do it with puppet governments he invades. His hero Uncle Joe starved millions of Ukrainians in the 1930s. Vladdy will not hesitate to do the same. He has done a complete 180 from insisting on diplomacy to solve the situation in Syria.
I'm still nor sure we should assume Vlad's intensions are more malicious than Adolf's were... :drink:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

So Vlad spends $51B in PR money at the Olympics and blows any goodwill generated within a week. Unbelievable.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, the West does about this.

The Russians have taken advantage of their deep involvement in the Ukraine and I wonder if the US or the EU even have the will to do something like offer up significant political or economic aid. I wonder how much money the Ukraine owes Gazprom, for instance.
Listercat wrote:He has done a complete 180 from insisting on diplomacy to solve the situation in Syria.
Amazing how those principles only seem to apply when they suit him..
herb wrote:So Vlad spends $51B in PR money at the Olympics and blows any goodwill generated within a week. Unbelievable.
Well, does he even care about the goodwill outside of his sandbox?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

dbr wrote:
Listercat wrote:He has done a complete 180 from insisting on diplomacy to solve the situation in Syria.
John Kerry wrote:You just don’t invade another country on phony pretext in order to assert your interests.
It is pretty amazing.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:Well, does he even care about the goodwill outside of his sandbox?
Well, the Olympics probably weren't even about goodwill. Rather, they were about having a sparkly show to demonstrate to the world the kind of production Russia is capable of putting on and how much money they are capable of spending.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

dbr wrote:It will be interesting to see what, if anything, the West does about this.

The Russians have taken advantage of their deep involvement in the Ukraine and I wonder if the US or the EU even have the will to do something like offer up significant political or economic aid. I wonder how much money the Ukraine owes Gazprom, for instance.
herb wrote:So Vlad spends $51B in PR money at the Olympics and blows any goodwill generated within a week. Unbelievable.
Well, does he even care about the goodwill outside of his sandbox?
Because Amerika was so right about the illegal invasion of Iraq and it's illegal drone wars...give me a fucking break ....all you Obama apologists... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

At least there were moral grounds for getting rid of Saddam.What Putin is doing in the Ukraine is carrying on the same old Soviet paranoia. Were the Ukrainians sending terrorists into Russia or funding them? Obama apologist?? Give me a break Spidey.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Listercat wrote:At least there were moral grounds for getting rid of Saddam.What Putin is doing in the Ukraine is carrying on the same old Soviet paranoia. Were the Ukrainians sending terrorists into Russia or funding them? Obama apologist?? Give me a break Spidey.
Moral grounds? Now give me a fucking break. You have to be one of the most ignorant posters on here Listerine, do your homework. Bush made up the WMDs, Saddam was their man they backed and he kept the Sunni and Shai from killing each other (he also allowed the Jews to live in peace in Baghdad). Compare that now and the two tribes go to war and are free to kill each other en mass.

Stop learning about the world through Call of Duty and get out and talk to some people that lived through it (and I don't mean the cowardly baby killing Yanks).

Obama is a war criminal no better than the Bushmen. Killing Americans (and innocent civilians) with no trial by drone is the most cowardly act in human history.....and he judges Putin?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I hope this thread brings Red back.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Saddam gassing Kurds isn't immoral or cowardly? Saddam's idol was Uncle Joe FFS. Spidey you talk out your ass under the illusion that you are smarter than everyone else. I got news you aren't. If you can't talk rationally about an issue without personal attacks then stay out of it.