Moving to Lethbridge

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Moving to Lethbridge

Post by The Brown Knight »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Thanks again TBK

I lived in Okotoks before we moved here(VCR island) and also spent a winter in Whitehouse so I am very familiar with winter...

Btw, I don't plug in until at least -25

You are confirming much of what I had heard as well and all things do look rosy I suppose. We ended up choosing the west side as well.

I look forward to converting the heathen anti-canuck ignoramuses as well. On a mission
Oh ok nice. You definitely know more about Alberta than I do then, lol. Like I said, I only spent my 2012 there on a one year contract.

Funny that you mention Vancouver Island and Whitehorse.

I was born and raised on Vancouver Island (close to Nanaimo).

As far as Whitehorse goes, I almost accepted a position up there a after my 2012 contract in Lethbridge expired.

Northwestel made me an unbelievable offer and I almost accepted it. I didn't realize that the lifestyle and benefits of Whitehorse in general were so off the hook! Lol.

Re - ignoramuses in Lethbridge. From my experience, the people in Lethbridge were unbelievably nice. Even though most made it clear that they weren't Canuck fans, I found them to be respectful and logical in hockey discussions (I.e. Great respect for the twins, but usually mentioned the fact that they often found it difficult to play at the same level during the playoffs.........which I agree with by the way).

The only idiotic "sisters" comments came from Calgarians when I was up there.

I also don't advise listening to 960 "The Fan" very much while down there. Don't know what it's like now but back then, half of the hockey talk there revolved around Canuck bashing. Luckily, the Jim Rome show made 960 "The Fan" atleast somewhat decent.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:Wasn't Brokeback Mountain filmed in that area?
It was in 2012 :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

good for free-skiing :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

You have good access to mountains. Waterton and Glacier in addition to what has been mentioned. I love the trip through Glacier to the Kalispel/Whitefish area. Make sure to stop at the Park Cafe. Pie for strength and all that.

I'm in the Hat and grew up in the area. I see Lethbridge as just a larger version of Medicine Hat with way more LDS. Yes it is windy, but you also get chinooks there and more hours of sunshine than most places in the country.

We also have more Rider fans than any other team. For Hockey, no monopoly but probably more Flames than others. Not unusual to see Canuck logos plus Jets, leaves, Habs. Oiler colors are not a prevalent as they used to be.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

The Brown Knight wrote: I also don't advise listening to 960 "The Fan" very much while down there. Don't know what it's like now but back then, half of the hockey talk there revolved around Canuck bashing.
Agreed. At least I don't hear call-ins where I would expect an audio version of calpuck.

It was much more funny when Mike Richards was there. I like Rhett Warrener on there. As a guy who played the game, he adds some amount of rational thought process to the mix.
Qliao
AHL Prospect

Post by Qliao »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:I Has anyone lived there?
Yeah dude,

I lived there throughout all of 2012.

Depending on what you like to do, I think it's an extremely underrated area. Lots of nice hiking trails, and it has a lot of big city anemities. If you really crave the night life, then Calgary is only a 2 hour drive.

Gold's Gym is open 24/7, and there are a lot of marathon runners/cross-fit monkey's down there.

Medicine Hat is about 2 hours away heading East.

My recommendation is to live on the West side of Lethbridge (University of Lethbridge side). Very nice area.

Like rats said though - it is Windy as fuck over there.

Often times though - you'll get 4 good months of summers (atleast when I was there). September was like an August II.

Winters there are rough, but nothing compared to Calgary/Edmonton.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks for the insight.
You mention that it's nowhere near as bad as Edmonton or Calgary for winter weather. In what way do u mean? Calgary appears to me to have similar weather but can u clarify?
Calgary weather is so random though I'd take that comment with a pinch of salt....-40 yesterday but hell it could +10 tomorrow.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Well I am now officially a Lethbian.

So far it's always sunny, forecast says +17 for the next few days and am quite impressed with the size of the town. It has everything you could want and no rush hour whatsoever.

There are parks and green space in all the neighborhoods I've seen as well as a terrific river valley complete with bike paths everywhere.

All in all seems to be a much nicer place that you would expect.
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Well I am now officially a Lethbian.

So far it's always sunny, forecast says +17 for the next few days and am quite impressed with the size of the town. It has everything you could want and no rush hour whatsoever.

There are parks and green space in all the neighborhoods I've seen as well as a terrific river valley complete with bike paths everywhere.

LOL who are you trying to kid? :lol:

Wake up bud, you live in Lethbridge, YOU SUCK!

"no rush hour" :lol: :lol: :lol:

WOT a schmuck....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:

LOL who are you trying to kid? :lol:

Wake up bud, you live in Lethbridge, YOU SUCK!

"no rush hour" :lol: :lol: :lol:

WOT a schmuck....
Have fun inhaling Vancouver's exhaust pipes while finding your way through another 5 corner clusterfuck....
Been THERE done that too...and it sucked worse than almost anywhere else I've lived!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Self-hypnosis, yawn.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Remember to be proud and wear your Canucks jersey with pride over there. :D
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Don Quixote

another mad man chasing windmills
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Close..but substations not windmills.

The coastal rain did piss me off more than I thought it would've though...seems I forgot what chased me out of the lower mainland originally...
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Coastal rain.....

This is a welcomed thing after 2 years in Alberta, And another few in mid- northern BC. Its in my blood after my entire life so far on the island...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I can dig why you feel that way...

4 months into an Alberta winter always makes a guy think about it but for me I prefer the sun and cold. It just became an issue this past winter and being in lake cow didn't help. Wettest place on earth I'd wager