Just Not ready

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3700
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:04 am

Re: Just Not ready

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:05 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:00 am
Mëds wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:22 am It’s high time we stopped with all the guilt and apologies and constant handouts.
Sooooo ... you want to cut off their water?
Never said that. Just responding to the content of your post.

The new $40B reconciliation deal should never have happened tho.
Cut the handouts = cut the water supply, no?
User avatar
Per
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8127
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Per »

Lol! Seems this was a hot topic! :D

I just thought the video was funny....
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11133
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:33 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:05 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:00 am
Mëds wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:22 am It’s high time we stopped with all the guilt and apologies and constant handouts.
Sooooo ... you want to cut off their water?
Never said that. Just responding to the content of your post.

The new $40B reconciliation deal should never have happened tho.
Cut the handouts = cut the water supply, no?
Not necessarily.

It's not guilt and apology to make sure that citizens of one's country have access to clean drinking water, nor do I see that as a handout.

However, for some of these communities, the reason they don't have water is because they never had it where they traditionally lived and they are making the choice to live in these places. These days it's all about unceded lands after all, no?

So realistically if a community of 500 people wants to live in the middle of nowhere, and they don't have a local source of drinking water, I don't see why taxpayers should be on the hook for mega projects to provide that locally for them.....whether that be pipeline or multi-million (billion?) dollar treatment plants. Small household systems are appropriate for a small community that is insistent upon staying put.

Now, if a government or industry contaminated the local drinking water source then the guilty party should be on the hook to make reparations.

What we're doing with all these handouts is not helping at all. We're creating a group of dependents at this point. There has to be some onus on the FN's to start making progress in the area of stewardship (and yes I know full well that not every band is the same as the next, nor is every individual the same as their neighbor, so I'm generalizing).
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 12563
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Cornuck »

Interesting article here that explains some of the problems.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... king-water
Certain communities, like Curve Lake, have issues with E coli in their water. Others, like Grassy Narrows, struggle with a legacy of toxic heavy metals, a remnant of negligent industry. In some cases, water is tainted by parasites and bacteria that occur naturally. In others, reactions between organic material and chemicals used to purify water can create unsafe water.
Enhanced scurry is my superpower.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 13846
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Just Not ready

Post by SKYO »

"Federal government has increased income taxes on middle class.

Since taking office in 2015, the Trudeau government has repeatedly claimed to have lowered personal income taxes for middle-class Canadians. However, recent data demonstrate that the government has not actually provided income tax relief to middle-class families and it continues to confuse government transfers with taxes."

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/article ... ddle-class
Time to move some pieces to retool for 2024 contending.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11133
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Meds »

In the face of the longest trucking convey the world has ever seen, with the facts showing that it is a group of people of various political party supporters, vaccination statuses, races, creeds, and genders, Justin Trudeau tells the media today that the convoy represents a "fringe minority" of citizens.

I wonder how much further he will push before the next convoy is an armed group of citizens who have decided to forcibly remove him from office? Or maybe that's what he wants so he has just cause to activate the military and declare martial law?

Would be interesting though. Canada's armed forces currently has 123,000 regular force members and 17,000 reservists. Most of the reservists I know would throw Trudeau out on his ass in a heartbeat. I would hope that a good chunk of our current enlisted people feel the same.

Fuck are we ever in some upside down and crazy times.....it's actually a bit terrifying. I never thought I would see Canada come to this point.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 14482
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 12563
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:12 am I wonder how much further he will push before the next convoy is an armed group of citizens who have decided to forcibly remove him from office? Or maybe that's what he wants so he has just cause to activate the military and declare martial law?
You seriously see this as a possible option?
Enhanced scurry is my superpower.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11133
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:43 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:12 am I wonder how much further he will push before the next convoy is an armed group of citizens who have decided to forcibly remove him from office? Or maybe that's what he wants so he has just cause to activate the military and declare martial law?
You seriously see this as a possible option?
Not as large of a group, but yes, I do based on the sentiments of MANY people in rural western Canada.

It's not the vaccine itself, it's the mandates and the passports that are strongly opposed. Some of the restrictions are sensible and even the most diehard of conspiracy theorist will do nothing more than balk at them and mutter as they accept it, but many of them have been too extreme.

Had they continued with the measures (as they did) but not implemented the passports, they would have faced far less resistance.

The gross potential for overreach and control via the passport system is frightening, and it's a Pandora's box that should not be have been opened.....fortunately it can still be closed, though it might take some pretty radical events for politicians to walk these back in Canada.

England has scrapped it. So it can be done without massive upheaval.
User avatar
Per
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8127
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:12 am Canada's armed forces currently has 123,000 regular force members and 17,000 reservists. Most of the reservists I know would throw Trudeau out on his ass in a heartbeat. I would hope that a good chunk of our current enlisted people feel the same.
If the army isn’t firmly on the side of democracy, that’s a huge problem and a disgrace.

I definitely hope you are wrong.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
User avatar
Per
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8127
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:08 am
Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:43 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:12 am I wonder how much further he will push before the next convoy is an armed group of citizens who have decided to forcibly remove him from office? Or maybe that's what he wants so he has just cause to activate the military and declare martial law?
You seriously see this as a possible option?
Not as large of a group, but yes, I do based on the sentiments of MANY people in rural western Canada.

It's not the vaccine itself, it's the mandates and the passports that are strongly opposed. Some of the restrictions are sensible and even the most diehard of conspiracy theorist will do nothing more than balk at them and mutter as they accept it, but many of them have been too extreme.

Had they continued with the measures (as they did) but not implemented the passports, they would have faced far less resistance.

The gross potential for overreach and control via the passport system is frightening, and it's a Pandora's box that should not be have been opened.....fortunately it can still be closed, though it might take some pretty radical events for politicians to walk these back in Canada.

England has scrapped it. So it can be done without massive upheaval.
I think what you are missing is that all these measures have been taken to combat the worst pandemic we have seen in a century and to save lives. No one has intended for them to stay in place. You already see some countries starting to roll them back.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11133
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:22 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:12 am Canada's armed forces currently has 123,000 regular force members and 17,000 reservists. Most of the reservists I know would throw Trudeau out on his ass in a heartbeat. I would hope that a good chunk of our current enlisted people feel the same.
If the army isn’t firmly on the side of democracy, that’s a huge problem and a disgrace.

I definitely hope you are wrong.
Democracy implies that the government is actually representing the people.

When the majority government received fewer total votes than the opposition, and when the Prime Minister is saying that the largest convoy in world history represents a "fringe minority group" who have "unacceptable opinions", I'd say that democracy has failed.

You don't live here Per. Please remember that.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11133
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:24 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:08 am
Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:43 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:12 am I wonder how much further he will push before the next convoy is an armed group of citizens who have decided to forcibly remove him from office? Or maybe that's what he wants so he has just cause to activate the military and declare martial law?
You seriously see this as a possible option?
Not as large of a group, but yes, I do based on the sentiments of MANY people in rural western Canada.

It's not the vaccine itself, it's the mandates and the passports that are strongly opposed. Some of the restrictions are sensible and even the most diehard of conspiracy theorist will do nothing more than balk at them and mutter as they accept it, but many of them have been too extreme.

Had they continued with the measures (as they did) but not implemented the passports, they would have faced far less resistance.

The gross potential for overreach and control via the passport system is frightening, and it's a Pandora's box that should not be have been opened.....fortunately it can still be closed, though it might take some pretty radical events for politicians to walk these back in Canada.

England has scrapped it. So it can be done without massive upheaval.
I think what you are missing is that all these measures have been taken to combat the worst pandemic we have seen in a century and to save lives. No one has intended for them to stay in place. You already see some countries starting to roll them back.
I live in a country where income tax was brought in to support the war effort in the 40's. It was supposed to be a temporary tax. It's still here and it's increased.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 14482
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Topper »

"small fringe minority whose views are unacceptable" is Trudeau's "basket of deplorables"
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Mickey107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 18820
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Mickey107 »

tutelage
Image
"evolution"
Post Reply