We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Meds »

Freedom Convoy 2022

75+ km long and growing. Almost to the point where the front of the convoy is entering Calgary while the ass end is just leaving Canmore.

$4.88M raised and increasing.

Going through Winnipeg apparently supporters were pulled over honking and waving on the opposite side of the highway for 20km long.

Trudeau and Co valiantly trying to ignore this as the Canadian media gives it almost zero coverage.

In the face of this Bonnie Henry and the BC Government have extended vaccine passports until June 30 (shocking right?).....you know, since they were supposed to only be until Jan 31. The woman (and her bosses) are pure evil.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Sorry, didn't include the globe or NP in my consideration, the NP because I knew they were covering and they aren't bought and paid for.

I didn't see it on the main page of ctvnews.ca, cbc.ca, or global. It also doesn't come up on my DDG search for those news entities.

Perhaps one of the largest peaceful protests in Canadian history, I would think it would be getting more front page news is all.

Do you not find it telling though that while something of this size is going on and getting as much social media support, as well as physical turnout, and the monetary contributions, that our government officials are pressing ahead and extending the vax passports? That the Labor minister announces that vaccines will be mandatory for all federally regulated industries (no timeline on that though).

This is absolutely messed up man. People should actually be scared about where this is heading for our country.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:27 pm
Sorry, didn't include the globe or NP in my consideration, the NP because I knew they were covering and they aren't bought and paid for.

I didn't see it on the main page of ctvnews.ca, cbc.ca, or global. It also doesn't come up on my DDG search for those news entities.

Perhaps one of the largest peaceful protests in Canadian history, I would think it would be getting more front page news is all.

Do you not find it telling though that while something of this size is going on and getting as much social media support, as well as physical turnout, and the monetary contributions, that our government officials are pressing ahead and extending the vax passports? That the Labor minister announces that vaccines will be mandatory for all federally regulated industries (no timeline on that though).

This is absolutely messed up man. People should actually be scared about where this is heading for our country.
Well, it's on the front page of the CTV, CBC, and Global websites now. Maybe it just didn't have enough steam yesterday or the day before.

Yeah, I'm not keen for the vaccine passports to be extended beyond what is necessary, but they do say they will drop them if they're not necessary.

Just they other week they had extended the ban on youth sports tournaments until Feb 16th, but today it was dropped and tournaments can begin again from February 1st. So I don't think the vax passport extension is necessarily all doom and gloom.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

For the past two years the goal of mandated social restrictions has been to reduce pressure on our healthcare system and keep it from being overwhelmed. Yesterday Bitch Bonnie announced the vax passport, a social mandate tool simply to increase vax rates, will continue to June 30th.

BCCDC report yesterday:

Past week cases (Jan. 17-23) - Total 13,537

Not vaccinated: 3,083 (22.8%)
Partially vaccinated: 774 (5.7%)
Fully vaccinated: 9,680 (71.5%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Jan. 10-23) - Total 1,118

Not vaccinated: 279 (25.0%)
Partially vaccinated: 51 (4.6%)
Fully vaccinated: 788 (70.4%)

So 77% of the reported cases are partially or fully vaccinated individuals and 75% of the hospitalizations are partially or fully vaccinated individuals.

They also report that nearly 93% of British Columbians are vaccinated to some degree with over 90% of adults double dosed.

The Government wonders why their restrictions are being opposed.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The vax passes are the endgame in this current scenario. On the surface it gave governments a tool for an "emergency situation", but now that it is in place it is one that can be segued into a system where they can limit an individual's access to various parts of society based on their own criteria. It's not a social credit system at this point like they have in China, but it's the first foot in the door for it and will easily be transitioned into that if people allow it to remain in place.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Deaths per 100,000 in the US, by vaccination status:

Unvaccinated. 9.74
Fully vaccinated, no booster 0.71
Fully vaccinated + booster 0.1

So you're almost 100x less likely to die if you get vaccinated and boosted.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/unit ... =~All+ages
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:23 pm Deaths per 100,000 in the US, by vaccination status:

Unvaccinated. 9.74
Fully vaccinated, no booster 0.71
Fully vaccinated + booster 0.1

So you're almost 100x less likely to die if you get vaccinated and boosted.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/unit ... =~All+ages
At first I was baffled; given that the USA has already almost 900,000 covid deaths, the death rate above would indicate a population of way over 9 billion people! Even if you just go by the unvaxxed rate. If you mix in the unvaxxed we're probably in the trillions! In the USA alone. :o

But then I clicked the link... OK, it is the weekly death rate. That makes so much more sense. :look:

If you look over the entire course of the pandemic the death rate in the US has been 269 per 100,000, or 0.3% of the entire population dying from covid thus far. Please note that this is not the risk of dying if you contract covid, that is even higher. This is from the total population, and afaik most estimates suggest less than half the population have had covid yet, so the risk of dying from contracted covid would be more than twice that.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... urden.html

Then again, the risk for serious illness from the omicron strain seems to be roughly half of what it was from the original strains, and with most of the population vaxxed, I do not expect the total death toll to double. It could probably stop somewhere around one million in total for the USA.

For the whole world the official death toll stands at 5.6 million right now, but most experts believe the true number is more than double that as the figures from dicatorships and third world countries are not reliable and even in functioning western democracies there seem to be severe underreporting, in the range of 10-30%. The Economist have extrapolated the numbers and estimate that the true death toll most likely is more than 20 million, and at the very least 12.2 million. Their 12-24 million estimate is of course far below the 20-50 million dead from the Spanish flu (and that at a time when the world only had one fifth of the population it has today) but still the deadliest pandemic we've seen since then.
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detai ... -estimates
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

With a less than 1% overall fatality rate that is heavily skewed to the elderly with co mortalities.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:43 am With a less than 1% overall fatality rate that is heavily skewed to the elderly with co mortalities.
Whenever this is mentioned, the unspoken message is that these people don't matter as much.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:52 am
Topper wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:43 am With a less than 1% overall fatality rate that is heavily skewed to the elderly with co mortalities.
Whenever this is mentioned, the unspoken message is that these people don't matter as much.
That's just the way you want to spin their intent, it's as much strawman as anything.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I just need the world to chill the fuck out enough where I can go down to the sun for a week without enduring the Spanish Inquisition from the Canada border Nazis upon my return.

Those cock suckers are out of control

Instead I should fly to Minnesota and run across that field where they are nice and score you free cheques and shit. I've watched enough middle East combat footage where my broken arabic, coupled with my new tan, should enable me to pass for a refugee long enough to get the gravy.

Better than a border guard enema
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Whenever this is mentioned, the unspoken message is that these people need strawmen to complete their virtue signalling.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:19 am
Whenever this is mentioned, the unspoken message is that these people need strawmen to complete their virtue signalling.
So why did you mention it then, if it's just an irrelevant fact?

In any case, it's no more virtuous to save old lives than to save young lives.