We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by donlever »

On the Island of Kauai is a little Hot Dog Shoppe nicked Puka Dogs.

This was the original (it has possibly expanded and inevitably turned for the worse) but they flogged "Hawaiian Style" Hot Dogs.

I am no longer, for many, many years, a hot dog eater..

...but...based on my boy Houlihans, of whom I spoke a couple of weeks back, recommendation I checked it out.

THIS, was the best Hot Dog I have ever had.

Barry actually tried to franchise it to Vancouver.

The purveyors wouldn't do it....
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Take a trip one summer to Waterton Lakes NP and check out Weiner's of Waterton. Those are the only hot dogs I'll ever eat again now that Willie Woozle went extinct
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The best hotdog I recalled ever eating was at a joint called Pinks in L.A.

Had to go with some locals because it was late at night... and well, I didn't want to get shot.

Also went to a pastrami place there. Again, late night. I still think about that particular meal.
Focus on the NOW
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Carl Yagro wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:36 pm That's pretty much what Japadog is. Great marketing.

Started out as a single stand in DT Van, competing against other local dog carts. I think it got the attention from visiting Japanese and Asian celebs and started to take off. Expanded to 3 carts, then a small location on Robson.

Meh. Just a fancy hotdog.

I wish you didn't post that image. Look at those ingredients. Corn syrup, an entire list of sodium additives that are known to kill you or cause great damage... but wait, we need to add a bright red dye to convince you how horrible this "food" is. I would just put a big red STOP sign on the packaging myself.
and no health mandated passport required to consume
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Buddy goes to pick up pizza for the kids post hockey practice last night.

Pizza place beside Raman place.

Raman joint you need passport to enter and/or eat.

Pizza Place you can not only enter undeterred but take a seat sans mask and chow down no problem.

Seems equitable....

Brain teaser.

Which place was busier?

...lofl @ Willie Woozle btw....completely forgot about that place...also well known for their malts as I recall?
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

donlever wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:14 pm

...lofl @ Willie Woozle btw....completely forgot about that place...also well known for their malts as I recall?
The Chef was a huge Willie Woozle fan and scorns the Orange Julius Industrial Complex for chasing old WW out of business
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

2Fingers wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:14 pm I did a little digging and I believe there are 510 ICU beds in BC, from this report the # of people in ICU from COVID account for 33%.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-new ... eds-in-b-c

Based upon yesterdays # there are 373 people in the hospital related to COVID (not sure if that includes ICU?). I have tried to find the actual number of beds available in BC but that seems more difficult than expected so not sure the % of beds directly assigned to COVID patients.

I am by far not at all an expert but does 373 people in the hospital really create that much a strain on our health system? To the point where nurses are saying they are overworked, hospitals are being overwhelmed etc. etc. What I do not see is a graph showing the # of people in the hospital for the past 5 years. I want to see historic numbers and compare it to today to have a true understanding of the impact on our health system.

I understand that some surgeries/meetings have been postponed/delayed because of COVID so some of those 373 beds would be used up by them. These are the operations that can be delayed (much to the chagrin of the patient).

I do believe that pre COVID we heard about hospital capacity was already at the max, there were waits for surgery. The current issues seems to have been there for years but is it now exacerbated by the # of COVID 19 patients?

Lastly - I would like to see the # of people in the hospital for the past 5 years with similar health issues related to colds/flus and other ailments.

Numbers can be made to represent any view point and it takes some significant sleuthing to just provide the historical facts to truly understand the impact of COVID on our health system.

Thank God it is Friday and Japadogs and beer on the menu for tonight.
You are correct about the 510 plus we have a little over 200 surge beds.

There are delays and cancellations of many things. The cancellations at this time are for minor or elective procedures and the delays in other procedures are likely due to the COVID measures that relate to cleaning and hygiene etc.

ICU's are definitely filling up, but they aren't full of COVID cases, COVID cases are simply contributing to the additional occupancies.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:14 pm Out here - we have these horrible things ...
Industrial shit, you don't have local butchers anymore?
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Cookie La Rue wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:26 am
Cornuck wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:14 pm Out here - we have these horrible things ...
Industrial shit, you don't have local butchers anymore?
Yes - we have a butcher in most of the towns around us - but since this is the "official" hot dog of the Cornhuskers, everyone serves them.
2022 - Playoff Bound
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

So what's the plan?

Quebec is about to lose 30% of it's nurses because they won't take the vaccine.

Other regions are facing similar (though perhaps not to the same level).

Train yards in some areas are backed up 10's of km waiting to be unloaded due to worker shortages - both because of people who would rather stay home and get paid a form of compensation or because they are prohibited by either employer or government authority from working without a vaccine.

The wait for ships to be unloaded at major ports is apparently now at least 10 days.

End of this month truckers who want to cross the Canada/US border will have to be vaccinated as they will no longer be given essential status exemptions.

On a local level the ambulance station I work at (as a casual now) is going to lose at least 6 people due to vaccination mandates and they already are losing 3 others to retirement and more to laterals out to full-time spots in other communities.

At what point do the "free-thinking" people of our society wake up and realize that our governments are massively shitting the bed in their management of this pandemic and that their draconian measures are what is causing all of these problems?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Aren't the ICU's 70-80% occupied by unvaxxed covid cases? At least this is how it looks in the news

The answer seems obvious I dunno
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:41 am Aren't the ICU's 70-80% occupied by unvaxxed covid cases? At least this is how it looks in the news

The answer seems obvious I dunno
Yu can't believe the media. They exaggerate and skew. The numbers they are reporting will not be accurate unless they are the numbers that were posted for the previous week. Hospital staff don't tell reporters how many of what kind of patients are in at any given time. It's done through official reporting, and anything beyond the official numbers that comes from the press will be from a "source" who may or may not be reliable.

In BC we have over 500 ICU beds plus over 200 surge beds.

Here's the official counts as per the BCCDC.

For the week ending Sept 11th there were 251 hospitalizations, 51 of them were ICU. There were 30 deaths.
For the week ending Sept 18th there were 274 hospitalizations, 71 of them were ICU. There were 33 deaths.
For the week ending Sept 25th there were 273 hospitalizations, 66 of them were ICU. There were 35 deaths.
For the week ending Oct 2nd there were 274 hospitalizations, 60 of them were ICU. There were 36 deaths.

It's probably safe to say that the all of the deaths were ICU patients.

As you cans see the most we have had in a single week over the past month is 274 admissions and 71 in ICU. From the way I have been shown that they count these numbers a Covid patient enters the hospital as an admission and is counted as 1 hospitalization in the total. They remain in the count until they are considered to be no longer infectious. The deaths are counted as deaths per week. Depending upon the patient they may still be in the hospital for monitoring and recovery but are no longer considered a Covid patient. Recognizing that some of the ICU admission in any given week could have been hospital admissions the previous week, and then factor in recoveries and discharges and deaths.

Our ICU's are not overflowing with Covid patients. In any given week we have not had more than 15% of our total ICU capacity taken up by Covid patients.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

At present there are 31 covid patients in intensive care in Swedish hospitals. At the peak of the first wave it reached 550.

Prior to the pandemic we had a total of 526 ICU beds in Sweden, but the alarming reports from Italy and elsewhere, of hospitals being overwhelmed, lead to a redirection of priorities in healthcare, and they managed to almost double the amount, to nearly 1000 ICU beds. This has caused a reduction in OR resources as both operating rooms and ICUs are staffed with anaesthesiologists and anaesthesia nurses, and the need for more ICU beds also lead to operating rooms being converted to ICU units, as they were already equipped with oxygen, etc.

Anyway, had we not done this, the Swedish hospitals would have been overwhelmed during the first wave. Thanks to the changes, we never exceded 80% of capacity, but the peak of the first wave required 105% of previous ICU capacity for covid patients alone, so it was a close call.

Hopefully we have ridden the storm out by now; all covid restrictions were removed on Sep 29th.
But I don't know. Right now they have surges in the UK, Finland and Russia, so I'm not sure we're out of the woods yet.

Oh, and while Sweden, Denmark and Norway have removed all covid restrictions and other countries like France and italy use covid passports for pretty much everything, the Finns have found an interesting middle ground:

In Finland covid restrictions remain in place. No gatherings of more than 30 people, restaurants must close at midnight and can only serve 75% of normal capacity or 50% if they serve alcohol, etc. BUT if an enterprise (restaurant/bar/sports arena/theatre) instead demands and checks covid passports of all clients, all restrictions are void.

So, you have a choice between letting your hockey stadium or theatre be open for all, and take in 30 spectators that are seated at a distance from eachother OR check their passports and fill the arena/theatre.

Choices, choices..... :|

For a small town burger joint the options may not make that much of a difference but for a bar in Helsinki to double the amount of customers and being allowed to stay open till the wee hours can probably triple or quadruple the income.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Btw, last year, when there was a 30 spectator limit, many hockey teams converted parts of the bleachers to "restaurants".

There was no restriction for how many people a restaurant could take in, just rules for how close to eachother people could be seated and a set closing time.

By adding tables and a set menu, teams could sell a few hundred "meals" on top of the 30 tickets they could sell.

Only problem was that sometimes when games went into overtime, they had to whisk all the restaurant visitors out before the game had ended... :lol:

Now that was popular! :mrgreen:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.