Beijing 2022 Canadian Roster

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Beijing 2022 Canadian Roster

Post by theman »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:48 am
Micky wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:39 am Thatcher Demko should get a call from the US. Hard to think any other Canuck will be representing their Country other then Pettersson and probably Hughes. Really long shots might be Horvat and Miller but that would probably only be in a 4th line center role. Doubt Boeser gets called.
Per: Would OEL still get consideration?
And yet you thought Boeser could make a stronger Canada squad. :lol:

FTR I think all of Boeser, Miller and Garland have a decent shot to make the US team. I can’t see all of them making it but you never know. With Demko and Hughes also having a good shot to make the team that’s five guys.
I would expect Demko to possibly make it as 3rd string goalie at least. I don't follow every players birth lace so who is his competition? Doubt Garland makes it, but do think Boeser and Hughes have strong chances, Miller could make it in a bottom 6 role.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Micky wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:39 am Per: Would OEL still get consideration?
Absolutely! The articles I’ve read speculating on what the Swedish roster will look like all have him on it.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Per wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:48 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:22 am an equally as interesting question is what Canucks will make their respective Olympic teams? We know Halak has been asked for Slovakia. Hughes should be a lock for team USA. Boeser should get high consideration too. JT Miller? He will be the one with a lot of question marks. Myers? SO I predict:

USA: Hughes, Boeser, Miller, Demko (does Rathbone get a look)
Sweden: OEL, Pettersson, Hoglander
Russia: Does Podkolzin get a look
Belarussia: Are they playing? Klimovich should get the call
Finland: Nada
Latvia: Slivos
While Höglander is a shoe-in for the World Championship, it'll be harder for him to get an invite to the Olympics. :|

There are 40 Swedish forwards in the NHL, 23 of whom log more TOI than the Hog. 16 have a better PPG average and another four (including Petey) are tied with him. Last year he was 22nd in TOI and 19th in PPG, so it's roughly where he fits. Considering that the roster should have just 22 skaters, my guess is that there will be 14 forwards, so he needs to really step up in what little time is left to make the team, unless they fit him in as some kind of role player, but I don't really see him as that. There's some sandpaper, but not as much as Garland has, and I don't see him as an effective fighter.
Then again, he is probably the best Swedish player at scoring lacrosse goals in hockey, so he does have that going for him...
Anyway, he needs to convince the national team management that he is a better choice than roughly eight players that have better stats than him.
Not an easy task. But we'll see. He is fun to watch, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for him. :thumbs:

I have no doubt he will have a really good shot at making the team in 2026, but this time I think they will go with proven players instead.
Well, unless he scores a couple of hat tricks between now and Xmas. Wouldn't mind if he did. :drink:
Do you think Lucas Raymond could push himself onto the roster if he keeps it up. He's off to a roaring start.
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:08 pm
Per wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:48 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:22 am an equally as interesting question is what Canucks will make their respective Olympic teams? We know Halak has been asked for Slovakia. Hughes should be a lock for team USA. Boeser should get high consideration too. JT Miller? He will be the one with a lot of question marks. Myers? SO I predict:

USA: Hughes, Boeser, Miller, Demko (does Rathbone get a look)
Sweden: OEL, Pettersson, Hoglander
Russia: Does Podkolzin get a look
Belarussia: Are they playing? Klimovich should get the call
Finland: Nada
Latvia: Slivos
While Höglander is a shoe-in for the World Championship, it'll be harder for him to get an invite to the Olympics. :|

There are 40 Swedish forwards in the NHL, 23 of whom log more TOI than the Hog. 16 have a better PPG average and another four (including Petey) are tied with him. Last year he was 22nd in TOI and 19th in PPG, so it's roughly where he fits. Considering that the roster should have just 22 skaters, my guess is that there will be 14 forwards, so he needs to really step up in what little time is left to make the team, unless they fit him in as some kind of role player, but I don't really see him as that. There's some sandpaper, but not as much as Garland has, and I don't see him as an effective fighter.
Then again, he is probably the best Swedish player at scoring lacrosse goals in hockey, so he does have that going for him...
Anyway, he needs to convince the national team management that he is a better choice than roughly eight players that have better stats than him.
Not an easy task. But we'll see. He is fun to watch, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for him. :thumbs:

I have no doubt he will have a really good shot at making the team in 2026, but this time I think they will go with proven players instead.
Well, unless he scores a couple of hat tricks between now and Xmas. Wouldn't mind if he did. :drink:
Do you think Lucas Raymond could push himself onto the roster if he keeps it up. He's off to a roaring start.
I wouldn't bet any good money on it, but sure, if he can keep producing on a ppg clip, I'm sure they'll give him a good look.
He's another player that should be a lock for 2026 though.

Picked him up for my Yahoo fantasy team though. Him and Bertuzzi having some great chemistry.
A Swedish sniper and a bonehead called Bertuzzi - The junior WCE? :look:

I guess that would make Larkin the new BMo.. Sure, he's from Michigan, where Brendan played college hockey. Fair enough. :|
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The talking heads were wondering aloud the other day whether Tom Wilson might be a serious candidate to play in the Olympics for Canada. He’s almost a point a game this year, is a pretty physical force and can move for a big fella. He just can’t help but think he’d cross the line in the pussified IIHF tournament. Food for thought.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:34 am The talking heads were wondering aloud the other day whether Tom Wilson might be a serious candidate to play in the Olympics for Canada. He’s almost a point a game this year, is a pretty physical force and can move for a big fella. He just can’t help but think he’d cross the line in the pussified IIHF tournament. Food for thought.
You're right, he'd be hopeless with Olympics officiating.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

ESQ wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:23 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:34 am The talking heads were wondering aloud the other day whether Tom Wilson might be a serious candidate to play in the Olympics for Canada. He’s almost a point a game this year, is a pretty physical force and can move for a big fella. He just can’t help but think he’d cross the line in the pussified IIHF tournament. Food for thought.
You're right, he'd be hopeless with Olympics officiating.
This. He will have a target on his back from day one with the international refs. Not sure he kills penalties (mostly because he is in the box) - and no way he is a top 10 player on the squad, so likely wouldn't get PP mins either.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Btw, shouldn't this be in the Team Canada section? Perhaps merged with the 2022 Winter Olympics thread?

Just asking for a friend. :look:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:27 am Btw, shouldn't this be in the Team Canada section? Perhaps merged with the 2022 Winter Olympics thread?

In a perfect world yes.

But unfortunately most don't venture into that forum.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:40 pm
Per wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:27 am Btw, shouldn't this be in the Team Canada section? Perhaps merged with the 2022 Winter Olympics thread?

In a perfect world yes.

But unfortunately most don't venture into that forum.
Yeah that there forum requires scrolling on the main page.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Let's try again somewhere else in four years. x to Beijing. Too many complications, just not worth it.

NHL players would have to quarantine for three weeks before returning home from China.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Micky wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:59 am Let's try again somewhere else in four years. x to Beijing. Too many complications, just not worth it.

NHL players would have to quarantine for three weeks before returning home from China.
They’ll let you know Gomer
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

It sounds like the NHL wont be there anyway.

Out of curiosity, who wants to stay up all night watching games in east asia? I never watch those ones
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:59 am Let's try again somewhere else in four years. x to Beijing. Too many complications, just not worth it.

Okay, how 'bout Italy?

And the quarantine is up to 5 weeks there Infoman...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:33 pm

Okay, how 'bout Italy?

And the quarantine is up to 5 weeks there Infoman...
Aren't these quarantines only if players/athletes test positive?

Of course being China, they will all test positive! The respective national Olympic committee and insurance covering the costs for added stays. Gotta pay for the venues somehow I guess.