World Juniors 2021

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: World Juniors 2021

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:53 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:53 am I take it that this is how he plays in sweden and one of the reasons why he made the team. Hes an agitator/rat who also happens to have some game. If he dings that late shot post and in he would be a hero.

Is he now Vancouvers top center prospect? :wow:
I sense a smell of coho to this kid
I noticed the Pod has a bit of a jew fro like CoHo...

:P

If the costmar kid is over hyped then him being a 7th rounder should ease the burn.

But is he the teams top center prospect?
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Pod plays an NHL ready game. I see him challenging for a spot right off the hop.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

UWSaint wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:31 am Canada-Finland; USA-Sweden. These should be great games. Both games are to win the group, but the USA-Sweden game is way more important — really for all four teams. I’m not sure the tiebreak rules if they draw in regulation and USA wins in overtime and Russia, Sweden, and USA end up with 8 points, but if there’s a regulation win, it means the winner takes the group and it means the two losers of these two contests will have the misfortune of drawing one another in the quarterfinals.

I’m thinking USA has the edge. This USA team seems deeper than most years, and this is a group with a lot of tourney experience. As for Canada-Finland, this is the first game where either is going to feel stressed and it will be interesting to see how the players respond. If Canada is committed to dictating the play and putting Finland in reaction mode, they should win. But if they get a little conservative, Finland can hang with them fine and has plenty of ability to counter or win a game coming down to special teams.

Happy new year!
First tiebreaker is how they fared against eachother, second is goal differential but will not be needed.

If Sweden wins, regardless of how and when, they win the group, Russia comes second and USA third.
If they lose, regardless of how and when, they finish third.

If the US wins in regulation, they win the group.
If the US wins in ot or on penalties they come second after Russia, as Russia beat them 5-3, and both they and Russia beat Sweden.

The winner of group B gets Slovakia in the QF.
The team in second place gets Germany.
The team finishing third gets the loser in the Finland vs Canada game
And the winner of group A geys to play the Czechs, who lost big against Sweden and the US but beat Russia. A moody lot. Good at defending a lead, but if they start to lose, they tend to lose big.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

What the fuck is with Tim Hortons cultural appropriation of snow men.

Stick to shitty coffee and doughnuts
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

They just had a lame game, Per. Happens to everyone. Squeezing the sticks a wee bit.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mark Masters
Quarterfinal Saturday is set at the 2021 #WorldJuniors

12 pm ET....9 am PT
🇷🇺🆚🇩🇪....Russia vs. Germany

3:30 pm ET....12:30 pm PT
🇫🇮🆚🇸🇪....Finland vs. Sweden

7 pm ET....4 pm PT
🇨🇦🆚🇨🇿....Canada vs. Czech Republic

10:30 pm ET....7:30 pm PT
🇺🇸🆚🇸🇰....United States vs. Slovakia

8:58 PM · Dec 31, 2020
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Micky wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:33 pm They just had a lame game, Per. Happens to everyone. Squeezing the sticks a wee bit.
Yeah, also a tough schedule, the two games that matter within 24 hours...

I think the main problem is they don’t score on the power play. Not against Russia, not against the US.
Special teams matter. They decide championships. You need to be able to score on your power play.

Oh well, we play Finland. That’s a toss up. We can take them.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Sweden's entire game could be defined up by their penalty shot
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:32 am Sweden's entire game could be defined up by their penalty shot
And/or by the first USA goal.

The loss to Russia rattled the Swedes.

Their goaltender didn’t help them in this one. 1st and 4th goals were the result of inattentive positioning.

Whatever. They’re kids. Expectations are way too high on the big 4 teams.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:15 am
Topper wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:32 am Sweden's entire game could be defined up by their penalty shot
Their goaltender didn’t help them in this one. 1st and 4th goals were the result of inattentive positioning.
Basically all four.

First and second go in from no angle at the near post. That should simply not be possible, the goalie needs to be completely solid there. The third goes in right by his left elbow. He needs to be bigger there. The fourth, he is too far out, let’s the player in behind him.

I don’t get it. Alnefeldt is a really solid goalie. He is already a starter in the SHL. He should have saved all four.

Also, why didn’t he get the start against Russia when he’s our #1?

My guess he wasn’t feeling well. Maybe a fever, maybe some slight injury, and so they rested him against Russia.
Then he claimed to be ready to go against the US, but wasn’t. That’s my best guess.
After they yanked him, Wållstedt was solid and took everything.

It’ll be interesting to see who gets the start against Finland.
Last edited by Per on Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

2nd goal was a seeing eye puck. Watch most NHL goalies that’s a hole that is always there but not often exploited because it’s a hard spot to hit. I’d be willing to bet that at the NHL level less than 50% of goals scored there are NOT because the shooter was aiming. Even less at this level. The only way for a goalie to properly seal that corner is by being 6’8” or with his head.

3rd goal was also puck luck. Hit his arm and angled up into the top corner, I’d wager that 80% of the time that goes off his arm wide.

I’m not saying the goalie was on, he clearly wasn’t. Even the play leading up to the first goal, he should have caught that puck and not had it bat into the corner off his glove.

He was a bit off yesterday.

Regardless. This further proves my theory that You are a very subjectively biased analyst. :lol:

Barring a Canada vs USA gold medal game I think Sweden vs Finland will be the hottest rivalry game of the tournament.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

There has only been one entertaining game and that was sweden vs russia, the rest have been absolutely terrible hockey.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Podkolzin can turn on a dime. Unbelievably quick on the puck. Seems to have great on ice awareness as well.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

So...JT Miller or Shakir Mohammedoulin?

Any further criticism of that trade can be buried once and for all. SM can hope to one day be as good as a Tyler Meyers if everything goes right for the kid. Another Benning fleecing
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:07 am Another Benning fleecing
This was a good trade for both teams. Tampa got two high picks and the Canucks got a good player on a great contract. Just out of curiosity what are the other “fleecings” ? :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”