World Juniors 2021

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: World Juniors 2021

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Watching the Americans celebrate while that old dude did a monologue over by the boards in French was pretty surreal...
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:08 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:54 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:53 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:30 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:27 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:26 pm Wow it's worth than I thought. I thought Quinn was 18 but he turned 19 in September. This is his last year of eligibility for the tournament. Jeezus eighth overall and he's yer invisible 13th forward in his last year.
8th overall? Try 2nd. Ouch
Yes, and the Kings took Turcotte out of the US program instead of the clearly superior Zegras.

Could have had Stutzle and Zegras, landed Byfield and Turcotte.
Turcotte looked good out there
Sure, but Zegras is the better player.
I’d take Byram over either, but at this stage Zegras is ahead of Turcotte.
Byram was looking sloppy at times tonight. Think he was trying to do too much. It’s a toss up. Can’t complain with either/or. It’s in my astute opinion that Turcotte will never at “any stage” be better than Zegras. Zegras is like the American Elias Pettersson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:05 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:02 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:57 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:46 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:37 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:36 pm Braden Schneider is gonna be a damn good dman
He’s a beast, I like him a lot
He was drafted at least ten spots too late. Still don't get it...
Along with Schneider, the Rangers also have great D prospects in K’Andre Miller and Nils Lundkvist as well. They have the no. 1 ranked NHL affiliated prospect in the world in Igor Shesterkin. Lundkvist was ranked 22nd and Miller 43rd on the same list. Forward Kravtsov was ranked 36th. Doyle can have the LA Kings for all I care. The Rangers are the future
And a certain Alexis Lafreniere to boot :D
And Kappo Kappa
Holy crap. The Rangers need to win the draft lottery one more time :D
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:12 pm Funny thing.... due to College and USHL in business and Canadian Junior Hockey being shut down, only five Canadians had actually played meaningful games before the tournament. 16 Americans had played a avoid 1/4 season, only five Trumpettes hadn’t suited up in a real game until the tourney started.

The better team lost. US collapsed around their goalie, got a couple breaks on post and capitalized in the O zone when they needed to.

Not concerning as a fan of Canadian hockey. We’ve still throatpumped the world in Men’s best on best for the last 20 years
Over a 7 game series the Canadians win hands down. The Americans did exactly as you said. The Canadian coach should’ve seen it coming and had a counter plan but didn’t.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Goddamn that TSN music was awful though. It'll take me a day or two to shake that out of my consciousness...
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cozens most impressive Canadian for me. Brandon Schneider wins the “pleasant surprise” award for me. He just oozes solid NHL defenceman

Stutzle and Lundell and Raymond were impressive regarding 2020 draft picks as well as Drysdale, Guhle and Schneider. Wasn’t overly impressed by Perfetti, Sanderson, Quinn, Holloway, Mercer and especially Byfield
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The music was shit. Full marks to the Yanks but Canada should have showed up with more urgency. Good first ten minutes, horrible five minute stretch , then a rotten start to the 2nd.

Zegras is seriously skilled. I am thinking for Canucks I’d take Byram cuz we need a D. If you needed a C, that kid is the shit. As the Chef said, the Ducks just nailed two first rounders with he and Drysdale.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:12 pm Not concerning as a fan of Canadian hockey. We’ve still throatpumped the world in Men’s best on best for the last 20 years
Way to put some clarity to it Blobcat.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Spencer Knight and Trevor Zegras had great games. Still hard to believe Canada didn't get one across the line. All those scrambles and deflections.
Canada could have used it's bench a little better but obviously in a one game, all for nothing situation, that doesn't usually happen.
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:23 pm The music was shit. Full marks to the Yanks but Canada should have showed up with more urgency. Good first ten minutes, horrible five minute stretch , then a rotten start to the 2nd.

Zegras is seriously skilled. I am thinking for Canucks I’d take Byram cuz we need a D. If you needed a C, that kid is the shit. As the Chef said, the Ducks just nailed two first rounders with he and Drysdale.
Agree. Byram is a top D prospect all teams would love to have but damn, both Zegras & Drysdale... that is like two grand slams in the same inning.

TSN needs to fire the music director. Fuck, that shit is horrid.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:04 pm
TSN needs to fire the music director. Fuck, that shit is horrid.
Ya, but all of it? The whole works? .Tsn's presentation could have been better but they don't get much action anymore. The replays, like on the net scrambles just isn't the quality we're use to seeing. Out of shape and probably low on budget quota.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Canada 18 gold medals
US 5 gold medals

For whatever reason Canada squeezes the sticks against the Orange Trumpettes in the final game going 1 and 4. I still maintain the CHL not playing this season and the US colleges and USHL going full swing had an effect on the team looking a bit rusty. The Canadian coaching staff also need to be called on the carpet.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:12 pm
Not concerning as a fan of Canadian hockey. We’ve still throatpumped the world in Men’s best on best for the last 20 years
Not sure about throat pumped, but dominated, sure.
In the five Olympic tournaments between 2002 and 2018 ...

Canada has three golds (2002, 2010, 2014) and a bronze (2018)
Sweden has a gold (2006) and a silver (2014)
Russia has a gold (2018) and a bronze (2002)
The USA has two silvers (2002, 2010)
Finland has a silver (2006) and two bronzes (2010, 2014)
Germany has a silver (2018)
and the Czechs have a bronze (2006).

Granted, the 2018 tournament was sabotaged by Bettman, so that one may not count.
If so, deduct the gold for Russia, the silver for Germany and the bronze for Canada.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Add in the World Cup of Hockey Per, 2004, 2016. Canada won both.

So throw out 2018 of course and Canada is 5/6
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Canada just experience the "Swedish Effect"

The Swedish Effect is being in the weak grouping with next to no competition that you run the table against and only experience true competition during the gold medal game.

These one and done tournaments require a team to lose a game early to help ground their egos and allow them to focus.

Losing early is the only way to acheive this in my opinion
If you need air...call it in