World Juniors 2021

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: World Juniors 2021

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The endless showering of praise and calling them the "greatest team ever" was also a factor. They barely have ball fuzz yet there was the entire country all telling them how unstoppable they were while barely acknowledging the americans as a worthy opponent.

Button- "if canada loses it would be a massive upset"

Fuck off you soul glow fruitloop
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Per wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:13 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:12 pm
Not concerning as a fan of Canadian hockey. We’ve still throatpumped the world in Men’s best on best for the last 20 years
Not sure about throat pumped, but dominated, sure.
In the five Olympic tournaments between 2002 and 2018 ...

Canada has three golds (2002, 2010, 2014) and a bronze (2018)
Sweden has a gold (2006) and a silver (2014)
Russia has a gold (2018) and a bronze (2002)
The USA has two silvers (2002, 2010)
Finland has a silver (2006) and two bronzes (2010, 2014)
Germany has a silver (2018)
and the Czechs have a bronze (2006).

Granted, the 2018 tournament was sabotaged by Bettman, so that one may not count.
If so, deduct the gold for Russia, the silver for Germany and the bronze for Canada.
Bronze and silvers don't count, Canada won 3 of the 5 Olympics, may not be a total throat pumping but other countries are for sure having some throat soothers. Also as you said 2018 dies not count so Canada won 3 of 4, no?
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:31 am The endless showering of praise and calling them the "greatest team ever" was also a factor. They barely have ball fuzz yet there was the entire country all telling them how unstoppable they were while barely acknowledging the americans as a worthy opponent.

Button- "if canada loses it would be a massive upset"

Fuck off you soul glow fruitloop
I enjoyed the look on Button's face when Canada got beat immensely.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:04 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:23 pm The music was shit. Full marks to the Yanks but Canada should have showed up with more urgency. Good first ten minutes, horrible five minute stretch , then a rotten start to the 2nd.

Zegras is seriously skilled. I am thinking for Canucks I’d take Byram cuz we need a D. If you needed a C, that kid is the shit. As the Chef said, the Ducks just nailed two first rounders with he and Drysdale.
Agree. Byram is a top D prospect all teams would love to have but damn, both Zegras & Drysdale... that is like two grand slams in the same inning.

TSN needs to fire the music director. Fuck, that shit is horrid.
That music was pure dog shit. Every note was trash.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

:D :lol:
Ryan Whitney
@ryanwhitney6
· 11h
Flag of United StatesTEAM USA WORLD CHAMPIONSFlag of United States

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status ... 63266?s=20
el rey del mambo
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:28 am Canada just experience the "Swedish Effect"

The Swedish Effect is being in the weak grouping with next to no competition that you run the table against and only experience true competition during the gold medal game.

These one and done tournaments require a team to lose a game early to help ground their egos and allow them to focus.

Losing early is the only way to acheive this in my opinion
Yeah they weren’t tested until the final and they pissed the bed. The US played well, full marks to them. I don’t see the downfall of Canadian Hockey as some might. These kids have heaps of pressure on them in this tournament. The pros know how to deal with it better and it’s quite a burden these youngsters have to lug around if they lose.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Was Canada that good or were the rest just mediocre this year? Clearly Canada and the US were above the rest, Finland and Russia had their moments, but nothing consistent. The rest, barf.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:45 am Was Canada that good or were the rest just mediocre this year? Clearly Canada and the US were above the rest, Finland and Russia had their moments, but nothing consistent. The rest, barf.
Yeah it was a weak field this year. I’m sure the COVID had an effect on things but everyone but Germany was playing on a level field. Just seems like a lack of depth of talent in that 2001/02 group of kids other than Canada and the US. The Finns were hard working but didn’t have any depth. Sweden was a big disappointment.

Jack Hughes, Alexis Lafreniere, Kirby Dach, Kappo Kakko might have made a difference in star power
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:45 am Was Canada that good or were the rest just mediocre this year?
This. I have been watching this tournament for years and cant recall a weaker collection outside of the Canadian and American teams. You could've made a better tournament from 3 teams, Canada, USA and the rest of the world. It might have been watchable at least.
If you need air...call it in
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:16 pm Over a 7 game series the Canadians win hands down. The Americans did exactly as you said. The Canadian coach should’ve seen it coming and had a counter plan but didn’t.
Maybe. But we've seen lots of 7 games series' where the less skilled team won with (1) better goaltending, (2) good defense, and (3) a hot player or line. That's a good formula for Davids vs. Goliaths.

Last night, Canada started the first decently and ended the second well. But it was all USA in between, and when it was the USA, the tilt of the ice was extreme. The third period was classic collapse and clear. Its how you play a 2-0 game against a team with a lot of firepower. I don't put anything into the ice tilt in this period; if you are focused entirely on minimizing high quality chances, your breakout opportunities are diminished. If you are taking short shifts, your defense-through-possession opportunities are similarly limited.

Canada took time to find its footing after the first USA goal -- its almost like they were sent to the mat on a punch they weren't prepared for and were wobbly for a bit -- but Canada did find its footing. This was not a game Canada blew as much as one that USA won by (1) scoring first, (2) not panicking, and (3) not going into a shell too early. For most of the game, Canada had its footing and the USA were absolutely keeping up. They weren't trading punch for punch, but they were getting plenty of openings all while keeping up a better guard.

Last point -- I don't know where the idea was that this USA team wasn't all that special. Sure, USA has probably had better teams, both objectively an in comparison to the rest of the field. But this USA team was full of WJC experience and first round picks -- far more than usual. Its a far cry from 2004 where the USA basically used two lines for the last half of the game. This squad was deep. And while it was Zegras' line that did by far the most damage in the tournament, the other lines were not liabilities like they often are.
Hono_rary Canadian
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:53 am
Topper wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:45 am Was Canada that good or were the rest just mediocre this year? Clearly Canada and the US were above the rest, Finland and Russia had their moments, but nothing consistent. The rest, barf.
Yeah it was a weak field this year. I’m sure the COVID had an effect on things but everyone but Germany was playing on a level field. Just seems like a lack of depth of talent in that 2001/02 group of kids other than Canada and the US. The Finns were hard working but didn’t have any depth. Sweden was a big disappointment.

Jack Hughes, Alexis Lafreniere, Kirby Dach, Kappo Kakko might have made a difference in star power
I agree that Sweden was a big disappointment, but I think a lot of it may have been the lack of coaching.
Most of the coaching staff was left at home in Sweden as they all tested positive. A 30 year old with no head coach experience ended up in charge. We played decent games against Russia (lost in ot) and Finland (took an early 2-0 lead then stopped playing and just seemingly tried to defend the score...). With better coaching we might have had a shot at the bronze, but clearly the two North American teams stood out this year.
We would not have had a shot at the gold. At least we beat the Czechs rather convincingly.

We also left two of our best centres at home and Broberg was nurturing some kind of injury, but that's shit that happens to all teams.
I think the coaching was our main problem. A more experienced coach could have gotten them back to playing hockey vs Finland.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.