World Juniors 2018

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: World Juniors 2018

Post by 2Fingers »

God Skyo have him play with LE??? Really????

You must do a lot of hit of white powder to think that would help in his development.

Put him with talented players.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 pm Re: Pettersson weight issue.

It's why if he makes the Canucks on his talent alone next season, it's best if he's sheltered in between a veteran two-way presence in Eriksson and the rugged & even bigger dude by next year Virtanen, because every year he should be piling on the lean muscle, JV should be gunning for the optimal Iginla size of 6'1 - 210/215lbs.
As if jumping into the small-ice NHL isn’t hard enough. You want him to do it while trying to put on muscle (ie in the gym a lot) and playing on a horrific team in a demanding market. He was deadly on the PP in the tourney but Canada exposed him 5-on-5 and in his own zone. He’s clearly not ready for NHL action.

He’ll come when he’s ready. If he blows the doors off like Boeser that’s great, but I’d rather try the Nylander route with him and suck him in Utica to learn the NA game and get on the training and diet plan away from the unreasonable expectations in Vancouver. Or leave him in Europe and have that ELC slide again. Having him and Juolevi bulking up and still on ELC into their 20’s would not be a bad thing.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Good game between two good teams, eventhough the refs did their best to destroy it.
22 Pim for Sweden and just 2 for Canada. Seriously?!

Apparently embellishing is no longer a taboo gor Canadian players. Sad.
But Sweden's penalty killing is top notch, so we didn't give up a single goal against shorthanded and instead scored one.
We really could have benefitted from some powerplay time though, which is when Pettersson and Nylander really shine.

Oh well.

Great goaltending on both sides. None of the goals were soft, well, except for the empty netter.
All in all a good game with some really promising players on both sides.

Congrats Canada. We'll beat you next time! :wink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:33 am

It's why if he makes the Canucks on his talent alone next season, it's best if he's sheltered in between a veteran two-way presence in Eriksson and the rugged & even bigger dude by next year Virtanen, because every year he should be piling on the lean muscle, JV should be gunning for the optimal Iginla size of 6'1 - 210/215lbs.
As if jumping into the small-ice NHL isn’t hard enough. You want him to do it while trying to put on muscle (ie in the gym a lot) and playing on a horrific team in a demanding market. He was deadly on the PP in the tourney but Canada exposed him 5-on-5 and in his own zone. He’s clearly not ready for NHL action.

He’ll come when he’s ready. If he blows the doors off like Boeser that’s great, but I’d rather try the Nylander route with him and suck him in Utica to learn the NA game and get on the training and diet plan away from the unreasonable expectations in Vancouver. Or leave him in Europe and have that ELC slide again. Having him and Juolevi bulking up and still on ELC into their 20’s would not be a bad thing.
The Pettersson weight issue is a non issue. It is only a matter of time.

He has the skills. He just needs to add muscle. Lots of teenagers get scrawny when they add inches of height faster than they can add weight. Pettersson knows he needs to bulk up, and I'm sure that will be his main focus this summer.

He'll be ready when he is ready. Next season or the one after that.
Patience, grasshopper. Patience.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Per wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:23 am

The Pettersson weight issue is a non issue. It is only a matter of time.

He has the skills. He just needs to add muscle. Lots of teenagers get scrawny when they add inches of height faster than they can add weight. Pettersson knows he needs to bulk up, and I'm sure that will be his main focus this summer.

He'll be ready when he is ready. Next season or the one after that.
Patience, grasshopper. Patience.
Pretty much exactly what I said.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Negative.

He'll make the team next year, book it.

He's just too good, he's like a 1st overall pick if you will, draft+1.

Why I want protection for him in a bigger/older Jake Virtanen & his new mentor Eriksson.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol Virtanen isn’t a protector.

Eriksson should be wearing a ski mask and packing a gun. The guy is a thief. I’d prefer to keep that guy as far away from Petersson as possible. The kid will play when he’s ready. Zero reason to shoehorn him onto a horrific squad
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Id say another year in europe then a year or 2 in utica before hes ready to challenge for an nhl roster spot.

Theres no way he will be hanging onto pucks like he was doing at this tournament when he was danglin. He needs 40 more pounds of muscle added to that pipecleaner frame.
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:09 am Lol Virtanen isn’t a protector.

Eriksson should be wearing a ski mask and packing a gun. The guy is a thief. I’d prefer to keep that guy as far away from Petersson as possible. The kid will play when he’s ready. Zero reason to shoehorn him onto a horrific squad
I'd just as soon see them NEVER share the dressing room together.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:47 pm Pettersen
Mittlestadt
Hischier

3 best players from 2017 draft class, Makar shouldn't have gone in the top 20
:lol:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:48 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:47 pm Pettersen
Mittlestadt
Hischier

3 best players from 2017 draft class, Makar shouldn't have gone in the top 20
:lol:
The chef is so consistently wrong about prospects that NHL scouting staffs regularly scour this board and pick the exact opposite of his prognostications
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Did you know that Doyle wanted Vilardi or Glass instead of Pettersson?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:47 am Did you know that Doyle wanted Vilardi or Glass instead of Pettersson?
So did you
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft
Post Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:52 am

Chef Boi RD's Best Player Available List

1. Hischier
2. Patrick