World Cup 2016

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Per
CC Legend

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by Per » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:23 am

Topper wrote:97% of hockey experts agree, the modern ice sheet has changed. Team defence and fast puck movement is the modern game. No longer is board crunching intimidation to slow the pace an effective style.

Deniers, such as Burke and Lombardi still prefer their Coltons orr the modern, evolved Bobbys.

In other news this morning, Ryan Kesler has renounced his US citizenship citing his desire for for a Championship he is demanding refugee status in Canada.
Daniel Alfredsson actually became a Canadian citizen today at a ceremony in Toronto. :|

He is keeping his Swedish also though, as we now accept dual citizenships after Ulf Samuelsson being disqualified in Nagano.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:26 am

Backlund received a hit to the head from Lepistö yesterday and will probably not play tonight against the Young Guns. This would mean Patrik Berglund will dress instead.

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:07 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:Kessell had hand surgery anyways and might might miss the start of the regular season. Not sure he'd be ready to go for the the US regardless.
Not the impression he gave with his tweet last night.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/phil-kesse ... soc_trk=tw
Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it.
For some reason I hated Phil a little bit less after that! :lol:

Mondi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Mondi » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:58 am

Aaronp18 wrote:But it's not about putting the most talented players out there and letting them try to win. It assembling the best TEAM. Canada has figured this out, I think the US tried to do this but failed miserably!

Subban was traded from Montreal for a reason. Probably the same reason he was left off the Canadian roster! He's a great talent but sometimes the attitude simply doesn't mesh. Maybe he'll figure it out after being moved and left off this team!

Regardless, Canada showed the Americans what a team is tonight and they didn't even play their best game.
Well he's a question for you, if it is about assembling best TEAM, and the USA team got shit kicked, how can one not question the omissions?

In my opinion, Kessel was left off, and should have been added. And, unfortunately, they USA didn't have access to Eichel, Matthews, Larkin, and Gaudreau. All of which would have sparked the US offense.

How much better would those five have looked than Abdelkader, Dubinsky, Steppan...etc.

As for PK? Do you guys work for the Canadiens? He's a better defenceman than Jake Muzzin or Jay Bouwmeester. Case closed. This tournament is WAY too short for his so called "attitude" to affect the team. Not to mention he'd have to answer to Toews, Crosby, Weber, Tavares...etc...etc...etc...if he started to fuck about. I suggest you watch some tape of this guy playing in the playoffs and reconsider your position.

But really, what's to debate? Canada is missing key pieces and still rolled the USA. The USA is missing maybe one or two guys they could have had on the team, and weren't anywhere close. Bottom line, Canada has better players.

Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Puck » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:23 am

Is it just me, or was that game only marginally engaging? If this is Bettman's attempt to offer something in place of the Olympics, I'm not sold.

SWE:FIN - Superb setup on Stralman's goal by the bros.

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:44 am

Mondi wrote: Well he's a question for you, if it is about assembling best TEAM, and the USA team got shit kicked, how can one not question the omissions?
Not entirely sure where you think I'm not questioning the omissions, I said they tried to assemble the best team but failed miserably. They are lacking skill, but as has been stated that's a Burke trademark - yknow the whole truculence thing. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see Kessel is not his type of player!
Mondi wrote: How much better would those five have looked than Abdelkader, Dubinsky, Steppan...etc.
They would look better for sure, might be able to beat Team Europe but Canada would add McDavid and have access to their younger players but I doubt anyone else from that roster would make the full team Canada roster. Maybe Ekblad.
Mondi wrote: But really, what's to debate? Canada is missing key pieces and still rolled the USA. The USA is missing maybe one or two guys they could have had on the team, and weren't anywhere close. Bottom line, Canada has better players.
Exactly! As of right now leaving PK off the team looks like the right decision, Team Canada has looked great.

Sure PK may be a better player than some of the other guys on the team but it takes the right mix of guys especially in a short tourney like this. And a wrong attitude can play a big role. A guy not willing to take a lesser role, or commit to a style that may not be his type of game, or have a me first attitude can be detrimental.

You don't have to work for the Habs to logically understand that there's a reason they traded him. If it was simply about talent and his on ice play he'd still be there. And he likely would've been named to the team Canada roster, but again there's a reason he was omitted. He was on the 2014 Olympic team but only appeared once (in his Norris winning season no less), then left off this team!

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Not a good start for Sweden... :shock:

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:02 pm

The kids were ahead 2-0 after a minute and a half, despite Lundquist making a save on a penalty shot... :crazy:

They're ahead 3-2 after the first period, so Sweden is back in the game after looking like traffic cones for the first few minutes.

The young guns are incredibly fast, create turnovers and have good offense, but Gibson looks rather shaky and is not getting much help from his defence, who take stupid penalties when under pressure.

I think there will be lots of goals both ways in this game.
Hopefully Sweden comes out on top. :|

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:05 pm

Soon the USA will have Boeser too!!
The only HW the Canucks need

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:22 pm

Patrik Berglund!

3-3

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:31 pm

Jesus Christ Mondi. Subban is a right handed shot. On the right side are Vlasic, Weber and Doughty. Why the fuck are you comparing him to Boumeester and Muzzin ? Babcock and TC brass want an equal number of left and right shots back there.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:48 pm

3-3 in regulation

Sweden wins the group! 8-)

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:58 pm

North America scores in ot.

Both teams win.

Young guns win the game, Sweden wins the group.

If Russia beats Finland in regulation, they come in second.

Mondi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Mondi » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:51 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Jesus Christ Mondi. Subban is a right handed shot. On the right side are Vlasic, Weber and Doughty. Why the fuck are you comparing him to Boumeester and Muzzin ? Babcock and TC brass want an equal number of left and right shots back there.
Ok, well I'd take PK over Vlasic and probably Weber. I'd also take PK playing on the wrong side over Muzzin.

Anyways, whatever. Not a big issue.

Just saying that Canada could probably have iced an even better team without injuries and various selections.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:50 pm

Sorry Mondi I was thinking of Pieterangleo , not Vlasic. Sure Subban might be better than Weber and for sure more dynamic, but obviously Babs isn't a fan. As I said Canada could put in another men's team and they could easily and quite likely meet in the finals.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES