World Juniors 2015

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: World Juniors 2015

Post by Topper »

Nothing like a little sand in the vaseline to irritate.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Sweden off to a good start, 5-2 vs Czechs and 5-1 vs Denmark.
I don't think this team is a contender though. The D-men make far too many mistakes, but the offense to some extent makes up for that, at least against weaker teams. Against Denmark, Swedn had 9 SOG in the first period and scored three goals. That is an effectiveness rarely associated with Swedish teams.

Once we face the real contenders though, teams like Russia, Finland and the favourites US and Canada, I'm afraid our weak blueline will prove itself a fatal flaw. :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hey Per is Kylington living up to his draft hype? Can you see him as an affective top 4 d-man in the NHL? How about top 2 pairing? What are his strengths and faults and NHL d- men your compare him to?

Any thoughts in Forsling?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Hey Per is Kylington living up to his draft hype? Can you see him as an affective top 4 d-man in the NHL? How about top 2 pairing? What are his strengths and faults and NHL d- men your compare him to?
Any details on on Kylington's injury? He played during the pre-competition exhibition games and didn't look good at all. The Swedes are being pretty tight-lipped about why he's out of the World Juniors.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Did not know he was injured

Seems to me, from scanning different rankings that he and Werenski are going in opposite directions. Can't say I was impressed with Werenski in the Finn game but he seems to be more popular with the scouts than Kylington. Hanafin didn't knock me out either
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Did not know he was injured

Seems to me, from scanning different rankings that he and Werenski are going in opposite directions. Can't say I was impressed with Werenski in the Finn game either, but that was just one game. But then again Hanafin didn't knock me out either
Speculation is that it was pre-existing, which would account for his poor showing.

As for Hanifin, I didn't find him remarkable, but it is a 19 year olds tournament, and that makes it real tough for a 17 year old d-man to have a major impact. I think back to Ekblad last year, who had his moments, but for the most part wasn't overly impressive to me.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Devils have been quite successful drafting D in the 2nd round - Gelinas, Svereson, Merrill. All 3 of them seem to be showing better than their 4th overall pick - Larsson.

Just think its way more of a crap shoot drafting D in the 1st round. Unless its one of Hanafin, Werenski or Kylington. I'd save for drafting a D-man with the second pick instead. I value the forwards, where I think we will be picking from in the 2015 draft - 15 to 22, higher than I do the D prospects after the big 3
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Habs and leaves gotta be happy with their picks JDLR and Nylander...

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Canucks pick Gustav Forsling (5th round pick 2014, 126th Overall) has a PP goal as Sweden leads Russia 1-0, he's now got 1G 2A in 3 games thus far.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Thatcher Demko with the the shutout - USA 3-0 win over Slovakia.
1 goal against in 2 games!
RoyalDude wrote:Hey Per is Kylington living up to his draft hype? Can you see him as an affective top 4 d-man in the NHL? How about top 2 pairing? What are his strengths and faults and NHL d- men your compare him to?

Any thoughts in Forsling?
2 goals this game vs the Russkies.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm all in on drafting Rantanen. Big, skilled winger. Impressed. I like Crouse and Werenski but they are top 10.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Any details on on Kylington's injury? He played during the pre-competition exhibition games and didn't look good at all. The Swedes are being pretty tight-lipped about why he's out of the World Juniors.
Haven't seen that much of him. He's supposedly one of our best D-man prospects, but he's playing on a crap team in the second tier league. Probably a good way to get a lot of ice time..... He's a two way puck moving D-man, which I suppose means he is pretty allround. And yeah, I'm pretty sure he'll definitely be a top four probably top two pairing guy. There are loads of Swedish D-men who are successful in the NHL, and if he is one of the very best in his generation, he should be pretty good. I know most pundits feel it was a severe blow to the Swedish team that he got injured and can't play at the juniors.

I haven't heard exactly what is wrong with him, but they're talking about the backside of his leg or thigh, so I'm thinking charley horse, probably. If it's bad it could take a few weeks, but shouldn't hinder his future development.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Very satisfying win against Russia last night!
Sweden played a lot better D than in the two wins against the Czechs and Danes.
Then again, in those games they could play sloppy and get away with it.
This time, when they had to, they managed to play much better, and it paid off.
Seems like we're winning the group.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Well at least Forsling has a couple inches on Subban. Still, always tough for a 5'-11" d-man to make in the NHL
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Well at least Forsling has a couple inches on Subban. Still, always tough for a 5'-11" d-man to make in the NHL
Quite true, but Eliteprospects has him at 6'0, 181. If he can get to that 6'0 190/195, he's not that far off a Hamhuis (6'1, 205) or a Bieksa (6'0, 195-200). If he can continue to be an offensive threat at the next level, his size (which isn't tiny), is mitigated. Guys like Barrie, Krug, Ellis, Letang and others show that if you're offensively gifted enough, you can make it in the NHL. Hell, even Marc-André Bergeron scored 15 goals in an NHL season.