World Juniors 2015

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: World Juniors 2015

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You can see that this McDavid is on another level. Everything he does with the puck is usually good
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I like Crowses size, speed, smarts and skill. Don't think he's gonna be available beyond the 10th pick
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:You can see that this McDavid is on another level. Everything he does with the puck is usually good
And he's still obviously not right after his wrist injury. Still getting back into game-shape. Team Canada looks real good, considering they have 7 goals and McDavid hasn't been a factor at all. If (when?) he gets going, look out.

Virtanen has played well so far.

Slovakia sucks.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lazar needs to stop thinking he's shit hot cause he's on loan from the NHL and start bearing down with his play. He's the weak link on the McDavid/Ritchie/Lazar line
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Clutch goaltending by Demko as well.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

A good day for us, both as Canadians and Canucks. :)

Canada lights up a team that they should light up.

Virtanen plays a very strong game in every area of the ice. His last? shift was a beauty. Wicked shoulder to shoulder going for the loose puck, then circles, joins the rush, puts on a burst to drive the net without the puck, and then some real slick hands to pot that rebound. Also added an assist and several more hits I believe. Very noticeable out there. :)

Demko had a really good game. Finland didn't threaten overly much, but he was solid and made some nice saves.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Virtanen is lost without the puck. That 4th line has not come together to play as a line. Jake had a couple of nice "hoop around a barrel" bursts of speed around Slovakian defenders down the wing, but they were Slovakian defenders.

Next time Virtanen flips a defender into Ferrero's box would a skate laceration of Ray's tongue be too much to ask for?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Nothing surprising by that dominating performance. I think Canada is going to go undefeated. Strongest team in a long time. Gold it is.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'd love to see them go undefeated but Russia already showed them a taste in the pre games.
Agree they're strong top to bottom though.

Not sure what you mean Topper...the kid is one of our top forwards in my opinion. Is physically dominant all over the ice, goes to the net, breaks up plays on the backcheck with his speed....
I'd love to see him moved onto a line with higher skilled players to see what he could do.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I think what Topper means is that Virts line has no sustained play in the offensive zone. They are more affective off the rush, dump and chase and forecheck as Crouse and Virtanen are heavy, tenacious. crashing wingers with speed. What's missing from that line is a heads up centre who can make plays, Gauthier is completely useless in that department. Virtanen protects the puck, maintains puck possession and dishes the best on that line. Gauthier is the weak link. Not sure what it is they see in Gauthier. He should be the 13th forward. Him and Lazar have been the most disappointing. But I do agree a little with Topper that Virtanen needs to work on his play away from the puck especially in the offensive zone when his team is trying to maintain puck possession but that's ok in my mind, there are too many positives about the kids game.

Regarding McDavids line, he simply lacks linemates that can play with him. I'm not blaming Ritchie, I like him on McDavids wing as he is good for creating space for Connor in fact Ritchie and McDavid have way better chemistry than Lazar and McDavid. Sam Bennett would have been ideal on McDavids line as he can skate and think on McDavids level and has somewhat comparable skill. I'd swap Point for Lazar. McDavid is doing all that he can out there the kid is pretty phenomenal, always seems to do something good every time he touches the puck
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I'd love to see them go undefeated but Russia already showed them a taste in the pre games.
Agree they're strong top to bottom though.

Not sure what you mean Topper...the kid is one of our top forwards in my opinion. Is physically dominant all over the ice, goes to the net, breaks up plays on the backcheck with his speed....
I'd love to see him moved onto a line with higher skilled players to see what he could do.
Watch him away from the puck and he's floating around waiting for something to happen, not trying to make things happen. He's waiting for the play to come to him. He could offer much better puck support to his linemates. He doesn't get in along the boards to play the cycle.

His hits were better timed yesterday. Give him a sniff of open ice and he's away but I haven't seen him muck in traffic and come away with the puck.

I'm sure everyone would like to lineup with McDavid or Reinhart, but that isn't going to happen. Best make the best with the linemates you have and get on with it.

As I mentioned before, put him with Paul and Ritchie and watch the three of them go N-S.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Virtanen definitely has work to do on reading the cycle, puck support, making himself open for a pass, anticipation but we've known that all along with him. His asset is speed on the rush, crashing and banging, forecheck etc., but the fact that he possesses an amazing shot and is actually good at maintaining puck possession and passing is wht sets him apart from the Zach Kassians of he world. Virtanen is a pure sniper with speed, toughness and size, something this team sorely lacks right now

If the Canucks do drop out of the playoffs it may put us in position to draft Crouse. Can you imagine having the speed, size and crashing of those two on one line with the Canucks? Horvat down the middle?
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Now that you mention it...
I do recall noticing him hovering a bit for what I think are one timers...coaching should sort that out.

Have we had a prospect of late with skating like this kid has?

Love his edge. He hits hard for a kid that age and doesn't seem to take much shit...although this could be exploited by a pest like Marchand who will goad him into penalties.

Really liking this pick by our new GM
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Virtanen definitely has work to do on reading the cycle, puck support, making himself open for a pass, anticipation but we've known that all along with him. His asset is speed on the rush, crashing and banging, forecheck etc., but the fact that he possesses an amazing shot and is actually good at maintaining puck possession and passing is wht sets him apart from the Zach Kassians of he world. Virtanen is a pure sniper with speed, toughness and size, something this team sorely lacks right now
Bingo. Good comparison bringing up Kassian, who is a big body that thrives on the cycle, not the rush. Virtanen has been engaging on the body, and when he gets the puck he knows what to do with it, ditto with the zone-entries. Look at his goal last game, hit the line, go to the net, good things happen. He's not great at the plodding, cycle game that's Gauthier's hallmark. Personally, I'd move Virtanen off that line, his speed is mostly wasted playing with that slug, who can't keep up or get him the puck adequately.

I've been quite happy with Virtanen's game. Most times he gets the puck and drives the zone with speed he's creating something, it's not his fault his C can't keep up and is about as creative as a Seth Rogen flick. I do find it somewhat refreshing watching a guy that has obvious offensive talent, even if he has warts elsewhere in his game. Watching Horvat was fun last year, but it wasn't a flashy / exciting kind of fun, more the "this guy is going to be a pro", he's already playing a pro game, kind of excitement. Virtanen displays all kind of impact player potential, but (like so many offensive studs) the play away from the puck still needs a lot of work to hit the next level.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper, I think you are critiquing him the way you would an NHL player. He's not there yet, and he's still probably the most promising winger we've seen drafted by the Canucks in a long time.

When it comes to the cycle game, he does need to figure out his supporting role. On the rush he is outstanding. His goal last night was not the kind of goal that a guy scores if he is "lost" without the puck. His assist was the result of a good power move from behind the net into traffic that put the puck into feet and eventually onto Paul's stick.

One thing that does have me concerned about his game, when he gets to the pro level, is his rush up the wing with the puck. He favors a bit of a fake and then tries to use his speed to go around a defender after he chips the puck through their legs. This works at this level because the defenseman often forgets himself and turns to follow the puck, at which point Jake blows by them with speed. In the NHL he will get hit hard when he tries that.